Non Adjustable CNS carb?

GoldenMotor.com

JaxInsany

May 6, 2013
Portland, OR
Good evening to all! I was having some idle problems with my bike that the idle screw wasn't resolving, so I decided to open up my CNS carburetor (a high performance YD one from a Skyhawk kit) and adjust the brass/coppery slide pin to another notch when I noticed it had only ONE notch. I now have no idea how to adjust it and I wonder if I have to find a completely new pin for the carb.

Here is a picture of the pin: http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/jaxinsany13/media/IMG_0218_zpsb040579f.jpg.html

And here is a picture of the model of carb I have: http://www.pistonbikes.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/cns3.jpg

Longshot270

May 8, 2012
Texas
I took a dremel tool and added a lower notch to richen the A/F ratio. It was cut very close to the standard notch. If you know anyone with a lathe, that makes the job much easier and more precise.

I had first experimented by adding some very thin washers below the retainer clip. Once I got a height I wanted, I cut a new ring.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Good evening to all! I was having some idle problems with my bike that the idle screw wasn't resolving, so I decided to open up my CNS carburetor (a high performance YD one from a Skyhawk kit) and adjust the brass/coppery slide pin to another notch when I noticed it had only ONE notch. I now have no idea how to adjust it and I wonder if I have to find a completely new pin for the carb.

Here is a picture of the pin: http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/jaxinsany13/media/IMG_0218_zpsb040579f.jpg.html

And here is a picture of the model of carb I have: http://www.pistonbikes.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/cns3.jpg
Welcome to the club
The cns has a little brass plug on it and under that plug is an air fuel
adjustment screw that's why no extra c clip notches

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
He did say he doesn't have a clip dr, he said , he's only got on notch in the pin. my advice take that CNS and throw it in the recycle bin in order an RT carb from Dax . We should throw old man Grubee in Chinese Jail for producing those crappy carburetors .

Last edited:

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az

Sorry HD where did he say that and the picture showed the clip being on it
just turned around. although I do agree with you

"He did say he doesn't have a clip dr, he said , he's only got on notch in the pin."

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
And the air adjustment screw is under the brass plug where red arrow is
just drill a small hole and pop it out with needle noses underneath a screw
DA**** EPA

Attachments

Last edited:

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
I have to question a high performance carb you can't tune.
not defending it as I haven't tried mine yet
but look on a cars carb, idle adjustment, air fuel adjustment
that is tuning the carb and I just can't resist a DUH:)

it's just a shame the EPA makes them hide that screw.

and how you tune it, just like on a car, turn the idle screw out till it's
just barely running then adjust the air mixture screw back and forth till
you find the sweet spot then turn idle screw up to desired setting

Last edited:

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Why not just buy a speed carb for $20?
already bought another nt $10 like them better anyway
however I will try the cns, I take nobodies word on nothing!
or as said in the shop believe nothing that you hear and only 10 percent
of what you actually see LOL

here's one for you
Definition of an elephant
A mouse built to goverment specs HA..........HA:)

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Well, crap. I'm lazy, so this totally changes what I was intending to do with my carb. How hard is it to adapt an NT onto the throttle cable used by a cns?

I might just buy another CNS V3 like I've got...

*edit*

I just went to gasbike and all the CNS carbs have the air idle adjustment screws. WTF? Unless they've changed again.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Well, crap. I'm lazy, so this totally changes what I was intending to do with my carb. How hard is it to adapt an NT onto the throttle cable used by a cns?

I might just buy another CNS V3 like I've got...

*edit*

I just went to gasbike and all the CNS carbs have the air idle adjustment screws. WTF? Unless they've changed again.
Actually it's very easy to adapt. All you need is a propane torch, solder, and doorbell wire, to customize the length of the throttle cable.

I think you need a different manifold, make it a shorty.

If you don't feel up for it, then buy a new throttle cable for an NT. The same cable fits a speed carb btw.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Actually it's very easy to adapt. All you need is a propane torch, solder, and doorbell wire, to customize the length of the throttle cable.

I think you need a different manifold, make it a shorty.

If you don't feel up for it, then buy a new throttle cable for an NT. The same cable fits a speed carb btw.
Huh. Where can I get a cable for the NT?

I might just buy a CNS since I've already got the lid from the current CNS I have. Wouldn't have to adapt anything.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Huh. Where can I get a cable for the NT?

I might just buy a CNS since I've already got the lid from the current CNS I have. Wouldn't have to adapt anything.
Where ever you're buying parts from now will sell cables for NT carbs. They're the most common cables.