Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

Discussion in 'Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles' started by indian22, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Ludwig II

Ludwig II Well-Known Member

I apologise for not having been around life, universe, all that stuff, I'm basically back.

#1361 Ludwig II, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    fasteddy likes this.
  2. indian22

indian22 Well-Known Member

Back is a good thing Ludwig. I'm a fan of your posts & your knowledge of apparatus, two or more wheeled...powered or not, brings much needed insight to our endeavors! Rick C.

fasteddy likes this.
  3. indian22

Pete the weather has been & continues to be unusual here in western Oklahoma we've had a couple of days at or above 120 degrees F. that is 10 to 15 degrees above our normal highs. I don't recall any highs ever approaching these temps. On the other hand it's not been a dry summer & August is and continues to be wet & that's a good thing when you live in grassland/ semi desert country. The temps in Europe are crazy. My neighbor just returned from Scotland, his and my own maternal homeland, and he reported a marvelous stay; as did the wife of a dear friend just returned the previous weak from a visit NW of London. She being a citizen of the U.K. also noted the strange yet welcome weather during her protracted stay.

Bureaucratic meddling or Devine providence delay on your move seems to have been fortunate. I certainly wouldn't relish a move in such heat. I am, however, looking forward to hearing news of your relocation of longitude, latitude & perhaps attitude...though, as always, you continue to present a positive demeanor!

God speed & safe journey....Rick C.

PeteMcP and fasteddy like this.
  4. butchl

butchl Member

My Daughter live in "Bethany,OK"

indian22 likes this.
  5. indian22

Hey Butch. Yeah great little town that one, of course it's been swallowed whole by OKC metro. I lived about a couple of miles S. of Bethany many years ago...good memories. Rick C.

6. Mannhammer21

Mannhammer21 New Member

Man !! You are a craftsman sir. I love your leaf springer forks, that's more or less what I would like to get for my build. Great bike!! Hope to see some videos of you riding that thing.

fasteddy likes this.
  7. indian22

Thanks Mannhammer, The leaf springer for my Simplex was made entirely at home using a new $100. steel Indian style girder fork available on eBay and a chopped utility trailer spring (new less than $50. ) also ebay & scrapes of steel.

The primary tools used were a small drill press and an angle grinder and assorted flap discs, and cutoff discs. Hardly any welding to do on my design. You can farm that out. Actually lack of time can be a plus in building a first time effort as ordering the forks from China takes a couple of weeks and gives time to figure out the steps involved etc.

Ask specific questions as you collect the parts I'll be glad to help guide you through this. The rocker plates I used are basically antiques and may be hard to find, but they are available at ?? cost. Of course most builders of leaf spring forks just use heavy gauge flat steel plate to make their own rockers.

I'd readily agree this is not the ideal first build project to tackle, but with patience it can be done at home and at very low cost (under $300.), but get in a hurry & it might be a nightmare. Rick C.

fasteddy likes this.