Made my own studded snow tires

GoldenMotor.com

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
I wish i could say it was my own idea, but plenty of others have done this.
I got the deepest-tread knobby tires i could find (pyramid $30/pr), and got a bunch of #8 X 1/2" lath screws with super-large flat heads for $5 .

drilled (using a very small bit) down from the center of chosen knob into the tire. drilled screw up from inside-out. if your angle isnt pretty correct, it'll stick out one side or the other.

be prepared to have plenty of time to do this...its tedious and time-consuming.
dont try drilling all the holes, then installing screws...you'll drive yourself bat-s**t, trying to find which knob you drilled.

i thought about the side-to-side play, and the screws wanting to push back into tire.
thats why i opted for the lath screws....really flat and alot of surface area.

with two tire liners taped side-to-side, getting the tires mounted on the rims was a nightmare. ive never actually wrestled a rabid porcupine, but i think i know what it feels like.

rode today, and THESE. KICK. BUTT-CHEEKS!!!

our driveway is pretty long, up to the pavement. packed with snow/ice, and they performed very well. i went off a little into some deeper powder, and the rear did slip sideways just a little bit under power.

going to have to swap out my 36tooth for a 44.

i havent ridden on dry pavement yet, because i'm scared.

Attachments

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
thanks, all.

as far as them pushing back into tire, i think with thorn-resistant tubes along with the mr tuffys should do the trick.

rear tire wasnt seating well with two tire liners side-by-side, so i'm going to go down to a single.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Nice setup there man!I have always rode in the snow no matter what type of condition it is,last year i rode a 5 mile local paved trail at 2:30 in the morning in the ice storm Illinois was having then,don't get me wrong but I loved riding down that trail with nothing but slick slick ice an hard snow blowing in my face!!Now that i have a motor on the bike,I'll defiantly be making some studded tires for this winter..Crazy me!