Motorized Bicycle Tach

GoldenMotor.com

Racing421

Dec 28, 2008
Franklin, TN
Hello everyone!
I am a newbie here and have learned a lot reading posts on this board. Special thanks to Fairracing and Biker Joe for getting me started. I just finished my first bike (OCC Chopper), and will be building two more in January.
Which brings me to my question: Has anyone attempted to wire a tach on these engines? Not sure if the ignition module is capable, but thought I'd ask.

Also, I'm considering using the blue engine wire as a power source for taillights, but I don't want to lose juice to my spark. Having a good hot spark is more important than draining it for lights.

Thoughts, anyone?

Racing421

Dec 28, 2008
Franklin, TN
Re: Tach

Thanks, Fair, you're the best. I have heard try the blue wire......don't really know how they're different, but they are. For a $25 tach it is worth the try. By the way (a little off topic) what kind of racing did you do? I have raced stock cars here in Tennessee for 10 years..............kind of retired now, but it was a blast!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO

The blue wire will give you a good 60v AC at idle, but the current it can deliver is so low it's not even worth it. Not to mention, you really need that for the spark :)

Overloading the white wire (more than 3w or so at 6v) will also kill the spark because the 2 coils share a common ground.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Motocross (Dirt bikes & Quads) Pony (we call Mighty Compacts) some desert racing, Done a few Ledgend (dwarf) Midget & Sprint. But my main focus has been IMCA modifed.

I am not retired...just need $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Going on year 2 without being behind the wheel.

Last edited: