My first race bike build!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Ok.. I know which one that is... I'm kinda surprised that one doesn't fit but if the tunnel is too narrow you'll either have to cut out the bottom and make a wider tunnel or find a way to narrow the frame top tube. I'd say narrowing the top tube might be easier... like maybe cut out a section and weld in a narrower tube in it's place

deonsrace

Apr 1, 2014
Miramar
I'd hate to cut this tank and I don't want to. I'll put down some other to sit on to the frame that way the tank and have something to bite into when i bolt it down

deonsrace

Apr 1, 2014
Miramar
Just need to order a 415 sprocket for my jackshaft, and a throttle set up. And a paint job and ill be off to the race in 3 weeks.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I see your point about the frame modifying, I wouldn't mess with an aluminum frame either because they are also tempered for strength and heating them up to bend or weld would cause it to lose it's heat treatment making it very weak. from looking at the pic of the tank I saw the 2 holes in front, if it has the same 2 holes in back it could be as easy as using the U bolts, or maybe using an adapter plate to bolt to the tank and drilling 2 more holes in the plate for the U bolts.

Good job with the layback post, I took mine back off and welded in a gusset and it's a LOT firmer now, no flex.

Sounds like you're really close to finishing this one, just be sure to give it some test time before the race but you should be ok.

deonsrace

Apr 1, 2014
Miramar
Thanks. Yea has two holes in the back as well u bolt will be the way to go on this thing. This tank shocked me when i opened up the box 16inches long. Amazing least i will not worry about gas on this one

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Lol... at least you won't have to worry about running out of gas too soon... My sportster just has a 2 gallon tank on it so I got a real good idea on how big it really is

deonsrace

Apr 1, 2014
Miramar
Yea. Lol. Im try to see if i need a fuel pump. Im pecock is now on my left side of my new tank, and my carb is on the right and my pecock line is directly down not on a angle like my temp tank. Idk if fuel will get to my carb with this new tank.
And will a fuel pump give my carb too much fuel?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'd try gravity feed first, pumps are usually not needed unless the tank is below the carb or if the engine burns it faster than gravity feeding it can supply the fuel, pretty much as long as the petcock is above the carb you should be ok without a pump.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
This is my layback seat after I took it back apart and welded in a brace... I just kept it simple and braced it with a piece of angled mild steel.
I'll take a pic of how I redid my front engine mount if you want, I cut a slotted hole thru my frame and put a 1/8" thick 1" wide steel strap thru the slot and bolted the engine to the strap. I still need to weld it in place before I start riding it too much tho.