new and ignorant to 2 strokes. how do I know if I fried my engine?

GoldenMotor.com

laycis101grad

Jun 10, 2012
los angeles
Like I said Im new and still learning about this stuff, so forgive my ignorance..I put regular gas without oil and road around for a while. now when I release the clutch, the wheel locks up. dont know if the engine is done or not. what are sure signs of of a dead engine??

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
when you release clutch wheel locking up is a sure sign engine is siezed.
so why no oil?
manual should have explained the benifits of adding 2 cycle oil to your gas.
sorry it happenend,next step would be a new cylinder ,piston,head and gaskets.
hopefully it didnt burn up your connecting rod bearings.
depending on where you got it,a replacement engine may also be available.

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
take the head off[its the top of the motor4 nuts] get a piece of wood. put the wood on top of the piston and knock it down. if it becomes loose and the hole isnt gouged pour a little oil on top of the piston and put the head back on. pull the sparkplug out and ride it around the block. if you made it this far, install the plug back in, add oil to your gas and good luck its more than likely the motor is no good but it will give you something to do and it might work...maybe. otherwise your screwed.. :/ [i like how u put that.. :/]

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Easier yet- pour some oil down the plug hole, then rock it back and forth to see if you can get it to move.

If you do, drain the gas out, INCLUDING THE CARB FLOAT BOWL and mix some more at 24:1 and fire it up and see how it runs.

You'd be surprised.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, remove the spark plug and put about a thimble full of 2 stroke oil down the spark plug hole.

Then remove the magneto cover (the big one with 4 screws on the left side of the motor)

Use a wrench on the rotor nut to work the crank back and forth. Gently. Easy. Back and forth.

If it breaks loose you win. If you hear a snapping noise something broke.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Oh, of course. Silly me. Well, at the worst, he could buy *just* an engine and swap it out. Worst case scenario, he's not just going to be out the entire $450, just the cost of a new engine for it.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Yes, that would be the *best case* scenario =3. I'm just waiting on the day that I forget to put oil in mine... I hope it never happens. I only use dyed premix for that reason.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
if it frees up youll be lucky if it isnt damaged internally , ie: bearings ,rings, scored piston or wall you will be truely fortunate , just remember breaking in a new motor requiers the fuel mix to be around 25 to 1 for the first couple of tank fulls then lean it out to around 32 to 1 .
Gary