New 80cc Bike Kit, Does not start, Possible Flooding

GoldenMotor.com

tanmann13

Mar 16, 2017
California
I recently acquired a new 80cc bike kit. When I first got it, it was working fine, no issues really. After taking it on a bumpy road one day, all my problems began. At first I was sure it was only the carburetor. I completely took apart the entire carburetor and found that the tube that the needle slides into, was unscrewed, just bouncing around in the bowl. I reassembled it with no luck. I then went to check the spark plug. It is black but sparks fine and no problems with that to my knowledge. I then checked the timing (which happened to be correct), as i thought that was the issue, with no luck again. It appears there is compression (the bike fighting against you when letting out the clutch, very different feeling than when the spark plug is unscrewed. From there i thought it was the fuel air mix. I sprayed WD-40 into the cylinder, and the bike would slowing come the life, the choke appeared to make no difference on idle speed, and then soon after it would die. I tried making sure there was lots of fuel in the carb before starting, and still no luck.

I am beginning to thing that this whole time I have been letting too much fuel enter the system before starting. Maybe no priming at all before starting will be the answer? Im thinking I should just buy a new "racing" carb, ($20 on Amazon) and be done with the old carb and hope my problems will be solved with that.

Anybody with a little instruction as to what I might be doing wrong or methods to starting with more finness, would be highly appreciated.

I will stay active on the forum, and hopefully if a solution is found, it can help many with the same or similar problem.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I usually drip a bit of fuel into cylinder and if it pops a bit, I figure there's no fuel flow thru carb - perhaps you bent the float prongs when working in there?

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I'm with Crassius; focus on the carb. You indicate it'd been running fine, but suddenly stopped doing so. You found your issue immediately: the loose jet. It should have been a simple matter of screwing it back in and reassembling the carb. Check the float-height, and make sure there's no crap in the jet. Overthinking will drive you nuts, and may result in making the issue worse.

tanmann13

Mar 16, 2017
California
I dried out the entire carb over night, and in the morning, it took about 15 minutes of pedaling and attempting to start, and eventually it came to life. I think I may have been priming it too much, I also adjusted the pin to make it as lean as possible, now it is quite responsive and running well. I just got a new hp carb yesterday, now it starts up in an instant.

Thanks for the help guys!

dance1