Motor sprocket change

GoldenMotor.com

georgeknight

Sep 26, 2008
Lebanon, Mo.
I have a stock sprocket set up on my bike, 10 on front 44 on rear. My bike will top out at 30mph. It will run all day at 25mph. What I would like to know is what sprocket combo would I need to cruise at 30mph. I would like to change the front to a 11 tooth, but I'm not sure how that would work. Any suggestions?

^5

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Don't touch the sprocket on the motor. Change the sprocket on the wheel. There isn't clearance for a larger sprocket on the motor and you would probably have great difficulty finding one anyways. The sprocket on the wheel however is cake. Just look to the left here. Andy makes some really nice ones.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
kings sales and service makes a quality light alumanum sprocket. ive got a 20" rear wheel and a 27t that cruises at 35. and ive herd around here that on a 26" wheel a 36 is the way to go with out giving up to much low end

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
cruise 30 all day , top speed has been about 37-38 mph. depends which way the wind is blowing and if on flat ground or down hill.

Home-made J

Sep 16, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
I run a 34T from Andy's shop. For my town it works killer. I can do 30-35 mph at around 5000rpm on flat ground...cruising! If I want I can go full out 6500 rpm and hit 40mph no problem. Steep hills aren't an option, though, but I can still pedal assist up some medium grades. Also, you need to go a bit faster to start, and pedal into the engines comfort zone, or the clutch won't last too long. I'm a pretty big guy (6'4" 230lbs) and the 34T is a fun one.

Dominate.

Sep 30, 2008
Hey I have a 22" rear wheel with a stock 44T sprocket I haven't installed yet. Just wondering what size sprocket I should go with to get the best top speed. I really don't mind having to pedal up to that point, just as long as I get to cruise at a high speed. Thanks

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI Dominate,

FWIW - I have sold a lot of 27T sprockets to people running a 20" wheel....Since you mentioned you have a 22" :confused: wheel the equivalent would be a 29T in your case...

Overall, this would be the same as a 26" wheel running a 34T sprocket.

Hope this helps you

Andrew

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

I forgot to mention....since you were looking at maximum top speeds....there will eventually be a point of diminishing returns as you go to a smaller and smaller rear sprocket (eventually hills and aerodynamic drag) won't allow you to operate the bike in a reasonable manner....We can go as low as 18T (From 18T to about 26T it will require a disc hub mount)...
THAT should allow for some insane speed runs on level to slightly down hills!!

The smallest sprocket I have sold so far for the motorized bikes is a 27T for use on a 20" wheel....Maybe you'll be the first to go smaller?

Andrew

Dominate.

Sep 30, 2008
HI Dominate,

FWIW - I have sold a lot of 27T sprockets to people running a 20" wheel....Since you mentioned you have a 22" :confused: wheel the equivalent would be a 29T in your case...

Andrew
Is there something wrong with a 22" measurement? Maybe I measured my wheel wrong..is there a specific way to do it or just from 1 edge of the wheel to the other? Either way I think I'll go with the 29T sprocket.

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
im not sure how you guys are getting such good results with the 36T. i have 2 of them that i replaced with 27t sprockets from andy. the 27t allows me to cruise at a non-meditative speed and not scream the engine. as for using a 40, 44 and on up tooth, i would have given up riding if i had to deal with that sort of vibration generating slug. hard on guitar playnig tendons. i would use the 44 and up on a motorized wheel barrow.

Dominate.

Sep 30, 2008
really, is 22 a weird measurement? I'm not sure if I measured correctly. Is there a proper way to measure the wheel? Because I just went from 1 side to the other o_O Please help Maybe I have 20" wheel