my henderson tribute

GoldenMotor.com

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Since I got the cottered cranks, I won't need the black sprocket above any more. But I'm going to half to toy with the placement of the sprocket that is pre attached to the crank spindle for chain alignement.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Started ripping into the old chinagirl engine today, still planning on using the manual clutch off it so I can bump-start the henderson. Although, I can't get the.crank case appart partly because the screws are kind.of stripped, and they must be lock tighted in or something because they are in there!

I'm going to machine an adapter in machine shop that will fit over the old armature output shaft, so I can fit a #35 chain sprocket over it. Then I'll put another solid sprocket over the output shaft of the tecumseh, and just run the chinagirl as a transmission. The stock chain is identical to the moped chain that my rear sprocket is designed for, so It'll be pretty slick (that is, if it works..)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I think you were going to try to get into a crankcase of a scrapped China Girl Engine. You mentioned that you think they used Loc-tite or something and there are stripped threads.

I suppose if you can get the parts of the clutch and some parts for transmission it sounds like you want from it, and can do this without getting those stripped crankcase screws out of the China Girl Engine, then I guess it does not matter anyway.

If you do though need to get them out and they just spin, I have not been in that situation. You said it is scrap for the engine of the China Girl I think, as far as the crankcase goes. If it is OK to just drill the threads and screws out all together as you not going to re-assemble it anyway, but it gets you inside the crankcase if necessary, then that could be a way to go.

Easy-outs and Super-outs are good for mashed Philips head screws and Bolt-out good for mashed hex-heads, but that is if the threads are still good, which I think you said there not.

I just thought if you really wanted to redo the crankcase screws you might try this if there is enough clearance. You drill out the threads and using a Helicoil and an over-size bolt make new threads.

If you have to remove the bolts and you get pictures of the beast, maybe I can see what else could work.

Bump-start, is that when you put in neutral or hold in the clutch and roll the bike and then with enough speed let out the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear to start the engine?

I’m not too familiar with the transmission, but does it have multiple gears, because that would be nice.

Keep at it!

MT

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Thanks MT, I wish it had gears but it's just going to be a single speed. I'm going to use the whole old china girl crank case as a transmission housing, because of how easy tomount it is in the frame. Why I'm trying to take it a part, is so I can hob the connecting rod out of it. I'm going to leave the crank shaft in there, acting as a spindle. I'll work in it today in small gas engines and I will report back here, or to the 2stroke repair section if I get stuck.

Cheers, ccd

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
No new pics, but me, choppercrazy (a.k.a warren) and my friend steven finally managed to get the bolts out. But we're going to half to make a tool that goes over the three little studs in the clutch shaft? Thing? Eh, it'll just be a bit of work on the drill press tomorrow.

My friend sheldon is suddenly incredibly interested in motorized bicycles, and robbed the 250cc rotax off his old skidoo, and it's got a nice big torque converter on it. so, we'll probably see a few pictures of his escapades making their way onto here. I know warren is making a motorized stretch with a big old wisconsin, also so there are alot of motorized idea's in the metal shop this year.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
If you have information and the time on what was used to remove stuck bolts, I'd be interested in that.

I finished redoing a pulley on my rear wheel drive that I cracked when I started using a regular vee-belt and was popping it onto the pulley. Prior the belt I used was an adjustable link type belt that you can add an remove links. That belt stretched a bit. The regular vee-belt did not and a pulley failed.

I found second brand that is also adjustable link type belt that does not stretch like the first one I got. I may use it for one of the belts, but just like a regular vee-belt I will make sure to have a lot of slack when popping the belt onto the pulley.

I have a way for two of the three belts worked out as I see should work. The last of the three belts I want to make an idler pulley and was wondering what you know may be already manufactured?

If it has a spring or you use a lever and then tighten down bolts, either way would be OK for me.

I already have an extra 5/8 " shaft jackshaft and pillow bearings for it lying around. It may fit in the area with a little metal fabrication.

I heard that using two pillow bearings should always be the case. I just also wondered of any success with using the pulley off to one side of the two pillow bearings on brackets?

Does it cause really bad pressure on the bearings if you use it that way?

It may help me fit the idler pulley inside an already existing cover that goes over the clutch and a 10 inch spoked pulley, if I do not have to straddle the idler pulley's 2ea pillow bearings with the bracket in place for it.

Thanks

I know I think I saw an old job site type Wisconsin Engine that was 20hp in one cylinder. That should be a thumper. I be watching what your friend gets built.

