Magneto white wire

GoldenMotor.com

Bob E.

Jul 24, 2018
MI
I need lights to be legal. So, I'm in the planning stage of my electrical system.
The instruction manual says measured resistance between the black and white wire should be 2.3 ohms. Mine reads 333 ohms. Same as blue to black. blue to white and black to engine are both 0.8 ohms. I'm assuming I've been screwed out of my 6v charging circuit?

Bob E.

Jul 24, 2018
MI
IMG_2048.JPG
The white and blue wire run to the same lug and the black wire goes to the other lug which is grounded. I tried lift the ground hoping I might get that 2.3 ohm reading, but without being grounded it was just open.
I see this mag on ebay with the blue and white wire running to separate lugs has an extra solder joint between the coil and core.
Untitled.jpg
Looks like I'm buying a new one.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
your info is for the older three wire mags that never worked properly for lighting

newer mags only have the white wire as a spare in case the blue wire fails

best way for lights is to get a whole system that runs all lights off of a rechargeable battery that you can plug in at home - usually under $40 with a real headlight instead of just the 'safety' light used on bicycles

Bob E.

Jul 24, 2018
MI
That's basically what I want to do, but 99% of the time I'll only be using a brake light. I was hoping the magneto could maintain the battery so I wouldn't need to stick it on a charger too often.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not worth the effort - a good system usually lasts 8 hours between charges for all the light you'll need

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
haven't looked in a while, but cree used to make some up around 1800 lumens - some sets also had turn signals & brake lights

Bob E.

Jul 24, 2018
MI
Great, just got my new magneto. Described as 6v, and pictured as a true 3 wire, but it's the same exact friggin' thing that came on my engine!

Does anybody still sell the 6v magneto coils? I already bought all my 6v electrical components at the same time I got the engine kit.
I sure don't want to give that one guy on ebay $30 for the 6v add on coil, which as I understand is powerful enough to require a voltage regulator, Which he also sells for another $30...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if you would just look around the forums a bit, you'd see that years ago when mags had old style three wire windings, everyone had problems with them - usually ignition failures

new mags have a white wire as a spare only because folks thought they were getting a stripped down model when two wire mags became the standard

sorry, but you bought all that 6v stuff before you did the required reading

Bob E.

Jul 24, 2018
MI
And based on some reviews I'm reading on popular vendor websites the ebay guys aren't the only ones who like to play bait and switch with pictures and descriptions...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sellers have been doing that so long that it really isn't an issue these days - more of a commonality

everyone has to read and ask questions first - I rarely buy anything without questioning the seller by email first, and also checking both of the main forums

Bob E.

Jul 24, 2018
MI
So, where can I buy one that actually has the 6v charging coil and not just a dummy wire?

Bob E.

Jul 24, 2018
MI
Doesn't look like he sells the factory ignition coil/6 volt stator?
I have a headlight, tail light, brake light, horn, and a battery. except the brake light it's all for show, to meet moped requirements in order to be street legal. All I want is the stator Everything I've read says these engines are supposed to come with and most online vendors seem to be lying about selling.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
motors used to come with that, but it was because the mag was built for a moped with different ignition system - that mag never made lights work on these motors without killing the ignition

read threads from 5 or more years ago when folks still tried to make it work

if you find a seller that still has that old mag, you will fail like they did

Bob E.

Jul 24, 2018
MI
Seems like some say it works, others say it don't, and it seems to me the ones who can correctly identify the attached picture are the ones who say it works and the ones who can't say it don't... I can I.D. that picture so I'll keep looking for one.
Ohms-Law.png