Phatmoto Right Pedal Striking Engine Pull Starter Solution

GoldenMotor.com

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
After receiving my new bike from Gasbike.net I discovered to my sorrow that the right pedal interferes with the pull starter housing by at least 1/2 inches. If anyone else is having this problem you may be interested to know that I have found the solution, at least it solved my problem. I found that during manufacturing the crank shaft was inserted backwards in the bike frame. Because of the length of the protruding shaft the standard removal tool will not reach the retainer nut so I had to grind off the wrenching end and use a large pipe wrench to remove the retainer nut on each side of the shaft. Then insert the shaft the correct way around and tighten everything down.

Attachments

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
After receiving my new bike from Gasbike.net I discovered to my sorrow that the right pedal interferes with the pull starter housing by at least 1/2 inches. If anyone else is having this problem you may be interested to know that I have found the solution, at least it solved my problem. I found that during manufacturing the crank shaft was inserted backwards in the bike frame. Because of the length of the protruding shaft the standard removal tool will not reach the retainer nut so I had to grind off the wrenching end and use a large pipe wrench to remove the retainer nut on each side of the shaft. Then insert the shaft the correct way around and tighten everything down.
It’s hard to see but maybe the Bottom bracket is in backwards. Is the shaft longer on the other side ?

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I didn't like the feel of pedal assist/electric and rather than get used to it, which one probably would, I chose to use twin throttles on my 2-cycle E-hybrid; and not use the ped-electric assist sensor, which also takes getting used to so one way or the other just have to deal with it.

Pretty cool one way or the other.

Rick C.

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
I didn't like the feel of pedal assist/electric and rather than get used to it, which one probably would, I chose to use twin throttles on my 2-cycle E-hybrid; and not use the ped-electric assist sensor, which also takes getting used to so one way or the other just have to deal with it.

Pretty cool one way or the other.

Rick C.
Thanks for those words Rick! I wasn't sure if I was imaging it or the the bike was trying to runaway with me. I am thinking I will unhook the sensor too.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Nice set up! Ya I had a hard time with the entire e ride experience..lol That instant power, no sound oh and too much power all lead to my quick departure from Ebikes. I wish I would of stuck it out just to get a feel for it.Maybe next time. You will get use to all that stuff especially if it’s a everyday driver.. good luck

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Nice set up! Ya I had a hard time with the entire e ride experience..lol That instant power, no sound oh and too much power all lead to my quick departure from Ebikes. I wish I would of stuck it out just to get a feel for it.Maybe next time. You will get use to all that stuff especially if it’s a everyday driver.. good luck
Thanks Moto! My preference for the perfect ride is the 2 stroke gas bike but lately I am going with the hybrid version for my power assisted ride because I want to try fitting in while biking through quiet neighborhoods. Today I learned that on e-power I have to stop pedaling, even back pedal when the speed starts creeping up there.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Davideo the hybrid experience especially combined with the pedal start 2 strokes with clutch is so functional with the front hub motor you've added electric bump start even aimed uphill and no struggle, snappy acceleration from dead stop in traffic can save your life. No more dirty looks from stressed out motorist behind you and you don't have to slip the clutch and pedal like mad to do it. I doubt I'll ever have to change clutch pads again on my hybrid, the rest of the positives I'll not go into, but you'll discover and use all of them in short order. Getting used to it is easy because it's so very functional.

I'm a gearhead and love the I.C.E's and so coupling the electric, pedal and gas fuel concepts is to me a no brainer as long as gas stations are open my 80 to 100 mile range per tank on fuel and continuous regen charging while powered by gas, pedal or both (not just while braking) keeps the batteries up on extremely long rides also.

If I had only one bike to ride daily as my only transport it, hands down, would be my hybrid. It's not my favorite bike it's just the one that I ride most often. I've own seven motorized bikes, working on the eighth, because I like variety in my builds and I'll not be building another hybrid unless this one is, destroyed or stolen. If it is I'll build another one that is pretty similar, to ride most of the time.

I hoping your experience marches my own. Not looking for converts either, just expressing my experience.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Since I ride where I please, save for on highways, I find myself on gravel and dirt quite often while riding the hybrid. The front hub motor is far from ideal to use by itself on these loose surfaces especially hilly sections. For those who primarily ride this type terrain I'd think my current setup far from ideal using just the front hub, but using all three power types works out well enough on loose surfaces with practice.

Rick C.