MT

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
For the stuck bolts we just soaked them in pb blaster overnight and gave them a few choice whacks with the impact driver.

Not quite shure what your implying in the body of your post, MT? Its to late fo my mind to function properly.

And I'll see if warren would care to make a build thread for it. I know steven is strugeling to put together a pocket rocket he got for free, but its fighting like a cornered platypus.

Cheers, ccd

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Charley,
Your bike is really coming along. You've put a lot of thought, time and effort into it and it shows. I also think it's cool that your buddies are interested in motored bikes and that you're able to do some work at school, use skills you're learning there and have teachers you can tap in to for answering questions.

As a former teacher myself (a long time ago I was an English teacher and ran the Indian Education program for our local school district)... anyway, I would encourage you to learn everything you can, even things which right now seem like you'll never use. I remember some 50+ years ago sitting in a typing class at a military school and telling myself, "why do I need to learn how to type? I'll never use this for anything. What a waste!" And here I am typing on a computer keyboard 50 years later. Glad I know how to type! Learning new things is always good. Reading is really important and allows you to keep right on learning for as long as you live. What do we do on this forum? We read and we write, that's what we do. An in the process, we learn. You learn from me and I learn from you. Pretty cool.

Keep it up, Bud. You're doing very well.
SB

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Haha, thanks SB. I'm thinking the same thing with all of this standard and slope-intercept claptrap at school. I'll probably use it eventually but at the moment this information is being filed away behind my knowlege of the titantic :p

And for every one of my friends who cares about projects like this, there are about 6 antagonists who keep stealing parts, (someone robbed a whole top end rebuild kit from steven for his pocket rocket) throwing my engine in the scrap iron bin (has happened three times), and drawing unplesant doodles on the motor mount plate in sharpie marker. I almost decked a kid last week for grabbing the handlebars I had on it and jamming them up and down over and over. When he finally understood that I was getting quite angry, which he thought was very funny, there was metal dust pushing out from around the stem. But, mr.lindgren gave him two hours detension so it leveled out.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Hey, thanks kirk! That's a great picture, and I'll half to use it as a subject for some creative staring. I'm at a bit of a stand still though. Mr.lindgren doesn't have a big enough sheet of light gauge metal for the tank. We've got boatloads of I think, 16 gauge? Can't recall the exact gauge but it's what's recommended for using the oxy-acetylene. I'm staying after school today for a few hours to get some work done, hopefully without too many interruptions.

Cheers, ccd.

Ps, I'm posting from my science class again, haha.

tigmaster

Jul 17, 2011
ann arbor
Nice build!...Good vid too! keep up the fight! I wanted to tell Ya about Welding,and Weldors...Oxy/act welding will give You good hand/eye skill for later use in learning to T.I.G. weld!...I went to a Welding class in high school and I learned to run a bead across a plate to learn puddle control,no rod just the torch and the metal...For like the first six weeks! that and book learnin' with tests ,pop test quizies,over the shoulder,lets see what Your doing, lets bend Your weldment!..The Teacher was tuff but fair and gave everyone 100% and expected the same in return....But what I learned the in the two years(11th & 12th) in a three hour long/five days a week Welding class has taken Me from a Kid that wanted to build things,to an OLD Man that still wants to build things...And plus I've made a Good living as a Fabricator/Weldor.weld....Tigmaster....

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Haha, thanks tigmaster. I've got 6 of my required 9 oxy welds done. But I've still got like 20 some welds for wirefeed and then plasma (I've mastered that at home on my dad's machine) and oxy cutting.

You were lucky, a three hour shop class? We get a touch under an hour. They cut machine shop down to 1 hour, and completly bogged woodshop. So, mr. Robbinson quit. And they're threatining to cut off our super mileage class, and small gas engines to replace them with, computer orientated core classes that have more importance my dad blew a fifty amp fuse when he seen that. It really is sad how little most of the freshmen know.. litteraly, they took 8 days to just remove the cylinder head on a litte 3 hp briggs lawnmower. :-||

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Sad how things are going with the trades and trades training...but....
Look at it this way; guys like you who DO learn hands on skills will pretty much be able to write their own ticket...all these computer oriented guys who can't even change a hinge on a cupboard door will have to hire guys like you to do the simplest jobs.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Exactaly.

Well, today school was canceled due to a pretty bad ice storm, so no work could be done on the bike. To put how bad the ice is into perspective, when I had my ice cleats on my boots I could push my mom's volkswagen bug sideways with very little effort!