Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
They might not be original Simplex, but I'll bet there are fenders and gas tanks out there which are very similar. I had a gas tank given to me from a 1930's German Wanderer which I had no use for and passed along to Fasteddy. Looks very much like the Simplex tank. And I have a tank on a Harley Davidson Sprint which memory says is much like the Simplex and about the same size. And if there are motorcycle wheels out there of the right diameter and tire width, then there are fenders of the right size, too. With the right paint and decals you could build your own Simplex. I've seen farm implement seats that look a whole lot like the Simplex seat. "In the spirit of" might be even better than a high priced original... better engine, better brakes and done to suit your tastes and needs.
SB

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Yes..there are always options....mainly wanted him to know the frames are readily available.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
racie,
I should not speak as if I know much anything about a Simplex. I don't other than thinking they are very cool. No doubt you have researched them as much as you can and have a good idea of what is and isn't available and what kind of options there are. Your truck version of the Simplex is a fine example of making something different from and perhaps better than the original, yet still very much in the spirit of the original Simplex. I've been following your build thread and look forward to future progress. And now we have this thread to follow as well. I'm quite sure I'll never have a Simplex of my own so I'll content myself by watching what you guys do with yours. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!
SB

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
There's one on eBay as we speak...frame with fork and fender...its cheap right now...maybe it'll stay cheap

butchl

Sep 30, 2008
Garden City, MI
I have One. 1945 Perfect frame-with front and rear fenders. I have changed my mind and decided to build a boardtracker from scratch. Ireally haven't thought about selling it but I', busy with a T bucket. I also have a Great 1945 tank of which I sold one last year for $200 and it was a later model. Also got a front Worksman wheel. These tanks are contured to the Simplex frame. Contact me if you're truly interested in one.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Regarding the issue of full restoration and what I consider more a matter of doing things "in the spirit of"' to each their own. With a vintage bike that is almost original, sure stay as close as you can to being original. But when you are looking at pretty much an old frame and a couple of original parts it is cost prohibitive and sometimes nearly impossible to come up with the original stuff even if you have the doremi.

I once found a 1950 Schwinn straight bar frame at my local dump which still had the seat , one wheel and a bent front fork. I used it as the foundation for what is now my American Flyer which has a four stroke engine and canoe sidecar. I know there are those who consider the alterations a kind of vintage bicycle blasphemy. I could not afford a real restoration and I wanted a motorbike anyway. The bike was in the public dump under a pile of other discarded metal. So far as I see it, I salvaged that frame, saved it from the crusher and gave it a new life as a motorbike. The same people who might criticize what I did would applaud if it were a restored Whizzer, even a kit add on from the day. People have always modified their motorcycles and bicycles, making them their own like having your hand print on the side of your Indian pony. If someone else wants a factory fresh looking Simplex and can afford it that's great. But my guess is that your Simplex will be faster, have better brakes and may even look better than a mint restoration. If it could be taken back to when other guys bought their Simplex bikes new and compared, I bet some of those guys would want to trade you.
SB
Silverbear you've more than shown your abillity to see the potential beauty and utility of others "castoffs" it's one thing to buy, another to create...my congratulations sir. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hey nice plan man! I'll be checkin back latter on this one!
Thanks, I'm ordering a few parts and the CG-150 should already be coming my way...so right now I'm doing some of what Silverbear called "creative stareing" Some form of metaphysical bike building 101 that I will embrace and grow with. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I have One. 1945 Perfect frame-with front and rear fenders. I have changed my mind and decided to build a boardtracker from scratch. Ireally haven't thought about selling it but I', busy with a T bucket. I also have a Great 1945 tank of which I sold one last year for $200 and it was a later model. Also got a front Worksman wheel. These tanks are contured to the Simplex frame. Contact me if you're truly interested in one.[/QUOTE

Thanks Butch you and racie along with myself are probably going to end up with Simplex parts to sell and or need parts that that someone else has surplus to their needs. I know a good tank won't be hard to sell in that price range. Nor will a good worksman wheel.

I'm thinking about possibly using a Monarch style wide fork springer with a caliper & rotor for the improved braking capibility, and quick availibility....so the Simplex peashooter fork could be traded, sold or take my time and properly restore along with the wheels, rear drum and fenders. Got to stare a bit more....Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
There's one on eBay as we speak...frame with fork and fender...its cheap right now...maybe it'll stay cheap
Checked the frame on ebay and going to catch up on your Simplex builds. I'm pleased to find others with an interest in Servicycles. I've also registered on the Simplex forum & am trying to catch up on what others have and are doing with the little New Orleans motorcycles. I've had the Cushmans, Mustangs and Whizzers...time for a Simplex of sorts. Thanks for your interest in the thread. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
$100. 1 bid no reserve + freight....includes, front fender (only), forks, foot pads. 4 days left on auction

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'll take the fenders if they're saveable.
Racie look at page 2 & post #12 of this thread for a photo of the front fender...it's in pretty good condition. The rear fender however is not original & BAD, I wouldn't think of pushing that one on you. PM me if you have further interest and I'll take some real photos of the good fender for you.RC

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I've mentioned that I retired & sold my shop with the condition that I have access & use of all facilities and equipment. In addition to bikes I also am involved in reviving old cars and trucks of interesting vintages. Currently working on several... 1936 & 1938 Chevys, T bucket Rod, 1951 Ford F-1 PU (sold), 1968 Chevy PU (sold) and a 1946 Chevy rat rod PU. Along with the 3 almost completed motorized bikes and the just beginning of the Simplex motorcycle reto mod. I guess I don't understand what retirement really means. Some of my 4 wheel projects...Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Butch, bid still at $100. on the ebay Simplex frame, it's pretty rusted up but still...I'm fortunate to live in an arid area, desert maybe? Things sit out for many years with little rust damage. The 1946 Chevy truck shown under build in a previous post was bought new at WW2 end and was a work truck on a nearby farm until it was retired in the 1960's....been setting out in a field exposed for more than 50 years...the frame it's now sitting on is a T model Ford & 30+ years older still... neither of which had much rust. The Texaco Tanker which was a 1st. place truck at Nationals a few years back didn't require a single rust patch and it's now a 100 point show winner. Collages1.jpg