Newbie from Michigan

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by riminicat, Jul 24, 2011.

1. riminicat

riminicat New Member

Hey guys! I'll be starting my first build in a few weeks, I've got a grubee 50cc engine in the mail but I'm not sure on the bike yet. I know I should have planned this out a little more but I like winging it.
    If I can find a bike in the $100 range that won't need a lot of modification I'll be happy. Thought's and advice on this would be welcome, I'll try and post pics when I find a bike and start the build, till then I'll be reading others posts.

2. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Gutter Rider

Welcome to the forum!

3. riminicat

riminicat New Member

Thanks Goat Herder!

4. Motorpsykler

Motorpsykler New Member

Welcome to the forum! I'm a newbie to MB's myself. In the $100 range your looking at a Walmart bike or something used. This seems to be one of the few hotbutton topics around here. Check out this thread, http://motorbicycling.com/f3/debunking-myths-about-walmart-bikes-30242.html.

Plenty of opinions there, you don't want to start that debate again here, that's for sure. Again, welcome to the forum!

5. riminicat

riminicat New Member

Thanks for the welcome Motorpsykler. It looks like I'll be getting a wally world bike. I'll upgrade to something better over the winter.

6. Black Swamp Ghost

Black Swamp Ghost New Member

Welcome from one MI to another!! Before you hit the big store be sure to check your local CL...

Here is one close to ya that has a lot of potential..
    balloon tire bike..old

Good luck!

7. Black Swamp Ghost

BTW Tell em $65 take it or leave it! LOL...

8. riminicat

riminicat New Member

Hey I kinda like that bike Black Swamp Ghost, I wonder how much it would cost me to make it road worthy.

9. Mannhouse51

Mannhouse51 New Member

Welcome fellow Michigander !

10. riminicat

riminicat New Member

Thanks Mannhouse!

11. Black Swamp Ghost

All depends on what you like and how safe you consider "road worthy" LOL If it can roll down the road it MUST be worthy to do so???

I would say without seeing it in person, tires/tubes and would be a start.

12. riminicat

riminicat New Member

Well I got the motor today, I'm going to order a cranbrook, some breaks, and some grease. I'll start a build thread when I get it all.

13. oldgreyfox33

oldgreyfox33 New Member

It's OK that you bought the engine kit first, As a matter of fact, its a good idea to do that, because you may want to take the engine with you when you go to look at a bike, to see if the front and back motor mounts are going to fit or reach the tubes of the frame that you will be mounting it to. I had to do a make-shift add-on motor mount extension on my front motor mount.

14. riminicat

riminicat New Member

Good to know I didn't mess up on that. I went and looked at bikes today, I forgot I decided not to order the Grubee, I ordered a Raw instead. Still a good motor from what I hear. I'm ordering a cranny and some breaks right now.
    I went to walmart and looked at them but I didn't want it assembled by them, they told me I could wait for the truck and grab one when it came in but I had stuff to do and didn't want to wait.
    I think I'm going to buy some replacement allen key bolts and stuff, I've never done any thing like this but I saw on another thread that it was recommended.
    Here's to hoping I get it all done under $350, I think I'll be fine though.
    Maybe if I get good at this I'll have my sister bring her camera over and I'll film a complete build for people that have never done this. But I've got to learn to do the stuff myself first!