motorized bicycle for transportation

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
yesturday it was around 35 degrees out and i rode my 70cc motorized bicycle to work which is just shy of 6 miles each way and i smiled all the way. i took it up to 32mph and it was very cold i ended up cruising thier around 25 mph so i didnt freeze to death. coming home the temps were in the low 40's and a real nice ride. the bicycle engine purred at 25mph and wanted me to give it more. it was very quite with the custom exhaust norm and bob made me untill i opened it up then it had a nice deep roar instead of sounding like my weedeater. the new springer front end i will tell you now is a great investment. it cost me around $50.00 total and the comfort of the ride is amazing. do many of you use your bike for transportation? i have a 2008 car and 2007 truck however i would rather ride the bike when i can. last year i went from filling the truck 3 times every 2 weeks to once ever 2 weeks when the weather was nice. you can buy alot of engines with gas savings alone or buy more toys lol. i always loved bicycles and motorcycles and these are the best of both worlds as far as i am concerned :ride2:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I will see what happens this spring with using the bike as a ride to work, it's 25 miles one way.

It will either kill it fast, or prove it out.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I haven't started my car in a month. I think I'm going to sell it next month when the inspection is due. It's really junk but somebody can use it better than the junkyard so I'll price it cheap and put it in the yard.

The bike was a great investment for me. I'm looking forward to the new one with the weed eater engine as a back up. Then I might build a china girl to see if I can sell it from my yard.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
thats a long haul to work. sure would save a lot of money every week though.
In a week-

If it ride the motorized bicycle I'd spend five bucks.
If I ride my scooter I'd spend nine.
If I ride the big bike I would spend fifteen.

If I drive the Ranger, I spend about thirty.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I only live about 8 blocks from my shop. So it would take a couple of years of riding the motorized bicycle everyday to pay for itself. So I need to move farther away from job if I really want to save money..............rotflrotflrotfl

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
actually bob gas used in a trip that small in a car they say you get 1/3 to 1/4 the gas milage you would on a regular drive. i just love to ride so any excuse i can get i use it lol. rode to work this morning and it was 33 degrees. however i just took a break and went to the store and its up 44 which is good with all the cloths i wear. should be a nice ride home also (^)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
something else i noticed today is that the springer front end absorbs alot of the vibration which also makes the ride alot nicer

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
It's gorgeous here today. In the 70's I'd like to holler and Norman and go terrorize the town. But alas, I'm remodeling the kitchen for the wife so I better work instead. You know they get cranky when you got the dishwasher and and water all disconnected. Ah the hardware store is open now. I better get back to work...............................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
We are in the middle of the spring monsoon season here and I ran out of chores I am willing to do yesterday. I am going to get a motor tomorrow somewhere and begin building a bike or buy an assault rifle and go hunting for demons.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I ride 44 miles round trip everyday to work. When gas was $3.05 (it's almost $4.00 now) I would spend about six bucks a month for my MB. And that also includes riding for fun. In my truck, just to go to work and no where else, around $90.00 a month.
I spend more on fuel for my truck in one month, then I spend a year riding my MB to work. I save around $1000.00 a year, That is HUGE saving's.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It took me till i could finally ride about everyday for a week before I was comfortable in traffice on busy small roads. Okay im still not comfortable but I'm not terrified either lol.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am lucky. they built a nice bike path that goes from my neighborhood all the way to the airport i work at 2 years ago. the bike path is on a 55 mph road and the nice part is they put a blank lane next to the car lane and then the bike path so you have an extra safety zone. :ride2:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
That is ideal/// I'm not allowed on bike/walking trials and my town isn't advanced enough yet to build bike/motor bike lanes yet.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am not sure if i am allowed but i am using it. the path is actually part of the road and not seperate. they just made the road considerbly wider and added the no lane and the bike lane. i have had enough police drive by me and not even look or when they do they wave :D. i get pulled over i ussually give my department of transportation id to them along with my drivers license. they are less likely to confront me if not positive on the laws that way.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well on the scenic bike./walk trail here they have a big big sign no motorized vehicles. I'm not sure I can talk my way out of that with a motorized bike. I have used the electro's on it without too much fear. It's the putt putt sound that I think would get me. And of course the 20 mph scaring the lil ole ladies

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have a one way distance of 22.4 miles...I was wondering about the viability of riding that every day on a MAB.

I have taken several rides of that mileage, just not day in and day out.

I've been doing it (in the good weather) on a 50cc Yamaha scooter for 3000+ miles.