NEED HELP!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Zachary Gouveia

Jan 2, 2020
I recently got one of these kits and put it together it took a lot of learning to get the thing running as it was my first time ever working on either a bike or an engine, I basically couldn't get it started and couldn't figure out why eventually I figured out it was a bad cdi so I ordered performance parts like a super magneto, and a stage 2 bolt master cdi, and a high performance 3 prong spark plug after this everything was running but with low power. For instance if I tried to go up a hill the engine would cut off but I assumed this had to do with the break in period well everything was going smoothly until one night the i rode it home let it sit for about an hour and when I tried to hop on it again it wouldnt start and when I pedal its almost as if there isnt anythinghappening inside of it

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum Zachary, it sounds like you have a couple of problems. Low power can sometimes be due to miss matched magneto and cdi, a lot of different values have been reported. When you say nothing is happening inside the engine is it turning over? If not check the clutch, if it is turning you may have piston or ring damage. Give as much info as you can and someone will help.

Zachary Gouveia

Jan 2, 2020
How do I determine wether or not the cdi and magneto are miss matched? The clutch engages and disengages so I don't think its that. When I'm on it and I get up to speed and I engage the clutch I can hear the piston moving up and down but that's it and it's happening very slowly, also it just doesn't really feel like there is too much compression in there. Is there a possibility that the engine is flooded? Sorry for the late response and thank you for the reply.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Take the spark plug out and connect the CDI to it, lay it on the head so you can see it, now walk the bike with the clutch out. As the engine turns over you should see fire. If the plug is wet when you take it out it is flooded and could have fouled the plug, you can clean or blow the plug out with air to clear it. Don't over choke it, that's the major cause of flooding.

Reactions: indian22

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If the engine is running but has low power?, I would first make sure that you are mixing your gas & oil correctly.

Don't use the 16:1 that the instructions say! Start out with 32:1 (4 oz oil in 1 gallon of gas).

The next thing a lot of newbies do is they have the choke on. Make sure the choke lever is all the way down when riding.

One last thing... Make sure the engine RPMs are high when trying to climb any hill. (These engines have very low power at low RPMs)

Reactions: indian22 and Greg58

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I forgot to mention to check for head gasket leaks, look for oil residue where the head meets the cylinder. If you have any you can true the head on sandpaper tapped to a piece of glass, I tried every head or at least do this to check for flatness.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I haven’t used either magneto coil or cdi you have so I don’t know the values each should have when checking them for resistance, I have found that a variety of components are out there, even from the same distributor.

Zachary Gouveia

Jan 2, 2020
So I got this epa approved flying horse motor from bike berry and they repeatedly say that I can only use ams oil at a ratio of 100 to 1

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
That sounds like a vacuum leak, check the carb to intake for a leak. If you have to run with the choke on you're drawing air somewhere.