Old Guys X Autocycle

GoldenMotor.com

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
You blow my mind Rick. You're well into your third build (and not easy builds at that) while many of us, mostly me slowly putter along. The benefit to me is the thorough posts and I'm saying thanks! Pictures help but your complete descriptions of what you're doing successful or not are some of the real gems on the forum.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You blow my mind Rick. You're well into your third build (and not easy builds at that) while many of us, mostly me slowly putter along. The benefit to me is the thorough posts and I'm saying thanks! Pictures help but your complete descriptions of what you're doing successful or not are some of the real gems on the forum.
So true Harold-B, it's all in the details that make a difference.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
So true Harold-B, it's all in the details that make a difference.
Thanks Harold & Curtis you both know how much I appreciate the work both you builders have turned out over the years & yes details do make the difference regardless of the style one prefers to build in. Though I post mainly in this forum I follow the rats, Whizzers, cruisers etc. & learn as I enjoy the builds of others.

I'm not sure when my posts are too tedious, full of hot air or sound like I know it all, so I try to fess up to my errors from time to time...but certainly not all. My early posts on any build reflect the general direction of my intended design, but I change each along the way as I see more clearly where the bike wants me to go.

I will post photos as soon as I figure out what I'm doing wrong trying to download from my phone, kinda has me puzzled. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
0627171158-768x1024.jpg
0627171158a-768x1024.jpg
0627171157-768x1024.jpg
Thanks Harold & Curtis you both know how much I appreciate the work both you builders have turned out over the years & yes details do make the difference regardless of the style one prefers to build in. Though I post mainly in this forum I follow the rats, Whizzers, cruisers etc. & learn as I enjoy the builds of others.

I'm not sure when my posts are too tedious, full of hot air or sound like I know it all, so I try to fess up to my errors from time to time...but certainly not all. My early posts on any build reflect the general direction of my intended design, but I change each along the way as I see more clearly where the bike wants me to go.

I will post photos as soon as I figure out what I'm doing wrong trying to download from my phone, kinda has me puzzled. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
0706170651-768x1024.jpg I formed a saddle mount from 14 ga. steel to adapt a rail type seat post clamp for the tooled leather "skull" saddle. Added sealed cartridge pedal bracket bearings and 68 mm conversion kit,
J. A.P pedal levers while a Schwinn style sprocket and bow tie pedals come next.

I'm using a 1 1/8" thread less Sunlite dual spring fork and short 1 1/2"ahead stem to connect the chromed steel bars (I'll remove about 5" in bar length from each side) I'll cut the steer tube to length while it's mounted on the bike & insert the "star" nut then...bars and ahead stem of course removed for the steer tube cutting process. I protect the upper headset bearing from metal cuttings with a wrap of painters tape. Change as I go process. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Steve I'm hoping to keep this build pretty simple, but as you are well aware they really seem to often take on a life of their own. Photo of the most recent mock up...muck up, playing with tins black and silver frame, rear bobbed fender and oil tank/storage box from Pat...don'no just thinking.
Motor is a new one, one of my buddies decided he wanted the reed valve unit I built up & I don't know if I'll modify this one or not. I'll probably break it in, as is, and then decide if it needs a bit more power added. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Photo of tribute Excelsior Autocycle by Schwinn.
I'm waiting on the next to last $300. in parts (it seems to always be the next to last order) and I'll give her a start and a couple of hours break in time... then tear back down for some pain, black tins and silver frame, with some hammer finish copper accents on tank and motor.

The motor is a 40 mm stroke,& the first time I've used the slightly larger displacement CG. Balanced crank and matched ports, with .6 mm copper head gasket & turned head so frame to plug clearance is improved. Case bolts are hardened socket heads. Grade 8 head bolt studs. May need an offset intake manifold to allow throttle cable to carb install, we will see.

Hope to have it complete this month, but likely be mid August with all that's ongoing this Summer.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Been busy hammering copper sheet for motor side plates & fuel tank accents and working up a bobbed rear fender and mount....most of the stuff came in & I'm sporting Schwinn bow tie pedals mounted on black offset pedal 2 piece crank with 36 tooth sprocket mounted on a cartridge 63 mm x 121 mm bottom bracket used with a threaded Euro 2" conversion bottom bracket kit.

I'm using an offset intake to clear the frame ( throttle cable was too tight) I'm using the pedestal front engine mount, but may end up cutting it off to gain vertical room for an after market head. I'll keep the slant head unless head temps exceed 300 degrees on long rides and hot days. I've found that the heads I've used can lower max temps by about 100 degrees...if I don't go for high compression setup. I use .6 mm copper gaskets on the head, 6 cc chamber and stock jug gasket and it's lowered my recorded temps and that equals longer engine life with goo d performance and riding characteristics.

Hoping to have photos of progress this weekend. Rick C. .

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve I hope this constitutes progress. Installed the case saver/chain tender and some copper side plates along with the offset intake and painted the tank. Chains are on and I leather wrapped the grips. I'm getting there in spite of myself and of course work. Rick C. 0722171043-960x1280.jpg 0722171044-960x1280.jpg 0722171830-960x1280.jpg

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
That work stuff can be a distraction for sure. I'm really lucky that I love what I do but that doesn't mean I wouldn't rather be playing in the garage! I like the black/silver/copper look you have going on here Rick. Very nice looking build.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Just as an aside, what happened about tuning the four stroke engine? If I remember correctly, you had somebody looking at liberating some horses.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Good recall Ludwig the Harley Peashooter got a lumpy cam with a bit more lift and duration as well as a reworked head; porting, polishing, cc'd chamber, lighter/larger valves, stiffer springs and lighter piston. A small bit of compression increase and a real Mikuni along with a performance CD I. The little motor required a good bit of tuning and fiddling to get up and running, but has held to tune pretty well. Cold natured though and requires a proper warm up prior riding, but worth the wait. I've no idea how much power was gained, but enough to say the cost was worth it though it would have been cheaper to just put a 200cc 5 speed in and ride it!

My Simplex "Copper gator" with the same engine & 5 speed, though stock, and 40 lbs. heavier and geared lower (56 t vs. 44 t final) isn't really a fair comparison with the Harley. The Simplex is quicker off the mark but the Harley quickly recovers as the bike comes on cam at mid range and really pulls with power at higher rpm's. Both are fun, just really different to ride. Rick C.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The lighter valves make sense, but we stayed with the standard sizes as the same valves are fitted in the XR200. They do appreciate being warmed up and allowed to settle in, we found that out. You can tell when the oil has reached the head as well, it becomes a lot quieter mechanically.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
The sound of the seventies . I kinda' miss motors that spoke to me...even when cranky.

I'm taking the Auto cycle for a ride this morning, still bits to complete but should be rideable...even if she doesn't fire! Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I like the way this bike feels underway, took her out 3 times yesterday for about 10 minutes each ride with complete cool down in between. Really tight and was a bit difficult to start each time. I'm breaking in with a 36 to 1 mix of Lucas semi-synthetic oil & alcohol free gas. I'll add just a bit of Marvel Mystery oil to the mix today, about 1/2 oz. to the gal.

It's been awhile since I've ridden a China girl without at least an aftermarket head and carb upgrade in place (4 + yrs.) & I'm not impressed, but wanted to break this one in before making any major performance changes to get a feel for how much bang I'm getting for the bucks and time I'm putting into each motor. When the motor frees up I'll have a base performance to go by. Right now I'm feeling that all the effort is really worth it. Good news is the crank balance feels good and the motor is smooth but with a good bit of the typical clutch racket.

With the 44 tooth sprocket and 24" wheels and un modified engine this is a sub 30 mph setup when broken in....25 mph maybe, but I know how to rectify that with $$ & time.

Still working on the finished look, but will post some ride photos today. I had several thumbs up with smiles awarded me during yesterdays riding, so I'm inclined to think it will show well when completed. The Excelsior tank decals came in as well and I was bummed out by the colors Gold leaf, actually was a rather dull brown which completly disappears from view when applied to a black tank. Small setback. Rick C

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Looks like a fun and eye-catching little bike. Possible inspiration for my next project :)

Regarding the decals: when I repainted my tank I couldn't find any that matched the look and size I wanted and I went with "Deco foil", a gold leaf type product. I botched the application, which kind of worked in my favor for a vintage look, but you might want to consider something like that. The prerequisite stencil cutting was less tedious than I expected.