MoPOD Mk. III, 66CC

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Paintin' started by A_DangerrX, Mar 11, 2010.

1. A_DangerrX

A_DangerrX New Member

This is my newest (4th) build, and the third in the MoPOD Riding Apparatus series (Motor and Pedal Operated Drive). This also marks the first time I've tried my hand at brazing. That experiment went well; the new seat position is the result (the new piece of tubing came from the leg of a broken futon). Seat is from an old Western Flyer, reupholstered with memory-foam padding added. Gas tank is from an old Targa moped. Bike was a Realm Cycles "Plateau 1.0" from a clearance sale at Dick's, with the front fork and handlebars swapped out for a cooler set from an old mountain bike I had lying around. The vinyl faux-leather and stitching on the front fork pads is my work, with the color matching the seat. Paint job is slightly different now, and I did a little more custom work, so when the weather turns nice again I'll photograph the new stuff.
    Also, my thanks to everybody who helped solve the ignition problem plaguing this machine! That's fixed, though there seems to be an air leak somewhere now.

Attached Files:

2. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

looks pretty mean. i like the cruiser/mountain hybrid look you got going.

3. robin

robin Member

Wow ! how many gallons in that tank 3 ?

4. A_DangerrX

A_DangerrX New Member

2 and change, I think.

5. Ulysys

Ulysys New Member

Wow, I love that. I think it only needs one thing: a shift kit :).

6. A_DangerrX

A_DangerrX New Member

I've been looking at those, actually. I just don't want to go buy one before the bike is entirely functional.

7. OrangeBrian

OrangeBrian New Member

dang it looks like a real motcycle well the last pick dose but the rear gear throws it off tho

8. A_DangerrX

A_DangerrX New Member

Two pics showing the finished headlight and (slightly) different paint scheme.

Attached Files:

9. beerbattered

beerbattered New Member

What is the term for that kind of fork? I have tried to search for the forks with the mc style triple clamps but can't find them.

10. halfevil333

halfevil333 New Member

did you buy or mod the gear case? i really like the window!

11. A_DangerrX

A_DangerrX New Member

Thanks! I like the windows too. There are actually three, though you can only see two in the pictures. The biggest is over the flywheel, but there's a little one to the right of it, and on the other side there's one over the magneto.
    I modded the case. All it took was some careful measuring, a drill, some plexiglass, and some JB Weld. The window over the flywheel was a little trickier because it only clears the case cover by 1/16th" or so. For that one, I used a PVC endcap with the piece of plexiglass cut to fit inside and then carefully JB Welded the thing to the outside of the cover. After that I hosed the covers with brass-colored metal-flake Rustoleum, which holds up really well once it's fully cured. The whole assembly has actually held up surprisingly well.

#11 A_DangerrX, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  12. nidyanazo

nidyanazo New Member

Very interesting look you produced! Cheers