New Build Cool Stuff

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hello all,

I've spent a few days on this new build and finally have the engine mounted.

I did up a set of Ridley type mounts...they are a little Frankenstein-ish, (I made them on the manual mill instead of the CNC), but the motor isn't going to fall off.

I think I have figured out how to make these universal so that everyone will be able to get the benefit of this type of mount. Next build I will have more time to sort things out. This bike is going to be a present for one of my customers' wife.

I will be doing another build right after Christmas.

The other thing I did to this bike so far is a clam shell type sprocket mount...It worked out really slick...I made a sprocket to go with it, but I think I'm going to have to make another one with about 3/8" offset.

I have a bunch more stuff I'm going to add to this build...I'll keep you posted.

When it is done, it will add a whole new dimension to the name Dan gave this bike, "Big Meanie".

Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Jim, You have outdone yourself. They look pretty. :)

So when are they going to be available on the market?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Jim, You have outdone yourself. They look pretty. :)

So when are they going to be available on the market?
Thank you!

At this point they are total overkill...I just didn't have time with this one to do the computer work...I made these off-the-cuff. The next build I will be able to spend the time to perfect it.

To finally answer your question...hopefully the end of January.

Jim

Last edited:

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
I kind of like the big bushings. You may as well start designing exhausts to get the complete look you are heading to. Also if you enlarge the top fins on the motor, you'll be able to get a larger motor look that would match the mounts. All of your upgrade could then match up a board track bike motor look. I'm just jealous cause I'm stuck with the standard look. I like the beefier look but that's just me.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I kind of like the big bushings. You may as well start designing exhausts to get the complete look you are heading to. Also if you enlarge the top fins on the motor, you'll be able to get a larger motor look that would match the mounts. All of your upgrade could then match up a board track bike motor look. I'm just jealous cause I'm stuck with the standard look. I like the beefier look but that's just me.
You read my mind!!! The tuned exhaust that's going on this one will be all custom formed. It's a project that will start tomorrow. It's going to get a new cylinder head as well.

I really wish they, (GT), had not discontinued this bike...I didn't know it when I bought it. I was going to use this as a base model to offer completed bikes here in the Tampa bay area. There are a lot of people who would really enjoy these that don't have the tools and know-how...well built ready-to-go bikes, would give them the opportunity of ownership/fun without the hassles.

Jim

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
tech question: When my motor mount loosen up, the vibration caused the fuel to foam. This caused the motor to run faster then ever before, adding about 7mph to the top speed, but if I ran it full open, then it would die once it reached full speed. I fixed the motor mount fixing the foaming problem. But also lost the extra mph and rpms. Would motor mounts do the same problem or would they dampen the vibration. If the dampen the vibration I could see they could increase the rpm and mph.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I do not have the words for how impressed I am by that bit of work! :eek:
Yeah, you're not the only one. I received the clutch kit from his post in this thread http://motorbicycling.com/f3/has-anyone-seen-4750.html#post46101 First of all the clutch kit came very fast, was nicely packaged, and I could tell just by looking at all the little parts in it, it is VERY nicely done.

I am impressed every time I see something Creative Engineering has made, be it a bike or any of the other things he has made.
The name he got here really fits him, to a T.

I've not installed his kit yet but that's a topic for another thread, maybe tomorrow.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
tech question: When my motor mount loosen up, the vibration caused the fuel to foam. This caused the motor to run faster then ever before, adding about 7mph to the top speed, but if I ran it full open, then it would die once it reached full speed. I fixed the motor mount fixing the foaming problem. But also lost the extra mph and rpms. Would motor mounts do the same problem or would they dampen the vibration. If the dampen the vibration I could see they could increase the rpm and mph.
They should completely dampen the vibration. A-arm bushings are basically just a tube in a tube with rubbber between them.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Yeah, you're not the only one. I received the clutch kit from his post in this thread http://motorbicycling.com/f3/has-anyone-seen-4750.html#post46101 First of all the clutch kit came very fast, was nicely packaged, and I could tell just by looking at all the little parts in it, it is VERY nicely done.

I am impressed every time I see something Creative Engineering has made, be it a bike or any of the other things he has made.
The name he got here really fits him, to a T.

I've not installed his kit yet but that's a topic for another thread, maybe tomorrow.
Thank you! I'm glad you liked your clutch kit. These projects take time, but eventually I'm going to have a series of universal replacement parts that will work on most of the bikes that are available. Fotunately the price of metal is dropping...

I look at it like this...It wasn't long ago that engine kits were $250.00, now they're just over $100. If I make a multi-stage kit with the most elaborate costing about $100, the customer will be at the same price as before with a waaaay nicer kit. I know this sort of thing will not be for everyones budget, I'm really figuring it will be the repeat build guys and gals that will want the nicer parts.

Jim

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I think a large portion of the vibration problem with these motors has to do with the cheap unbalanced cranks. Those mounts should help though.

What's funny is in high performance cars, they like to go to solid mounts so the motor doesn't twist so much under torque. We want to ditch our solids and go for soft mounts...granted these aren't quite high performance motors :)

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I know the crank I inspected was waaaay out...most of them probably are!

The dampeners should alleviate the high harmonic from transmitting through the frame. This should make the bike feel a little less cheesy. We'll see what happens when I go for a ride.

Jim