Made my own studded snow tires

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Spunout, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Spunout

Spunout MB Builder Extraordinaire

I wish i could say it was my own idea, but plenty of others have done this.
    I got the deepest-tread knobby tires i could find (pyramid $30/pr), and got a bunch of #8 X 1/2" lath screws with super-large flat heads for $5 .

drilled (using a very small bit) down from the center of chosen knob into the tire. drilled screw up from inside-out. if your angle isnt pretty correct, it'll stick out one side or the other.

be prepared to have plenty of time to do this...its tedious and time-consuming.
    dont try drilling all the holes, then installing screws...you'll drive yourself bat-s**t, trying to find which knob you drilled.

i thought about the side-to-side play, and the screws wanting to push back into tire.
    thats why i opted for the lath screws....really flat and alot of surface area.

with two tire liners taped side-to-side, getting the tires mounted on the rims was a nightmare. ive never actually wrestled a rabid porcupine, but i think i know what it feels like.

rode today, and THESE. KICK. BUTT-CHEEKS!!!

our driveway is pretty long, up to the pavement. packed with snow/ice, and they performed very well. i went off a little into some deeper powder, and the rear did slip sideways just a little bit under power.

going to have to swap out my 36tooth for a 44.

i havent ridden on dry pavement yet, because i'm scared.

Attached Files:

2. MB-Monkey

MB-Monkey New Member

Nice looking setup you could use some rubber glue on them when you put them in might keep them from popping back thru

3. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

You are one sick man spun, I like that quality in a person.

4. TexasDav

TexasDav New Member

Thats overcoming. Great looking job.

5. Pablo

Pablo Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor

Wow - I could use that idea!

6. spad4me

spad4me New Member

Darn! You are dangerous.
    po boy ice racer.

7. old motorbike

old motorbike New Member

Nice bit of creativity. Well done!

8. Spunout

Spunout MB Builder Extraordinaire

thanks, all.

as far as them pushing back into tire, i think with thorn-resistant tubes along with the mr tuffys should do the trick.

rear tire wasnt seating well with two tire liners side-by-side, so i'm going to go down to a single.

9. AaronF

AaronF New Member

Nice setup there man!I have always rode in the snow no matter what type of condition it is,last year i rode a 5 mile local paved trail at 2:30 in the morning in the ice storm Illinois was having then,don't get me wrong but I loved riding down that trail with nothing but slick slick ice an hard snow blowing in my face!!Now that i have a motor on the bike,I'll defiantly be making some studded tires for this winter..Crazy me!

10. BarelyAWake

BarelyAWake New Member

Great thread Spunout! How did they hold up to use? Any probs?