No Spark, help please!!

GoldenMotor.com

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
Well looks like I’m back to the beginning. I started up my bike successfully and ran it for about 5 minutes and had it stall out. I saw the carb was leaking fuel through the air filter so I fixed that by bending the cut off prongs. It still refuses to start but at least the gas isn’t leaking out of the air filter. Hope someone is still there to help.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
could be a lot if things - I'd go thru the 'no start' list again, but if spark is there, I'd consider carb was 'fixed' too much, or motor is now full of fuel

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I can once again confirm there is a lot of fuel in the engine so I took off the spark plug and I’m going to let that evaporate and there is also no spark

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
could be a lot if things - I'd go thru the 'no start' list again, but if spark is there, I'd consider carb was 'fixed' too much, or motor is now full of fuel
What do you mean by “fixed too much”

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you may have changed something in carb that you shouldn't have changed - but if it is no spark, then do what you did last time

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
That’s the thing I did absolutely nothing to the spark system and got it going for around 5 minutes then it died and I tested it after an no spark so I’m basically back to the beginning.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I once had a stator on which the 4 rivets hadn't all been pressed tight - it ran a bit untill the rivets got hot, then had no spark till it cooled - I re-pressed the rivits and all was good again, but I only saw that once in al the years of repairing these.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I do have multiple magneto that I know work so I'll just change from the one I have now

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I know not that motor specific as I have lawn mower engine Briggs, but same thing applies. I have added on my own a couple of external star tooth washers and sand papered the wire ring terminal and magneto and mount surfaces. Once tightened with screws I pot the connection with high temp red RTV compound to keep it clean. The RTV can be removed easily but won't come off easily with out Exacto knife, so it stays put. Also RTV for strain relief on any wires that go into epoxy of magneto as prevention too.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I changed the magneto and still don’t think there’s spark but I have been proven wrong recently so I’ll just try to start it. but now I think my carb is off. After a couple of attempts down the hill to start this thing I notice un burnt fuel leaking from my muffler. Not sure if that’s normal or the engine gets flooded very quickly. Also not sure how to adjust that on my NT carb

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
Looks like I have no sign of spark. And I recently found a lot of small metal fragments in my exhaust/muffler but I’m not sure if that’s important right now.

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I also did sand down the entire back of the magneto and where it makes contact with the engine so it has a good ground to the engine

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
you can't do anything without a spark, but how did you find metal in muffler and what does it look like

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
I first saw that there was a lot of oil dripping out of the muffler. I opened up to see what's going on and maybe drain it and I saw little pieces of silver metal that are very fine abd look likr silver sparkles but most of them were smaller. It id aldo the exact colour of the inside of the engine. And there were a lot of them.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
often, if you shake a new muffler it will sound like it is full of sand - opening it will show a lot of tiny round pellets falling out - not sure why, but they seem to be part of the manufacturing process for mufflers

Nnn

Mar 15, 2018
Ok well I was worried that I wore out my crankshaft but that’s a good thing to hear. I also soldered the cdi and magneto together because I heard that could make a difference but once again I saw no spark. I’m not sure what to do anymore along the lines of trouble shooting it seems I have tried everything.