Manic Mechanic sprocket mods?

GoldenMotor.com

AmericanCthulhu

Apr 3, 2011
SW Missouri
Hey guys.

Just got my Manic Mechanic hub adapter and sprocket (piratecycles ). They are both amazing, fit like a glove, and are so well made they're almost a little sexy.

That being said, my sprocket's teeth are too big to fit the chain supplied with the kit. I'm planning on ordering a heavier chain, but is this something I need to file down (the teeth on the sprocket)? And if so, please explain the best way for me to to so.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Micargi Stealth

Jan 11, 2015
Knoxville, TN
There is only one real manucturer of the Manic Mechanic setup. All of the others are clones and will cause your 415 chain to bind on the rear sprocket. It is not pretty. I learned the hard and money spent way.

I recently ordered and received this item. I thought this was the real product but have been totally surprised, disappointed and my motorized bike can not be ridden again until I fix this new problem.

I only wanted to remove the original rear 9 bolt sprocket since it had a little wobble to it. It never threw the chain but it is winter and a good time to swap out upgrade parts. Problem is this. You advertise this as Manic Mechanic when I have found out this is actually a clone made in China. Installed this yesterday and it binds on my 415 chain when I rotate it. Then 55 minutes waiting for tech support friday. He suggested I file the sprocket teeth down to rid the binding. My brother suggested friday night I sand it some both sides of the teeth to rid the binding. I looked at it today and there are two places the teeth do not fully center the chain. So I have quit and this is on the bike now until I can get something else that will actually work as advertised.

I have now found the actual manufacturer of this product. It is USA made and will work. Called and talked with their support friday and they do not sell to Bikeberry, to Pirate Cycles, or Custom Motored Bicycles. My Bikeberry ordered standard large adapter is stamped CB-110 as the real part number but is a fake. The 44 tooth sprocket is also a fake clone that is brand new and does not even work properly with the 415 chain. All of the other companies selling this setup are fake clones of the real Manic Mechanic manufacturer.

I can not believe that I have to start all over again. I will have to order this entire assembly again from the real manufacturer of the original product. The adapter and a correct rear sprocket. As soon as I get the 2nd time parts I will remove yours from the bike and throw them in the trash. They are still on the bike now. You have been paid for your parts so there is no loss to your company. The loss is only mine and it hurts me since I am unemployed right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Micargi-
Manic Mechanic can sell you just a sprocket. I bet the holes will line up.
I think I got the real McCoy when I bought mine. The sprocket is an aluminum 40 tooth with no extra holes. No chain problems, the kit chain (DAX) works fine.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
AmericanCthulhu: you want to contact the person who sold you the sprocket and ask them what size chain it is meant for, then get that chain. It will be a little bit of a hassle but worth it in the end. you can only increase the strength of the setup by using heavier chain.

Micargi Stealth: That is awful, I am sorry you have had such a bad experience. I would hope the seller you got the kit from would be willing to replace defective parts. Chances are though that the clam-shell parts are not fakes just that the sprocket was improperly machined. CNC aluminum parts are fairly simple to produce in large batches and often are sold middleman to middleman before they end up in the consumers hands. A seller that got his hands on a box of clam-shells might turn to a cheap place to acquire sprockets in order to sell complete kits.
Basically you might only be out a sprocket, not the whole kit.

Micargi Stealth

Jan 11, 2015
Knoxville, TN
I mainly posted my message to warn others that there are clones of the original product out there. Three to be specific that I know of. Theirs install great, look good but the 415 chain binds on the rear sprocket when you rotate the rear tire. I will not even try to ride my bike this way since it will most likely destroy the transmission. I have a 415 chain with around 500 miles on it. The chain is not worn out yet and worked fine with the original kit stamped 9-bolt 44 tooth sprocket.