Newbie in need of help...

GoldenMotor.com

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Hello everyone,

To begin with, I am an avid cyclist (have been for years). I have built multiple road and mountain bikes from the frame up without a problem. I was handed down a free bicycle, and ran across a fellow at work who stuck a motor on his cruiser. After being passed day in and day out on the way to work I decided to investigate into motorized bikes. I did a little research and purchsed a 80cc kit from some ebay seller.

Well it came today and I couldnt wait to get it on her. Everything was going fine until I came to installing the chain. The provided instructions were horrible, so I thought the 415 chain was just like any regular bike chain, so I broke it and after the fact was looking for the replacement retaining pin. Well theres no such thing, apparently these larger chains use a "Master Link" which I found after I had already broke the chain.

Ive ordered a new 415 chain from a place in Florida, and do not want to make the costly mistake again. Ive got no idea how to work with the master link properly.

Long read, so the cliffs notes is....is there a good tutorial for installing the 415 chain on an 80cc chinese 2 stroke motor kit?

Im lost (and frustrated) here!!!

Thanks.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Welcome to the forum. Well when I shorten my chain, I did not have a chain breaker, so I ground down the link using a cut off wheel and then a pin punch. Breaker would have been easyer. The master link must go between two of the narrow links and the retaining clip must slide on oppset the direction of rotation so it does not get knocked off. There are directions for assembling these bikes on many of the web sites like the ones that have ads here Page Title is one of them. And there are many people on this forum smarter then me who can help you out if you get stuck. Have fun building..ride7a

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Bob, welcome. Frustrating when ya can't get it up and running right off. This is just the way I do it and most folks do it differently. To break the chain, I just use a board with a hole in it, a nail and a punch. The chain will stretch so I use the tensioner until it is done then shorten the chain one more time. I put the master link on using needle nose pliers to close the gap and insert the link from behind. If the motor vibrates so that both sprockets get closer, I reposition the motor. Tilting it can adjust the distance a good bit but I try to keep the carb as level as possible. (Ya think I would break down and buy a proper chain breaker, snork)

How do you break a bicycle chain?

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Thanks guys, that page link helped alot. So basically the clip on the master link jut pops off and this allows the master links pins to move just enough to pop it off and pop it back on?

As for most bike chains (shimano), there is no master link. You simply break the chain once to feed it on the bike, determine the proper length, and then the chain comes with 2 break away retaining pins. You feed one of them in to complete the link, and a little break away part will be left over which you just snip off with some pliers.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Bob
Look in the classic posts you will find good info there.
The master link should be installed with the open end of the clip( the flat open ended thing that holds the master link together) pointing toward the rear of the bike as the chain goes over the front sprocket on the engine( top part of chain on bike going into engine when bike is going forward)
that clip that holds the master link together should be put over one stud of the master link then pushed over the other stud it will sort of snap on the stud don't bend the clip over the studs as it will not stay on when bent.
I hope I didn't confuse you.
I think I've posted on the classic posts on how to install the master link clip do look there as there is a lot of reading and also pictures. If you run into a snag that you can't figure out PM me and I'll do my best to help and that goes for anyone else reading this. I can't help if you don't ask.
Norman

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Thanks for the links again.

I got a 41 Roller chain from tractor supply today and a couple extra master links. Next problem is the tensioner not aligning with the driveline. Looks like I'll be using the torch and bench vise tonight.

I'll keep everyone posted. Tons of info here.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just asking Bob, is it facing in? Forgive me, just not understanding how it can not be lining up.

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
Just asking Bob, is it facing in? Forgive me, just not understanding how it can not be lining up.
Ha, no it wasn't. I took care of that quickly.

Everything is assembled, but its too late to try and start it. The last thing I am going to tinker with before I try and start it is the twist throttle. It is so tight that I can barely turn it 2/16". Is the best way to remedy this by cutting some of the cable housing off (equal to the distance I wish to turn it)?

The added chain really adds a lot more resistance, and noise. Is this normal or do I have the chain too tight?

Once I get her fired up, ill snap some pics of it and my other bicycles.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Speaking of chain links, do you really need that master link? Anybody??

When I put mine together (the right way) and took it for a spin, the chain broke and left me to push the bike home. I fixed this by eliminating the master link and using just another link. When I pushed the pins back in place, I tapped the ends of them with a ball peen hammer so they won't ever come out......I never had any chain problem since.

Now I know it's good to have a master link for easier repair, but pushing the pins out of any link is pretty easy, so what's the difference, if any?

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
I don't use master links... and I use BMX half-link chains... YBN for now, but planning to switch to Wippermann soon... 1/2 x 1/8" is the size... 415 chain is too heavy for me...

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
ITS ALIVE!

This was a very frustrating build, however, once it started up it all became worth it. Taking it easy for now, but it feels quite powerful. Need to tighten my brakes up for sure. Thanks for the help and encouraging comments. I'm sure I'll be frequenting these forums often now.

Here she is

Other rides Ive built and ride ALOT!