polar bear club

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That really depends on what you consider cold? I ride year round and it ain't always warm (like now thru Feb.).

Is there a temperature range needed to join? I got kicked out of the 20 MPH Club for alleged speeding.....can Californians join?

dnut

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
if you ride in weather that you shouldn't naturally enjoy, come on in.

Now that I think of it, maybe this should be a club for riding in generally bad conditions....why limit ourselves to the cold? There's rain, hail, & high winds to think about, too....not to mention the occasional dust-storm, flood, earthquake, shootout, or oil-spill.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Yes sir. I will be riding my motor bike to work all winter long here in the Frozen Tundra of Green Bay. I'll just take a little more time to warm up the motor before I begin my merry jaunt to work.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i rode my elect. bike to work almost every day last winter. coldest day was -14. i kind of like winter riding better. just something about those cold quiet mornings where it's still dark out and the moon is lighting everything up reflecting off the snow.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Interesting club.... I thought riding in sub-zero, snow, ice wind and animal avoidance weather was normal. OK I'm in.

Mac

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
i rode my elect. bike to work almost every day last winter. coldest day was -14. i kind of like winter riding better. just something about those cold quiet mornings where it's still dark out and the moon is lighting everything up reflecting off the snow.
Interesting club.... I thought riding in sub-zero, snow, ice wind and animal avoidance weather was normal. OK I'm in.

Mac
I can't wait to get my headlight working so I can take a long ride through the woods some night when the snow is deep. I took a ride like that on a motorcycle years ago, & it was such great mix of relaxing & exciting....there's nothing like it.

I've been riding mountain bikes in all weather my whole life. A lot of people are cut off from nature nowadays....I guess this is how I stay in contact with it. (Plus, I'm a cheapskate lol)

welcome to the club, gang

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I like riding in winter too. Except when its slushy and some cager passes and soaks me :/ Need a beater bike up here because of the salt, wreaks havoc on studs, cables, well anything metal :p

Gotta love the extra power from freezing air too, eh? :) Coldest I've been out in was around -22F(-30c) only putting around though, I'd freeze to the grips and seat if I tried to go 30, find me frozen to my bike fallen over in a snowbank, lol

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
I probably won't be riding much once the roads become icy since I have street tires on my bike and I've almost ended up in heap already, riding on only slightly snowy roads. This week, good temps in the mid 30's cleaned off the roads, so I putted around for a few miles and will probably ride tomorrow (Christmas Day). Next year, studded tires! Happy Holidays to Polar Bear Club, and all others!! Remember to celebrate Jesus real birthday in the spring.

Last edited:

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Thanks for the tips on homemade studded tires. I've got some used 26" rims with mtb tires on them, and I think I'll try to make some. I would think front and back studded tires would be the best, but has anyone tried front only? I'd hate to have to take off the rear sprocket to switch it over.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
The front's way more important, steering, braking. If the back slides out a little, that's livable, if the front slides out that's a different story :p

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
Dec.26th and the temps were in the 40's in beautiful downtown Scarville. Normal temps should be in the 20's so since the bar in town burned down last week, I took a ride to Vinje,IA (pop. 4) the closest bar to me, where I had a couple drinks to celebrate the holidays. Before taking off for the ride, I had the bike parked out front, and the wind blew it over, smashing my windshield into 3 major pieces. Took Red Green's favorite fix it tool--duct tape --and put it together enough to make the trip. It felt great to be riding and I hit my all time high of 31mph. It was a good day.

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
That's a shame about the windshield, PL.

The wind was pretty crazy here today. I headed directly into it & opened up to see if I could feel any real resistance.....yup, it brought my top speed down to about 20 mph.

The DIY snow tread is a wild idea. I wish I could do it, but I've only got about 1/6" of clearance between my tire & fender. And after all the work I put into those fenders, they're staying! lol
I've gotta build a snow machine.

Welcome to the club, Robin. BC is where I'd like to retire/disappear from the face of the Earth while hunting Bigfoot. Beautiful wilderness you guys have out there.