'Outta My League' From Arkansas

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
Hi,
I am from Central Arkansas. I am a high school Trigonometry and Geometry teacher. I only live 3 miles from work, and decided to try the motorized bike kit. So far I've spent about $300 on parts and saved only $100. But I'm sure that will change rather quickly.

I am not a mechanic by any means, so this has been a great learning experience. I am currently on mile 120 of my break-in, and I am working out the bugs still (lean, rich, carb, air leaks, etc.).

Here's my project:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Welcome to the forum.. When I started I knew very little about anything mechanical. At least not much more than how to change an alternator on a auto. Most things on the bike are "oh yeah of course" leaning experiences.

The worst air lead is at the carb manifold. The carb adjustment is almost always second notch from the top for the needle. The idle screw starts at about four turns back from completely tight and you just adjust from there.

The chain tension is the worst since the chain will be stretching for the first couple of hundred miles or so. The tensioner was the worst for me so I just adjusted the wheel for the motor chain without tensioner and put it on the bike chains side to take up the slack. It doesn't get much stress over there. not sure if you could do that with a mountain bike though.

I do like your bike nice job.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Welcome and from your build it doesn't appear that you are out of your league at all. Nice bike. If you have any questions just give a holler. We are here to help.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
thanks for the welcome.

Besides the kit from KingsMotorBike.com, I purchased 2 high quality tires, a newwider Bell Gel seat from Walmart, and a SpeedMaster.

After I get the engine broke in (and am allowed more funding from my wife), I plan on a 36T sprocket for higher top speed.

The only reason I was allowed to build the bike is the promise of saving $$$ in gas. Already we have, so she is happy and loosened the purse strings.

351cat

Jun 17, 2008
Missouri, USA
Lol. Glad to see that a Kings kit worked on a Huffy. I've got a Kings kit on the way and i'm using a Roadmaster Mountain Bike (very similar to the Huffy) Welcome from a fellow newb :D

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
And I was wonder about the pi!!

pi r square!!!!

Sorry - nice video. Seems to me you are well qualified for the league if not out standing in the field. Now why can't my daughter do quadratic equations?

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
How funny,
I had the same exact bike last year. I put thousands of miles on it before I sold it. That frame is very durable and took a lot of abuse from me on my offroad rides in the mountains. I just moved to arkansas and can help you with your ride if you need help.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I got my first two kits from Kings. He sends the large tank with his kit it is the best looking. I found a new trick for the noise from the gears, I coat the inside of the cover with Silicone rubber and it turns off the speaker affect, keep it just thick enough to deaden the noise and keep out of the gears. Nice job for your first build, I hope it will be OK with your wife when this turns into a passion and you have a garage full of them. LOL. I still have to make my own money for the bikes on the side, but I am running out of room. Have fun you will like this place, Dave

PS: I don't think you are out of your league. Good video, I need to learn how to do that.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
i'm a techy, not a gear head...but am having a blast at it...so much so that my 6 year son wants a kit for his mini walmart "bmx" style bike :D