Pocket Bike Engine Project

GoldenMotor.com

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
I really want to do a build a bike with one of these motors. Maybe do it BoXeR-esque. Motor mounted in cage, full suspension, DH components, etc. That is, if i can find the money for it!

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Or you could run a V-belt on some pulleys & a skateboard wheel adjustable tensioner.
Staton sells a double bearing clutch driver for this size clutch with either a 5/8" shaft or 1/2" shaft for $70. I have 2 of Statons & another made for the Honda GX35 sold on eBay for $80. The little pulleys are $6.00 at Tractor Supply, the big one is another bicycle rim hoop (free outide most bike stores before they go in the trash). Just incase you wanted to not go with a heavy chain, flying oil & mechanical noise.
-Lowracer-

stage3gt

Mar 12, 2012
Pearland
lowracer ,
what size and length bolts did you get?
also how do i know what the gear ratio is i will be running the 3:1 then 11 to 72

stage3gt

Mar 12, 2012
Pearland
so that should be good for acceleration right? and what front sprocket should i get upfront to make it 16:1 like i've heard is pretty good? 12,13 or 14??

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
5-7

HELLO.

Most all of the pocket bike/scooter tranny`s have the six spline for external sprockets. There is a 12 tooth six spline sprocket with 1/2" pitch for bmx chain, have one on my diy axle mount build with the 5:1 box.

The single chain 3:1 tranny has a front #25 sprocket the size of a dime!! Like on the pocket bike clutch housing.

Dax chain box has the six spline that is longer for , apparently for better rear chain alignment!?

The dual #25 chain box is wider.

The cogged belt drive from "bicycle-engines.com" would be good for $139. but you need an engine with a straight 5/8" crankshaft. There was a model of it that fit all the engines with the 76/78mm clutch system for $10. less, but is only in their kits currently.

Terry Blow had them in Canada, but is shut down for a few more months.

Quenton Gunter may have a Q-matic for the 76/78mm clutch, was talking of it, but would be wider than the regular Q-matic unit.

A 5:1 box could be used with the 12 tooth 1/2" pitch for bmx bicycle chain, then use a 5 hole freewheel sprocket adapter on the back wheel`s right side.

With a wheel threaded on both side`s, a South-paw (left hand thread) sprocket could go on the left side of rear wheel for pedal power, put pedal chain ring on left side and run the 5:1 drive to single free wheel sprocket on right hand side of rear wheel. Imho a spring tensioner should be used when ever possible, prevents problems. Whew, need a nap now!! lol.

Ron ...cvlt1
Thanks for your explanation, Ron.

However, I don't think the 5:1 tranny will work with any engine which is center-mounted. That 12t sprocket would be too far outward, it'd need a jackshaft to align a sprocket with the rear sprocket.

I know this because I run a Scooterguy center-framed Tanaka engine w/5:1 tranny. Engine sprocket and chainring sprocket align perfectly, but the engine hangs outward on the left, not centered.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
so that should be good for acceleration right? and what front sprocket should i get upfront to make it 16:1 like i've heard is pretty good? 12,13 or 14??
(72/11) X 3 = 19.64:1
(72/12 x 3 = 18:1
(72/14) x 3 = 15.43:1

A 12t would be great, but there are no 12t/8mm sprockets that'll match the 72t/8mm rear sprocket.

A 14t/8mm sprocket IS available.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
5-7

Yes the motor with a 5:1 box would be offset to the left. Life is often a compromise!! lol.

stage3

72 divide by 11 = 6.54 x 3.1 = 20.29:1 ratio = much better for starting from a dead stop.

12, 13 or 14 is very low final ratio, for top speed and the motor may not pull well. The cag engines like higher ratio so they can develope their power. My diy cvt rack mounts start out at 32:1 and shift up, top speed of 30 mph.

Somewhere on the forum I did post pics of the 3: box opened up about 3 yrs ago. Looked like the inside of a pocket watch, the chains stretch badly. Seems like they are 3.25 to 1 ratio ?? Will look on line

Ron ..cvlt1

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
5-7

Yes the motor with a 5:1 box would be offset to the left. Life is often a compromise!! lol.

stage3

72 divide by 11 = 6.54 x 3.1 = 20.29:1 ratio = much better for starting from a dead stop.

12, 13 or 14 is very low final ratio, for top speed and the motor may not pull well. The cag engines like higher ratio so they can develope their power. My diy cvt rack mounts start out at 32:1 and shift up, top speed of 30 mph.

Somewhere on the forum I did post pics of the 3: box opened up about 3 yrs ago. Looked like the inside of a pocket watch, the chains stretch badly. Seems like they are 3.25 to 1 ratio ?? Will look on line

Ron ..cvlt1
Ron, I totally agree with you.

My first gear w/the 5:1 tranny is 46.36:1, and my 8th gear is 15:1.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
It looks like it does, but I am not sure since I never bought my gearbox from him. But my gearbox looks alike with the one he sells.

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
I believe it would work. Only thing that would matter is that you get the right cable.

I got a cable and the end point of it that went into the carb was too large. Simple fix only took 5 minutes. I just grinded it down half way and it still held strong on the cable.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
stage3

The Dax 3:1 will fit your cag motor. Found some pic`s on my hard drive of someone`s 3:1 converted to a kevlar cogged belt drive with spring tensioner = very neat job of it. Don`t know which member did it, but he turned a piece of junk into a winner.

Ron

Attachments

gera229

Sep 4, 2011
USA
That depends on what carb you use.
If the engine comes with a dellorto clone carb, use the dax cable for the performance Dax RT carb he sells which is basically a dellorto clone.

stage3gt

Mar 12, 2012
Pearland
gera229,
thanks

NEAT TIMES ,
hmm that looks really nice do you know where i can get the double chain one?..i dont think i can build the belt gearbox