! PFFST ! Phoenix Felt Four Stroke Twin :)

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It had to be hard cutting into that virgin metal. Especially when the paint is so nice. I had to do it on a brand new Nirve Switchblade. My wife couldn't watch.

I've used that same trim stuff on the pinch weld of the kit peanut tanks and on motorcycle tanks. A heat gun works great for softening the rubber and adhesive and lets you bend the material around tight compound curves. Once the glue cools that stuff holds well and certainly cleans up rough edges.

Great Job. Looks professional.

Tom

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks Tom and Bill! Heres a problem I have run into. I ended up getting the Sick Bike parts throttle for 4 stroke. Man ! What a nice piece. However the cable is gonnna be a problem. cable overall length seems fine but Im using the AGK medium carb with linkage and the exposed cable isnt long enough. If I hook it up as is I'll be a half throttle with the throttle closed... Heres a few pictures.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
With your skills, you'll have it fixed by lunch time.
Just show us what you did to overcome this seeminly insurmountable problem. :)

Tom

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
After messin about with lights for a while I decided I didnt like the light pattern. These are very nondirectional. Think super flood as opposed to spot. I was thinking I might add some visors to the lights so I made some... Out of BRASS. Now. I dont have much brass on the bike to match, but there is some. I'm not sure of this will look out of place but they wil be removable. and I can always do something else.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
So I made some templets out overy thin cardboard ( think Puffs tissue box paper ) and match'd em up. Took a few attmpte to get it right. I had some thin brass plate stock leftover from another job so I had a look at it and was trying to figure out how to cut the curve.

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Ya know, Trauma shears ( the ones paramedics use to cut off your clothes when you get all wadded up?) will cut clean through a penny with almost no effort. Well I dont have those anymore. I need to get a new set. What I DO have is a cheap set of Harbor Freight kitchen shears. Guess what! Goes through thin brass like BUTTA! ( butter for those who have never been to Boston) bent em by hand and taped em into position for a test fit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I will use the smallest self tapping or sheetmetal screws I can find and also use the automotive trim stuff on them. After a while. I'll decide if they stay or go.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
As far as your throttle cabble is concerned can you flip the piece upside down or backwards upside down or even add another small piece of sheet mettal sorta like a linkage??????I think it would would work upside down & backwards.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Since you are so good with the cut-off wheel you are going to cut some of the outer cover off the cable while the cable is still inside. I had to do this with all my carb upgrades on the four strokes. Not too hard...hope it helps.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Thanks Guys! The linkage on the linkage idea had occured to me but not the cutting off ot the excess cable shroud. Hummm. I'll think about this over my next few work nights. I'm hosed till Sunday morning with work. I did manage to get the motor mount sandblasted today and then to a powdercoater. Says it will be done this week so Monday I can have it back in service.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Had a plan! Go to bed early and get up at sunrise when its cool and bang out some stuff on the bike. Went out to dinner and got a nice dose of FOOD POISONING and didnt get to sleep till. Well... Bout sunrise :-|| This afternoon all I did was go to Granger and get a secondary drive belt thats 4" longer and got it into the trans. I also adjusted the valves for play and BOY! Am I glad I did. their was NO play in the valve train. Word on the forums says 0.004 lash on intake and 0.006 for exhaust as explaned in this MOST EXELENT sticky worthy thread HERE: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40625 see post 7. Thermometer says 113F in my garage. Screw it. Quoting Scarlet: Tomarrow is another day.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Sorry! to hear that.. you are not the only one having a stroke of bad luck, today 105 degrees in our desert city of Palmdale Ca, I also decided to get up early and get started by about 9:00 am to clear coat the engine I worked so hard at to beautify, the metal wire I used to hold the engine up with was so hot it litterally burnt my hand as I took it off the wrack I use to paint my engines, so I dropped the engine about a Ft from the ground,no real damage to the engine but it did knock the corner off the front top mount about an 1/8-3/16 , I screwed the mount screw in and it held fine but looks like sh!t so lucky I had another engine to work with and PK 80's are getting hard to come by in Cali, also lucky my wife is a nurse, she bandaged my hand up and now 7:10 Pm we took the wrap off and Dammnn!! I brunt it good about 1/8" wide and 6" long and all puffed up, from a freak'n wire

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hey Truckd. Hows the hand? I did next to nothing on the bike today. Too damn'd hot! Plus; the powder coater who has my motor mount and said it would fur sure be done last Friday STILL hasnt got it done yet.:-|| I managed to mount, polish and trim the "hoodies" for the lights. I'm not so sure about this. I dont wanna Pee Wee the bike too much and this may be a step in the wrong direction. Good bit is thell come right off with a little (un) screwin. ! GIGITY !

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Well breaking down the other engine today and busted the blister open, didn't stop bleeding until my wife (the nurse) got home and she stuck my hand in freezing cold water, I just cut some holes in an old sock I use for a rag and went about my business not really too serious looking but the wifey say's that burns get infected so easy and are the worst kind of infection, so I'm on bicycle restrictions tomorrow.
I like the lights, No PeeWee looking to me Bro

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey! velodrome .....Whats up Dude? no up dates? you kinda got me into this felt cruiser of yours, so I'm waiting for some pic's I'm sure your waiting on me as well.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey man you need to check out Motomags post at Board trackers and vintage motorbikes, Very Nice!! just the kind of build we appericiate

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hey! velodrome .....Whats up Dude? no up dates? you kinda got me into this felt cruiser of yours, so I'm waiting for some pic's I'm sure your waiting on me as well.
Heres my stinking update. I'm on hold as the critical part I need is out of my hands and has been for a while now. Heres a tip for anybody in the East Valley of PHX. DO NOT USE Custom Coaters of Mesa if you need anything powdercoated. Took them the motor mount I had modified to work with the superfat tires and they first botched the job by coating what I told them to NOT coat. Well. I thought: I have a dremel and a grinder I;ll just deal with it. Then as I looked closer. I found the whole job was $hyite! Sags runs ( ! Powdercoat can RUN???!!? ) And mars where it was roughly handeled when still soft! CRAP JOB! I swear! I think whoever did it was on their first day on the job AND THEY WERE DRUNK! This after I was told it could be picked up on a monday and it wasnt actually "done" ( read F'd up ) till Three days later because they had a bigger job come in they decided to do first. I was appoligieszed to all over the place and was told, in no uncertan terms, that it woud be re-done and ready for pick up Fri, morning on my way home from work. Fri morning I arrive to pick up my piece and behold ! its not done; its not even ready to go back to the spray /dust gun... :-|| who knows what will happen next with these butt heads. Bet they will throw it out next with recycle metal... MORONS! How do peple like that stay in buisness? I know I'll rant more about this cus I stay mad once I get mad...

Last edited: