Mixing fuel/oil

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There was, it's jus' a temp ban & they're free to return should they wish when it's over... shall we talk about teh greasy goodnesses now? ;)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
i have the one and only prototype of the acme powerband stretcher. i could loan it out to some of you guys. it can take the blue powerband and stretch it out to the size of the red one that came in the russian race engines.

i see butterbean found the delete button.
So does that mean I'd then have a 'purple' band? :)
Tom

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i remember when i was active on the srt forums there was a guy who posted a pic of his engine with a hole driled in his valve cover and a nitrous nozzel inserted into it.
he was complaining of it blowing off his pcv hose ever time he hit the juice.
he said i know i have it hooked up right because the nitrous is spraying onto the intake cam. there was about 30 pages of flame directed at that guy.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
i remember when i was active on the srt forums there was a guy who posted a pic of his engine with a hole driled in his valve cover and a nitrous nozzel inserted into it.
he was complaining of it blowing off his pcv hose ever time he hit the juice.
he said i know i have it hooked up right because the nitrous is spraying onto the intake cam. there was about 30 pages of flame directed at that guy.
That reminds me of the 'fix' for the old 'Y' block Fords when the oil passages to the rocker arms would plug up. You ran 1/4" copper tubing from the oil pressure port to the valve covers..LOL, there were a lot of those old 'Y' blocks with copper tubing curled and bent all over the engine by amateur mechanics. Man, were they ugly :(
Tom

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I dont know everything there is to know about mechanics. obviously, some engines can run for a long time on a higher than recommended ratio. I still see nothing wrong with running at the recommended ratio. I did not appreciate being made fun of. And yes, I caught every comment that was poking fun at me. I wasn't very mature in the way I handled it, but I refuse to apologize, because the people making fun of me weren't being very mature either. I will stand up for myself any time that I am being disrespected.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Like I said, I may not know everything there is to know about mechanics. I trust my dad, because he has rebuilt more than one car. he used to have two cars that all the parts were interchangeable, but both were broke down. He figured out which parts were good and salvaged enough parts to get one car running. He is very smart and very knowledgeable about mechanics. Please dont make fun of my dad, because I wouldn't make fun of yours. I dont understand why you all felt the need to be so disrespectful to me, but there was no need for it. we didnt agree, and you could have left it at that, as i was willing to do before you all became so disrespectful to me.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I called my dad and I asked him, what if the bottle recommends a different ratio than your engine manual? he said it is better to stick by your manual. people say that they use different oil in china and thats why these manuals recommend a lower ratio. well ok. it sounds like it makes sense. people say things all the time on the internet that are not true, either because they want to screw with people or because they themselves have been misinformed. can you show me some proof of the fact that they use different oil in china? also, we use synthetic oil. I have been told by another mechanically experienced person who rebuilds cars that conventional oil lubricates better. If that is true, then synthetic oil should be run at a lower ratio than conventional oil and not the other way around as may people on this forum have described. that information could be wrong. maybe it depends on the oil. maybe it depends on the engine. maybe both. at this point, I am not sure what is right anymore. I am still going to stick to my original plan of following the manual. we are all just gonna have to disagree as adults.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
welcome back butter, sorry you got flamed but sometimes the sharks just smell the blood in the water. looks like you may still be bleeding a little but i'm going to swim the other way.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
well camlifter, considering you were one of the ones who flamed me, you'll excuse me if I take your apology with a grain of salt. I have admitted that I dont know the right answer here. But because I dont know the right answer, Im gonna go with what I believe to be the best one. I think that my questions and opinions could be valid ones and I dont think i have said anything stupid. no one so far has any outright proof to dispute my opinion. just because a couple of guys have said that their engines have run on higher ratios doesnt mean squat to me. this is the internet and people can say anything. it doesnt mean i have to believe it. if there is some absolute proof out there to dispute my opinion and unequivocally show that it is wrong, then I will go another way. but as for now, I am running roughly 24:1 in my engine and will continue to do so.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Anyone else who says anything disrespectful about me or my dad, I will simply ignore them. not gonna get into a measuring contest here. not gonna have a repeat of what happened last week either. this has nothing to do with not agreeing. we can disagree as adults and I have no problem with that. when a disagreement becomes childish, it is no longer worth my time. so start flaming me, and you will simply be ignored. that pretty much makes flaming me a waste of your time.

mobike91

Sep 14, 2010
lebanon, oregon
i find when i just anything more than 40:1 it spits oil everywhere and fouls a plug in a week. try this stuff just for fun if you can get it

trufuel40.com i found it in walmart. its 93 octane at 40.1 mix. im running it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I am using lucas semi synthetic 2 cycle oil for air cooled engines. the small bottles are pre-measured for a 50:1 ratio. However, the pint bottles give different amounts for different ratios. I am currently running 24:1 in my brand new engine.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I read the article you posted, nougat, and I think i have a somewhat better understanding. Some oils are what the article referred to as one mix, meaning no matter what machine you are using, the oil will provide the same lubricity at one ratio. however, not all oils are one mix, and different engines may still require different mix ratios.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I was thinking more about what some people have said. There is a widely believed theory that some of the manuals for the chinese engines recommend lower ratios because they use different oils in china and russia. I see a couple problems with that theory. Number one, does anyone have any actual proof that the oils used in other countries are actually of lower quality? At least one person has actually suggested that they use 4 cycle oil instead of 2 cycle oil. this may be true, but an 2 cycle engine would not last very long at all running on 4 cycle oil.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Also, this theory assumes several things. It assumes that synthetic oils may not be available in those countries. That may have been true 20 years ago or more, but I seriously doubt that it is true now. The theory also assumes that the authors of these manuals do not know what synthetic oil is. My manual actually recommends synthetic oil, but does not recommend a different ratio for it. the manual says the same ratio whether synthetic or conventional oil is used. can anyone tell me why that is?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
in my last engine, I ran a ratio of 32:1. That engine lasted me over a year. It broke down because I was using the wrong oil, but it still lasted a good while and had at least several thousand miles on it, possibly as many as 10,000. I rode that bike a lot. in my new engine, I am running 24:1 using lucas semi-synthetic 2 cycle oil for air cooled engines.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Also, I doubt your engine "broke down" because you used 32:1, it was more likely to have been because the fuel to air ratio was wrong (too lean).