Not even a month old

GoldenMotor.com

philymitch

Feb 7, 2009
Fresno CA USA
I pulled the cover off today and this is what I found. the big gear is striped what can cause this and do you think it is still under warranty. Its the spot between the red lines.
.bld.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Phily,
That is a strange one for sure.
What does the crankshaft gear, the small one in front, look like? Does it show any signs of abnormal wear? Were the gears ever lubricated? It doesn't require much, just a dab so you don't get grease in the clutch. Unless the engine block halves are loose and coming apart there is really no way for those gears to be misaligned or too far apart unles there is a problem with the engine casting or something is cracked and allowing separation. This is the first time I've seen this problem but hopefully someone with years of China gal experience will have an answer.
Tom

philymitch

Feb 7, 2009
Fresno CA USA
The small gear looks untouched. I also clean and regrease those gears every 5 hours of riding. Also The motor runs just fine. I took the cover off because it sounded a little dry on my ride to the store. So this had to happen within the last 5 hours of riding.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm wondering if your clutch is a bear to operate with the clutch cable routed under the front engine mount? As for the gear stripping off its teeth is your chain real tight? You might have lost or trashed the bearing in the shaft that the clutch and rear drive sprocket are mounted on there is a bearing under the clutch and the rear drive sprocket.
Or your drive gear on the clutch was faulty from the get go.
I also noticed what looks like an exhaust leak with the oily stuff at the base of your cylinder and you might even have an intake leak quite a bit of poo around the intake.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am guessing you have an extremely eccentric gear....some are a little out, maybe yours id way out? How did it sound while riding it?

philymitch

Feb 7, 2009
Fresno CA USA
Yes norman that was an intake leak that was causing my motor to bog in and out at wot. I fixed that leak and that problem went away. As for the clutch gear they are sending me one in the mail. I also asked if fixing the motor my self would void the warranty, they said no. The closest thread I could find on this is the one Norman did on clutch gears but Im still confused a little. How do you keep the motor from turning to get the gear nuts off.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
"How do you keep the motor from turning"...I used the cap off a Bic pen,the pointy part, and jam it in the gears. Doesn't hurt the gears but probably voids the warranty on the Bic.:D

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
to lock up the gears so you can remove the nuts I use a shop rag jammed into the gears.
You might try shimming behind the clutch with very thin washers to get the teeth on the gears to line up better so more teeth contact each other. Most of these engines have an over bite on the teeth of the gears. Your whine and I have one that does it too, is caused by................................. I don't know maybe it don't want to play.
Really it has to do with the gears and the way they mesh or don't mesh right. I have one engine and it sounds like it has a super charger the way it whines and at about 20mph up to 30 mph then it quites down. My other engines don't do this.
Norman

philymitch

Feb 7, 2009
Fresno CA USA
Thanks For all the help Guys. I got it all back together and i also leaned out the mix by one notch and it runs like a champ now. If it happens agian I will repost it.
Thank you Agian guys for all your help.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
could have been caused by the screw that locks the flower nut or phily must have very strong legs...jumping on the pedals to start it... anywaysl, glad you're riding again... :)