No Spark, help please!!

GoldenMotor.com

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
Well I have some good news for the people in my situation and for myself. The small engine repair guy said the whole time I did have spark. How I didn’t ever see it after all the testing I did on it I have seriously no clue. But the reason my engine didn’t start is because he said fuel is sitting in the crankcase and is not going into the cylinder. It is flooding the crankcase and when gas does go in the cylinder it will flood the engine. So he said the engine is toast. I’m not sure if this is a common problem but maybe someone here would know about it.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
First, are you sure there is no spark? Hold plug in hand with hand against motor and pedal fast.
that is how you missed the fact that you had no spark

motor full of fuel is common - can happen any time one leaves petcock on when motor is not running

read thru the threads here about clearing it out

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
That's exactly what I said to the repair guy but he said apperently fuel is not getting into the cylinder untill the engine is flooded. I found that very weird.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
Ok well after reading a lot I think, although the repair guy said it wasn't the carb it is the carb and myself. I think i need to move the notch up one on the pin and not choke my carb for all my starting attempts. I read that trying to start the engine with the choke on for too long will flood it. Is that why i see fuel dripping out of the exaust after too runs down the hill? I also cant do any work yet because i dont have the engine back but tomorrow ill have it and be able to work on it. I am not stopping till this engine runs.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
first, like crassius said, you have to get that fuel out of the case.

If you have fuel dripping from your exhaust then fuel is getting into the cylinder. Just in case you are using the primer button or tickler, try not touching it. You really shouldn't need to and is more likely to cause flooding if you do.

You can try setting the carb float lower in the bowl if you haven't already.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
Ok I was always using the primer button a lot lol will stop that. And I did bend the prongs so the float is lowered now.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
Well the engine seems to be instantly flooding. I didn't even put the choke up and gas was dripping out of the exaust. I am going to take off the spark plug and turn the engine over unflood the engine and Im not sure what to do after I in flood it. Maybe I should bend the prongs even more or move the pin to the top notch? Not sure

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've seen a muffler drip fuel because it was full while motor wasn't - never hurts to take end cap off or whole muffler and shake it.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
Your right it was full of fuel but now I just realized the cylinder head is warped I can see a tiny day light through the gasket. But it still has good compression so in not going to worry about that yet because there is also no gas leaking form the head gasket.

Last edited:

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I feel like my engine is trying to start. Is has some short phases were it really kicks and sounds like it's trying to start but that's only for about a second or two.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
that gap around the head gasket is supposed to be there to help it seal - if your timing is right, then it may just be a bad CDI or bad spark plug

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
Well it can’t be the spark plug because it has a Ngk b7rhs in it but i will swap out the cei and try again.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
That plug you are using is a resistor plug, if I'm not mistaken, and not a good choice for these machines. Get a non resistor plug and try it. What gap are you set at? You can try gapping down to 022 to see if that helps get you going. If you're getting some false starts then it sounds like you're getting close.

Try starting without the choke on and giving no throttle. If your idle is set right it should start without either.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I I had it on no choke and no throttle and at one very tiny second I felt the engine pull me. I felt the g force very slightly so this thing has to be getting really close. I tried a different cdi and got the same split second jerk or pull here and there. The plug was also recommended in the instruction manual by the manufacturer and the repair guy so I think this one is ok. I’m not sure what to do now because I could get it started with a different cdi

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I use only zero resistance wires, plugs and plug caps.

b7hs is same as b7rhs without the resistor

also, a plug can fire intermittently if it is partially fouled way up inside

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
It is a brand new plug and is definitely doing ok but I'll give it a shot with the old crappy plugs that come with the kit

stormyshadows

May 8, 2018
that is how you missed the fact that you had no spark

motor full of fuel is common - can happen any time one leaves petcock on when motor is not running

read thru the threads here about clearing it out
I don't know how to make a post, but I have a problem. I accidentally left my bike with the gas thing open all night and now it doesn't start. If I pedal it it makes it sound like it's on since I'm pedaling but doesn't move and when I opened my spark plug it was full of oil, I replaced it and still nothing, what do I do? I'm assuming it's flooded or something but idk how to fix

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
Well I have had a somewhat similar problem with flooding it Jett flooded while I was trying to start it. The way I fixed it is by removing the spark plug, emptying the carb bowl with the screw that’s on it, turning the petcok in the off position, draining the fuel line then pedaling the bike with the clutch engaged but not too fast to where’s i damage the cylinder wall.