Nomad Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't know a lot about bicycles, but this one I ran across seemed pretty nice. I was out riding my motor bicycle and this guy came over and ask about my bike. Then he ask if I'd like to take a look at his. It was obvious he was really proud of it.

The he gave me the 2 cent tour. It's called a Nomad. He said it's his only form of transportation. He was about 20 miles from away from his home were I met him, and he indicated that's not unusual.

I was surprised it had fat tires. For a bike that gets ridden all over town it wasn't light weight, but it did seem really sturdy. Starting at the rear it had a Rohloff 15 speed hub. What impressed me about this hub the most besides having 15 gears, was he said it will shift to any gear even with the bike stopped.

Moving to the front it had a Schmidt in hub generator. I confess I've never heard of it, but he explained it had very low drag, and made maximum power at something like 2 mph. The bike was equipped with a LED head and tail light. The lighting had a capacitor that keeps the light on while you're waiting at stop lights. I think he said it was 3 watt but it looked pretty bright to me.

Another interesting feature it had was that the frame was made so it could come apart. If you notice on the top tube just in front of the seat post, and on the down tube just above the bottom bracket there's a alloy ring on the frame. This is where it comes apart. It seemed like a very high quality type of fitting. The whole bike reeked of quality.

I didn't ask how much it cost, but I'm pretty sure he had a lot in it. I told him he needs to motorize it. After seeing my bike I think he might at least think about it.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
That doesn't look much like a recreational lightweight. That bike gives off the same "serious transportation" vibes that Worksman bikes do. It looks like it was made for the long haul. On a guess, I would say I'd feel comfortable putting a motor on it.

I'd want a closer look at the fenders first, though.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Curiosity got to me. The bike is made by Thorn, apparently a UK company. Definately serious business but at over $3000 per, I don't think I'd toss a motor on one.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Curiosity got to me. The bike is made by Thorn, apparently a UK company. Definately serious business but at over $3000 per, I don't think I'd toss a motor on one.
That's right. I never heard of one before. The owner did mention it was a Thorn. WOW that's a lot of muhla. I'm not surprised, because just the joints where the frame came apart looked like something from a Bimota. I was thinking a $1000.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Sheeesh, at that price they should throw in aircraft landing lights......I would also hope it lasts near forever.....nice unit.

dnut

I did a little research on Schmidt in hub generators. It's made in Germany. No matter how fast you go it won't blow your bulbs. They're high end, $350 just for the generator, no lights.

Here's a link if you want to read up on them.

Bicycle Lights and Generators