Pocket Bike Engine Project

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Here are the components of the drive. Looks like there is enough meat in the center of the bell to do
as NT said, drill and tap to 1/2". Then if you took a Gr8 bolt, screwed in in from the front of the drum with enough threads through to use a thin jamb nut, then red loctite it all. Then cut to the bolt length you want . Replace the 6202 bearing with a 1 3/8x5/8 quality bearing. The standard bearing is a few thou small on the outer dimension. I JB weld em in centered and have never had one spin. Takes a propane torch to remove. Once all that is done drop a 5/8 to 1/2 bronze bushing in the bearing and assemble. Easily done with basic tools in a short time. Remember the single bearing is supported by the clutch when expanded, two bearings are better, but one good quality should do.

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Cannonball2,
Thanks for the info.
I may go that route or just buck-up & buy another Staton double bearing unit. The one I got is pretty slick. Will decide once the new parts arrive.
-Lowracer-

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
lowracer

The 1/2" id bearing is = mm 13x35x11= 6202rs at "VXB.com", the #kit484 =10 brgs =$9.95. One brg is $1.25

This bearing fits the housing as the original bearing does, they are both 35mm od.

The shaft spacer`s that you will need are at "McMASTER-CARR.com"

#3088A512 is the 1/2" id x 3/4" od x .125" thick = 1/16" they are 10 for $4.24 they have many different thickness sizes avail.

Ron

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I changed the rack a bit today & got rid of the muffler clamps. I was able to go straight from the axle to the front part of the rack (much better mounting point).
I deleted & re-posted the new pics to the previous entry back a page)
-Lowracer-

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
lowracer

McMaster-Carr Has the 6202rs bearing in two options reg = $4.87, precission $9.04.

If you order shaft spacer`s and bearing the sh will be $5. or less and you can add a few items for the same sh cost.

Ron

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Cagiva4ever,
I haven't checked my springs (had it apart yesterday but didnt bother to inspect).
I have roughly 250 miles on my engine & clutch
The link you posted is expired & no picture available to view.
I would stick to the three shoe clutch for these engines (maybe just get a better quality mfgr or spring).
I also check the pocketbike forums & haven't heard of common clutch issues like you experienced.
Maybe your gearing is too short & puts strain?
I definitely cant pull a wheelie on engine power...(wow)
Check out ThatsDax website....he does alot of testing & has written about the three-shoe clutch & sells them.
-Alex-
I have used pocket bike clutches on my CY 460 engines.

If your pocket bike engine has a tapered shaft, then the CY 460 clutch MIGHT fit. With the pb clutch on the 460, the crank nut needed to be thinned a fraction of an inch.

The 460 clutch engages at 8000 rpm, so special Staton springs need to be installed.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Neat Times & Cannonball2,
I ended up ordering another Staton double bearing 1/2" shaft clutch driver today.
I appreciate all you input though on making the pocket bike driver compatible, but I am taking the easy route & blowing some $$$.
It will allow me to swap engines from one bike to the other should I ever need to, since the spacing will now be identical.
-Lowracer-

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Looks like you have had the best luck with this type of engine. Seems everywhere I read concerning these engines the head blots pull sooner than later. Hopefully your long bolts will do the trick. Still havent determined what or if to do with mine. If I do anything, it will get Helicoils.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
cannonball2,
I know deep down in my soul that this engine could one day self destruct, but in the meantime, it runs like a bat out of h*ll & I feel like I made a deal with the devil...lol
I couldn't get enough of it, so I went out & ordered another one for my other project. Speed & power have a funny way of changing the sensible mind. I'm half tempted to sell the Subaru Robin engine (maybe not in case they both blow).
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I now have 2 pocket bike engines & swapped the new one onto the DH MTB (since I rode it more often) & the old one onto the no suspension lowrider. I have a new copper base gasket on order & once it arrives, will install it on the older engine before riding that one. I also ordered some muffler packing fiber to quiet down the new expansion pipe (loud as heck). It has no packing in the can now & hopefully it will help. I also bought a copper fitting from Lowes to add a silencer to the end pipe if I need to go even quieter.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Cagiva4ever

Oct 25, 2010
Finland
Cagiva4ever,
Check out ThatsDax website....he does alot of testing & has written about the three-shoe clutch & sells them.
-Alex-
hi !

i havent yet noticed where the mentioned "product test reports" are located at the DAX home sales page. Could you link me up ?