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Davideo the hybrid experience especially combined with the pedal start 2 strokes with clutch is so functional with the front hub motor you've added electric bump start even aimed uphill and no struggle, snappy acceleration from dead stop in traffic can save your life. No more dirty looks from stressed out motorist behind you and you don't have to slip the clutch and pedal like mad to do it. I doubt I'll ever have to change clutch pads again on my hybrid, the rest of the positives I'll not go into, but you'll discover and use all of them in short order. Getting used to it is easy because it's so very functional.

I'm a gearhead and love the I.C.E's and so coupling the electric, pedal and gas fuel concepts is to me a no brainer as long as gas stations are open my 80 to 100 mile range per tank on fuel and continuous regen charging while powered by gas, pedal or both (not just while braking) keeps the batteries up on extremely long rides also.

If I had only one bike to ride daily as my only transport it, hands down, would be my hybrid. It's not my favorite bike it's just the one that I ride most often. I've own seven motorized bikes, working on the eighth, because I like variety in my builds and I'll not be building another hybrid unless this one is, destroyed or stolen. If it is I'll build another one that is pretty similar, to ride most of the time.

I hoping your experience marches my own. Not looking for converts either, just expressing my experience.

Rick C.
Rick I am already a convert, I am beginning to appreciate those benefits you so aptly describe. The only thing I am missing in my latest bike is the convenience of bump starts, I suppose electric start would be almost as convenient too, if I could only figure out how to achieve it on this Lifan 4 stroke.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I have a brand new vertical 99cc Lifan that's got bench hours only on it Davideo. Nice engine I mounted a Comet CVT drive on it, but decided no pull starts in my life and there's no reasonable way to convert a $90. motor (shipped) to manual clutch or electric start for less than triple the cost of the motor itself. No doubt if I wanted pedal and bump start, which I would, and found myself with a pull start setup (4 stroke or two cycle) I'd switch to a 66cc China girl. Now I'm not a hater as I admire many pull start setups, they are just not for me. I've got bad shoulders, no pull starts, and that's no problem with the dependable China girls I build. The hybrid is just icing on the cake with China girl electric initiated bump starts.

I like your bike as is, but for me it would have to change without breaking the bank, while doing so.

Rick C.

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
I am with you Rick. I have a China Girl on my first attempt at a hybrid bike and I love that simple little engine, reliable and once you get her revs up she will accelerate and has good pulling power. The only drawback that I see is the excessive chain drag during coasting, pedaling or electric powering. I have purchased the Australian hybrid pedal sprocket and a jack-shaft kit each of which I haven't got around to testing yet, I even built up a Flip-Flop wheel with a freewheel pedal sprocket on the right and a freewheel sprocket for 8 mm drive chain on the left. All these solutions have a major drawback and all except the Australian sprocket will not give bump start capability.

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
Thanks Moto! Sorry for the poor pictures but you are correct, it was in backward and since I inserted the shaft the correct way around , now both ends are equal and now the right pedal does not strike.
Kudoos, on that! One side is left -hand threaded and the right-side is right hand threaded. Keeping the thing tight is the problem.
Never a dull moment I can say a locking nut needs to be on the outside of these extended shafts. I found mine was always
loosening up since bearing grease gets on the threads. :mad:

EZL

May 13, 2016
Chenoa, Illinois, USA
I am with you Rick. I have a China Girl on my first attempt at a hybrid bike and I love that simple little engine, reliable and once you get her revs up she will accelerate and has good pulling power. The only drawback that I see is the excessive chain drag during coasting, pedaling or electric powering. I have purchased the Australian hybrid pedal sprocket and a jack-shaft kit each of which I haven't got around to testing yet, I even built up a Flip-Flop wheel with a freewheel pedal sprocket on the right and a freewheel sprocket for 8 mm drive chain on the left. All these solutions have a major drawback and all except the Australian sprocket will not give bump start capability.
I never did find a long shaft for the the pedal asm. so I ended up using heat to rebend the pedal arms to clear my engine case and CVT. :(
At least we have a fella who has good knowledge/experience for us to know the solutions to problems! (^)

spencergrundy137

Sep 23, 2021
Seeming to have this issue as well... interestingly enough only having this issue after crashing and having to get a new bolt for the left pedal. now the right pedal having this clearance issue. Sigh. What's the name of this tool?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Seeming to have this issue as well... interestingly enough only having this issue after crashing and having to get a new bolt for the left pedal. now the right pedal having this clearance issue. Sigh. What's the name of this tool?

After a crash, I'm guessing that the crank arm is bent... Remove the crank arm & bang it straight with a hammer. ;)