Merkel Motor Wheel?

GoldenMotor.com

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
I've always been facinated by Joe Merkel's Motor wheel design. I've studied the patents, but it's still difficult to udnerstand how a hub based engine works with a coaster wheel. I found this restoration build, but still no dice. Anyone have an idea? I'd love to give this a try with a more modern engine.

http://motorenowacja.pl/merkel_motor_wheel/pl

Reactions: indian22

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Cool old bike! Thanks for sharing!

But doing direct drive like that would be a tough nut to crack without a lot of serious design & machining a new rear hub...
Further complicated that with the long stroke of that old motor it probably has 1/2 the RPM's of a modern one. I just don't see how it could be done without some additional gear reduction somewhere in the drive train.

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
Cool old bike! Thanks for sharing!

But doing direct drive like that would be a tough nut to crack without a lot of serious design & machining a new rear hub...
Further complicated that with the long stroke of that old motor it probably has 1/2 the RPM's of a modern one. I just don't see how it could be done without some additional gear reduction somewhere in the drive train.
You're probably right. I drew up an idea that might work. It's not perfect, but might work. If using a counter clockwise engine, you could mount it to the fender similar to merkels design then build a jack shaft which would attach to the mounting plate under the engine which would then run a chain to the wheel. You could use a centrifugal clutch in order to keep the freewheel function. It's not a complete hub engine, but close.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
That could work.

I'm not sure but I think the little Chinese kit 2 strokes engines can be made to run backwards:confused: and they have a cable activated clutch built into their case. Then a fake downward extension of the case could hide the jackshaft & gear reduction...

Or you could just mount to the right side? Not many would know the difference...

RocketJ

Jun 20, 2018
That could work.

I'm not sure but I think the little Chinese kit 2 strokes engines can be made to run backwards:confused: and they have a cable activated clutch built into their case. Then a fake downward extension of the case could hide the jackshaft & gear reduction...

Or you could just mount to the right side? Not many would know the difference...
That could work.

The only feature i like about the china kit is the built in 3d clutch. I wouldn't trust it in reliability for this kind of project though. I've considered putting the engine on the right hand side, but how would you reverse the rotation then? I guess through some sort of jack shaft conversion?

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
I prefer large & vintage 4 strokes myself! LOL!

I only mentioned the China kit engine because it can be made to run backwards and is narrow.

With the engine on the right side you could put a centrifugal clutch on the engine shaft and chain to free-wheel cluster on the rear wheel hub (albeit a bit wide). Perhaps the cluster could be adapted to carry a heavier sprocket (like 40 chain?) but still leave a bicycle sized sprocket for the pedal drive. The pedal chainring may also need to be free wheeling ( ?)...

Reactions: indian22