as far as ive seen from photos, all the 3-shoe STD clutch assy's look the same specs. only difference being on friction material color. difficult to thow say anything about Spring steel Quality by only judgeing from/by photos only.

im now waiting for my 2-shoe Adjustable Race clutch to arrive from my UK trustyseller. i have to make the woodruffkey groove (as they dont have1 these days anymore..) to it and most likely start testing with lowest spring(s) tension 1st.

the Conical shape center on it doesnt slide as deep/far into Crank as in STD 3-shoe clutch. the Dimensions are lill different on that matter, the Off-Set on the Center collar is different but Shoe alignment Vs. Clutch Drum/Bell still the same as in/with STD 3-shoe clutch apparently.

bye:)
m

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
ThatsDax's website to buy stuff...On this forum, search for posts by ThatsDax (good write up of the GT50R going thru testing).
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Cagiva4ever,
Here is a better pic of what I got on both my pocket bike engines. I have a few hunded miles of use on this one & it still looks new.
Let us know once you install your new clutch, how it works out for you.
Thanks,
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Cagiva4ever

Oct 25, 2010
Finland
hi !

yea, that is the totally STD Clutch of Cagllari. Mine is the same exept friction material color, mine is from different factory.

mine:
Minimoto Mini Moto Clutch 3 Shoe with ( FREE SPRINGS ) | eBay

ebay.co.uk auction number: 270738263520

your springs look to have exactly same amount if windings (9) as mine. in mine the spring string is Diameter 1,45mm

i once again snapped spare spring and once again lill before i had ridden only 20km. id deffo having weak spring metal.....

This is what i bought now and am waiting to arrive currently, will take nearly 2 weeks to arrive:
Minimoto mini moto performance race clutch dirt bike | eBay

auction number: 270777271702

m

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
hi !

yea, that is the totally STD Clutch of Cagllari. Mine is the same exept friction material color, mine is from different factory.

mine:
Minimoto Mini Moto Clutch 3 Shoe with ( FREE SPRINGS ) | eBay

ebay.co.uk auction number: 270738263520

your springs look to have exactly same amount if windings (9) as mine. in mine the spring string is Diameter 1,45mm

i once again snapped spare spring and once again lill before i had ridden only 20km. id deffo having weak spring metal.....

This is what i bought now and am waiting to arrive currently, will take nearly 2 weeks to arrive:
Minimoto mini moto performance race clutch dirt bike | eBay

auction number: 270777271702

m
It is highly probable that the adjustable clutch you ordered will not interchange with your standard PB clutch. Some, not all standard clutches have tapered shafts. I also ordered the HD adjustable clutch, as pictured. It had a non-tapered center collar. There was no way it would fit onto a=my pb engine's tapered shaft. tapered shaft.:-||

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
hi !

i havent yet noticed where the mentioned "product test reports" are located at the DAX home sales page. Could you link me up ?

as far as ive seen from photos, all the 3-shoe STD clutch assy's look the same specs. only difference being on friction material color. difficult to thow say anything about Spring steel Quality by only judgeing from/by photos only.

im now waiting for my 2-shoe Adjustable Race clutch to arrive from my UK trustyseller. i have to make the woodruffkey groove (as they dont have1 these days anymore..) to it and most likely start testing with lowest spring(s) tension 1st.

the Conical shape center on it doesnt slide as deep/far into Crank as in STD 3-shoe clutch. the Dimensions are lill different on that matter, the Off-Set on the Center collar is different but Shoe alignment Vs. Clutch Drum/Bell still the same as in/with STD 3-shoe clutch apparently.

m

This woodruff key will work:

dr236

I used it when I installed a pocket bike clutch onto my CY460 engine.

In fact, the 460 clutch SHOULD bolt onto the pb engine. It is slightly shorter at the crank's center, though.

Last edited:

Cagiva4ever

Oct 25, 2010
Finland
prior to ordering the mentioned Race Clutch i had spend couple weeks digging info for it, for past models and current models.

apparently the early race clutch editions had a woodruffkey groove on them and these latest ones do now not have.

ALSO !! some of them are with and some without Conical shape center hole.

i knew that already before ordering and i made sure that my trusty seller has the ones with Conical Shape center hole.

So, knowing all this and what i asked from my seller and what he replyed to me about items Specs i should be reciving Conical shape center assy.

if ya wanna check the auction photo, Photoshop it and change the Brightness etc on it to see the center hole shape. i havent done so yet, to just see if the photo on the auction page is "Generic" or Specifig Cagglari.

Last edited: