neigbors call the cops!

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I am a fan of GOOD POLICE, with that said they are far and few between. 1st) I always carry a copy of my states motor assisted bicycle code.

2nd) when ever I can I record interaction with police, video and audio (this is legal in all 50 states, officers have no expectation of privacy in a public domain while on duty). this way if they misbehave you have proof, this will be needed if you file a complaint, enough compliants and he'll lose his job, enough of them from one person and it is basis for a harassment suit. If you have a fenced yard keep the gate closed ( they must have an invitation or a warrant to enter) an open gate is considered an invitation( legally speaking). Remember, always try to be patient with cops, most of them are on the job because they couldnt make it in the military and didnt have the education to get a better paying job in the public sector.

As for the neighbor some people may be apt to return the favor calling the cops and telling them "the person @ (insert address) just tried to sell me drugs" They will go and speak to them. It will end in one of a few different ways, Officer ask them "may I come in and look? " 1)They tell him "NO" this makes them look as if they have something to hide. The cops will then keep a close watch on their daily lives looking for the chance to pull em over and look around. 2) The neighbor is stupid enough to say "sure" upon which the house will be searched and turned inside out wether anything is found or not. But I know some unsavory types of people,lol. Cops are like any other tool, there to be used.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Thanks guys for giving me an inspiration; I will build my own "town & country exhaust" like many of the old-style bikes had. Good way to test the effects of back pressure on performance. Auto engines usually make more torque with some back pressure.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hey I've had bad neighbors before and it was next door...so I bought yard flamingos and nomes and had them all staring down their house...don't know if they ever got the hint but at least me and some of the other neighbors got some amusement out of them...

I had a run in with the cops on my bike once...they pulled me over for rolling through a stop sign...5 cops showed up as it took an hour to give me that ticket...when they asked how the bike worked I would tell them that you peddle it...I didn't lie...I know they tried to find a way of screwing me but in co if the primary source of power is peddle than it is technically a bike and the engine size is irrelevant.

My advice would be to stay off the cops radar...cops cannot be trusted!!!

Ride fast...take chances!!!
Funny. The menacing Nomes and Falmingos...

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
Funny thing, my niece brought her new boyfriend over for dinner last night. He is an officer in a neighboring county. He could not stay away from the bikes. He took the Whizzer for several rides.

Be respectful, in turn you will be respected!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I can't believe I just remembered this, granted, I see the car so often I've blocked it out.

My neighbor across the street is a cop for the next town over. He doesn't complain. :D

jrol22

Mar 19, 2010
IL
I had a cop pull up behind me and turn on the lights AND siren.
Needless to say i nearly Sh** my pants when that thing went off.

Once I got to the side the officer came out asking for papers.
Dude thought it was an actual motorcycle. After explaining to him, and proving to him the laws for the specific city i was in (I mainly ride it in 3 cities, and I've gone as far as printing out what they say about the motorized bicycles) He still didnt believe me.

After a good 10 mins of talking he ended up by saying "Either way, You would probably need a motorcycle license to ride that thing"
Which at that point I reached for my wallet and showed him my licence, WITH the "M" (In IL, not sure in other states, that IS the proof of having a Motorcycle license) on it.

Needless to say that shut him up and he left.

As well as a few years back, WAY BEFORE I even knew the motorized bicycles existed, I had placed Neon lights on a lowrider bike I had (Which at this point IS the motorized bicycle)
Same ordeal occured, cop pulled up behind me and turned the red and blues.
Told me it was illegal to have those out on the street...
I simply told him that my headlight batter was running low and I wanted to be seen.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
I started riding one of these things when I was like 13.... cant say I had the best judgement. I was actually pretty decent - but got caught running through a stop sign by a motorcycle cop. (but officer I have to stay @ full throttle through the stop sign to make it up the hill on the next block...) He was very nice and let me off with a pretty stern warning - but I could tell he liked my bike. Now I always stop etc.
Im about to turn 16 and be officially "legal" To be honest cops around here (san francisco) really dont give a crap - there are crazy moped tuners blasting through traffic at like 40mph all the time and they barely turn a head. Pedal bikes rarely even stop at stop signs on the city bike routes (I never do - and im often riding with a group of 10 or more other bike commuters) and the cops never bother you about that. Not to mention the tendencies of people here to smoke weed in front of cops.... crazy city. Seriously - i go to school right by the famous Haight street - but to be honest its just a bunch of crack heads that will try to break your u lock to steal your bike. Ok enough rambling.... MoTo brnotbrnotbrnot

EDIT: THIS is the kind of crap people pull in san francisco: http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/27499971.html

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
A, the neighbours are upset, thread. Myself I've never done that but in the early 80's I worked with a guy who hung out with 3 brothers who had a neighbour who called the cops every time one of them drove in the driveway of their house because they were up to something in his mind.

The pay backs were a howl. The boys love their beer and as we have all experience, what goes in must eventually find it's way out. With 4 guys plus friends, mom was just a little more than tired of mopping up after drunks so the house was off limits.
Didn't take long for the boys to figure out that a large funnel and a length of garden hose nailed to the garage wall served the purpose perfectly but here to put the end of the hose?

Someone came up with the idea that was to run it into a length of rigid drainage pipe that was buried and the problem was solved. Next Door Neighbour had a nice thick hedge that was about a foot and a half away from the fence. Remove a section of fence late at night, bury pipe, hook up and cover. Done. Mr Next Door never figured where the smell came from and a pail of water every once in a while made sure it kept coming. Hedge was too thick to see the ground.

Pay back #2. They had a garage band going as well as motorcycles. Calls about motorcycles revving their engines. This is during the early evening hours and weekends. The answer was to leave the motorcycles at someones house and turn 3-6' column speakers up against the wall with a good tape deck wired in loaded with motorcycles revving up and burning rubber and lean over while in bed and plug the power in. When the cops were pounding on the door at 3 am one of the boys would take the cop out to the garage, open it up, turn the light on and say "what motorcycles"??
The parent weren't to keen on Mr.Next Door so they allowed this to go on.

I'd hear all about it the next day at work. The house next door sold at long last to a nice young couple and everything went back to being normal. Sure ended the fun over the morning coffee break though.

Steve.

Last edited: