new 79cc burning oil

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting' started by Geordan White, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Geordan White

Geordan White New Member

Hello everyone , I have an Onex 29er and i upgraded my 49cc to a 79cc 4 stroke.( governor removed ).No other mods done... It fit pretty good and only at a slight angle forward. My dilemma is this : My engine seems to run great first of all, but it smokes after warming up and going for a ride....and the smoke is oil burning in the cylinder. Now i have tried the exact amount specified in the manual and i have looked in these forums for an answer... I even tried removing some of the oil in case there was too much....and it was getting in to the cylinder because of this.. The engine is new ..so my only conclusion is that ....1 the rings have not seated yet...or 2. I already have a problem with this thing I.E. bad rings or cylinder ?? Now i have seen in other forums someone did mention that he only had 8 ounces of oil in his engine without any issues.... Im at sort of a loss here. The thing is with this one... It runs GREAT , has compression etc... Do i just have too much oil in it ? I have approximately 13oz of SAE 30 with Zinc (break in oil)... anyway ...any help would be great... Ill post some pics later on so the engine mounting angle is shown... Thanks ...G. White

2. Geordan White

Geordan White New Member

Hello everyone, I wanted to post pics so the angle and the build is shown.. I wanted to note that .. I can start the engine and run it standing still with little to no smoke at all. It’s after I get on the road and I’m rocking on the throttle and going around corners . When I hop off it’s usually just billowing smoke out of the exhaust..even spitting oil... seems like a lot. And when I shut it down . I can hear it sizzling in the hot pipe. I put 13.5oz of oil in it and that is exactly the amount called for in the manual. ... I hope I can get this resolved. The bike came out really nice and it rides beautifully.... again..any pointers or comments would be greatly appreciated....GWhite

Attached Files:

3. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, we have some guys here that have a lot of experience with the predators so you’ve come to the right place. Several guys race them and get a lot of power out of them.

4. Geordan White

Geordan White New Member

Thanks Greg ..I really appreciate the warm welcome !! ... yeah I’m hoping to get some answers. I fired it up this morning and just ran it standing still( on it’s kickstand) . I let it warm up idling then ran it up and got the engine nice and heated up ... and little to no smoke. So ... it’s only when I’m tilting the engine.. I’m really starting to think I’ve just got a little too much oil in the engine.. the angle is approximately 25% forward. So all the oil is pooling up there and that’s where the crank is so when I turn a corner the cylinder gets flooded with oil ..but I will say my 49cc I had in this same bicycle ..never.. smoked like this., so... . ? Someone has run in to this I’m sure I just need to be patient and wait for some input...

5. Geordan White

Geordan White New Member

Hello motorbikers ... It’s HOT here ! 101 Plus !! Anyway ...I hope I have done my introduction right on here and posted my questions in the right area... I’m rather new to this forum stuff. I actually removed exactly 1 ounce more of oil from my crankcase last night, took my bike for a spin, ..got back home here and.. Whoalla ! No smoke ! So maybe I solved my own issue... I went ahead and wrapped my header tonight so I can quit burning my leg. I would still like to know if anyone has had this oils smoke issue or has an idea of oil amounts for 79cc on a 25% slant forward...or any other pointers...

6. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

Not sure about the amount of oil, but tipping engine is common, also know that any new engine will use oil until the rigs seat themselves.
    Welcome aboard...............Curt

7. Geordan White

Geordan White New Member

Hey thanks Curt, yeah it looks like I had a little too much oil in it as well. The amount specified in the manual (approximately 13.5 oz) is too much if the motor is slanted at all. I removed about 3oz and no more smoking..

8. Venice Motor Bikes

Venice Motor Bikes Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

When you tilt the engine like that, you can't rely on the dipstick for a correct oil level.

What I did was take off the side cover, & 'eyeball' where the correct oil level would be on the side of the crankshaft & then figure out where the new oil level line is with the engine tilted... Then I drilled & tapped the side cover for a brass plug so I can always fill to the new level.

Here's some pictures of the brass plug & a crappy drawing of what I'm talking about...
    oil level plug3.jpg oil level plug1.jpg oil level plug2.jpg

indian22, FOG and Greg58 like this.
  9. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

Norm I was hoping you or one of the guys that do the predators for racing would reply, I was thinking the same but since I have no first hand knowledge it’s good to hear.

indian22 and Venice Motor Bikes like this.
  10. Venice Motor Bikes

Jeff Wolf is way better at these big engines than I am...

indian22 likes this.
  11. indian22

indian22 Well-Known Member

You both pretty darn salty!

Rick C.

12. Russell

Russell Well-Known Member

Could you tell me what brand clutch is in this picture. THX

13. Venice Motor Bikes

It's a Bully clutch... Sportsman Flyer sells them specially set up for 212cc engines.

14. indian22

indian22 Well-Known Member

The photos show several great 212cc engine setup solutions that bear study in addition to the oil sight plug. First is the use of a primary chain tensioner (idler) between clutch and reduction gear. Second the clean jackshaft design and last a beautiful, well fitted custom exhaust. Another wonderful bike from Venice Motor Bikes. The Bully clutch is a point to focus on as well...good clutch made really special by Pat over at Sportsman Flyers with the special setup for cycling use, which is quite different than the typical requirement for karting. I've never read a bad comment about the performance of these specific clutches...

Again nice work from both Norm and Pat.

Rick C

Venice Motor Bikes likes this.