New cylinder type

GoldenMotor.com

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
I got this new cylinder for the 66 and it has open transfer ports also a split exhaust port ,...so what's up with the new style cylinders are they worth the buy does open transfers make a difference if so what's the get down ?anybody got anything?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Be sure its not ported for reed unless you are going to run them. Most I have seen are. Looks like a great cylinder. I have seen some shipped with the Runwell PK80s.

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
It is the pk80 cylinder and a piston came with but it's a low pin piston I should a ordered the gt5 setup they have a high pin piston it's what o need

Hella Doodle

Oct 12, 2019
Sorry for butting in without anything useful to say. How do I start my own question in here? I have an iPhone and can’t seem to make a post anywhere. Should I log into a computer? Is fine if so would just need to go to the library.

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Hi, hella doodle you've done posted your post you are in the right direction so far this forums a good learning tool ask your questions im sure someone around here has the information you can use

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Trip out on this **** open transfers and a channeled exhaust should I remove the channel or try it out?? Leave it stock now that's not easy but in need of more information before installation
15734046810884178398927536924198.jpg
15734046810884178398927536924198.jpg
15734047585423597717595562198278.jpg

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for posting up the great photos Lewdog.

Am I correct in guessing this to be intended for a reed valve and window piston induction? Have any changes been made to the intake side of the jug? Third port milled into the cylinder or intake port size or location modified? If so another photo of the intake side of the jug would be helpful as well, both from the inside and outside of the jug. Also a photo of the exhaust port from the outside would be nice.

Some real alteration of fuel mix going on with this alteration and it seems the exhaust port has been widened a lot which seems a change which would require expansion pipe tuning to make it work effectively.

I'll hold off on being too critical at this point, but I like the thought that this might actually work. I'm an optimist by nature though a skeptic by training.

Rick C.

Reactions: lewdog7431

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
These cylinders have been around for a few years now... I really like them!

They have higher quality castings than the old style cylinders.
They are 'piston port' design (& not for reed valves), but can be modified for a reed just like the old style jugs.
The open transfer ports are for more air flow & also keep the rings oiled a lot better.
The split exhaust port keeps the rings in the ring grooves & keeps them from snagging on the port roof!

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Norm that answers my questions. I'll probably snag one and use it for my next upper replacement and reed port it.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Has anyone tried the steel sleeved jugs that Zeda Motorsport offers on some of their engines?

Rick C.

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
These are the picts of the jug , inside and out and it appears that this cylinder is not altered, also the motor is still in pieces I've been waiting for a high pin piston I've ordered 3 low pin pistons on accident and the mail takes forever it's the waiting game for me

Attachments

Reactions: Venice Motor Bikes

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks for the photos Lew. Norms post verified in my mind that this is a good jug and the photos show the castings are a lot smoother than most. He also clarified that this is only shipped as a port timed jug, not reed. I also like the reinforcing webs they added. Which company did you order this one from?

I think everyone has gotten the wrong piston a time or two on the high pin low pin error, sometimes the vendor sends out the wrong one. The cylinder does look unaltered from what I see, though conversion to reed valve would be quite simple.

Rick C.

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Ok cool thanks R, it's the pk80 cylinder and the piston that came with it is low pin so this is not gonna work with the gt6 eng, which has a zae40mm crank armt the pistons are for the pk which is has 38mm crank arm so I'm waiting for a top end rebuild parts from zelda, ported +polished cylinder piston rings for about 65$ anyway this is all for the work bike ,I gotta have it man or else I pedal my ass to work and pulling a trailer is not as fun as it is when I have a motor to pull me around, will update asap with pictures

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yes the 38mm & 40mm crank is what throws things off for both the buyer and vendor.

My little tag along was purchased on line & has served me well but I really need to build a wider track trailer using 20" bike tires on higher axle mounts to lower the center of gravity. The current one has to be pulled under 20mph because of the crappy midget tires and cornering at a walk when loaded. Easy build just never seem to take the time or put in the effort!

Rick C.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes the 38mm & 40mm crank is what throws things off for both the buyer and vendor.

My little tag along was purchased on line & has served me well but I really need to build a wider track trailer using 20" bike tires on higher axle mounts to lower the center of gravity. The current one has to be pulled under 20mph because of the crappy midget tires and cornering at a walk when loaded. Easy build just never seem to take the time or put in the effort!

Rick C.
Also could be axle setback that can cause sway, for every foot of bed the axle should have 1" setback past center........Curt

kelly dean

Oct 3, 2019
kentucky
i purchased one of the open tansfer cylinders using on the latest rebuild of my OCC, running it on a (zeda) triple 40 bottom end. still in the break in period but im quite happy with it. The chrome in it is very nice uniform no spalling etc. it has fairly large ports stock. Setup with a single base gasket its got the best port timing ive seen without porting, the exhaust port timing is all but perfect and it took a very minimal skirt adjustment for a fully open intake. I like the design. the middle rail should keep the rings in place fine and there has to be a certain amount of friction reduction, the motor is real rappy. time will tell...... kelly