Lurker's new project

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the input guys, I was leaning toward the blue I just wanted to see what you all thought.

dracothered, I thought about red, but my v-twin is and nice blood red and I didn't want to have two red bikes.

truckd, there were a few bikes that used this style of fork. Cleveland, Triumph, and I think even BSA. It was very popular with the "light weight" style of bike, which is the reason I chose to use it. I considered building my own fork but I really want to finish this bike as quickly as possible.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
This is the only bike of old I've ever seen with the springer forks like you've chosen, can't seem to make out the brand of the bike though,looks like a Cleveland? notice the forks look like Schwinn
It is a Cleveland...

Notice there is a cross brace between the main fork tube and the brace tube. This makes me want to make sure I beef up my forks which are not original, but only repops.

Attachments

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
That Yale is a nice looking bike. Seeing it next to mine makes me feel better about my work. After spending so much time looking at mine and second guessing it, its nice to put it next to the real deal and see that I'm still on track. I'm not saying mine is 100% accurate but aesthetically it is pretty close given the limitations I'm working with. Thanks for the pick me up MBR.

I will post some more progress pics later this week.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
progress, progress, progress, everything must progress. Ijust finessed testing the pedal start system I have devised and.... IT WORKS! I couldn't be happier with the results I can't wait to get the rest of the drive train sorted so I can finally get a test ride.

I also managed to install the internal throttle and reinforce the fork.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
progress, progress, progress, everything must progress. Ijust finessed testing the pedal start system I have devised and.... IT WORKS! I couldn't be happier with the results I can't wait to get the rest of the drive train sorted so I can finally get a test ride.

Did you cross brace the forks also so they have less lateral movement (To keep side force from twisting upon them)? The bracing you added looks good, how much did that stiffen them up in removing slop? Would love to see some close up pictures of the forks them self.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
dracothered, I basically built a U shape between the fork legs and trusses and welded the trusses to the leges, It removed bout 75% of the slop in the fork. The legs of the fork are now super solid but I'm still getting a lot of slop from the spring area. I'm going to continue to work with it to see if I can get it tightened up some more. I will post some more pics of the fork when I get a chance.

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany

...and you have lowered the seat! :) Looks good!

So many extremely ambitious guys around here...full of ideas...incredible...are we all driven by something?

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey! Lurker where are you? someone brought your thread and I got curios as to what yer up too these days, give us a sout out Dude!

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the concern truckd. I have spent the better part of this month in Japan, and I have also been commissioned by fellow forum member to build a fork. Needless to say I haven't had much time for my own projects, but I should have the fork done by this weekend, and able to resume work on my own projects as soon as my parts arrive from Pat at Sportsman Flyer.

The majority of the fabrication on my current build is 99% complete so the next stage will be paint, be sure to check that out because I will be doing some unique stuff with that to achieve the barn find look.

If anyone is interested in seeing some of the photos from my trip you can find the link here.

http://vekstjapan2013.tumblr.com/

fyi
(I'm the guy with blonde hair, black hoodie, and green coat)

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
If you are still in Japan you need to look a buddy of mine up and go by to see the bikes he builds, you can find him on Facebook Tokoma Wazakana, if not still in japan make friends anyway

tattoomark

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix AZ
That thing looks amazing! I love the look of the m2600 with a drop loop, that's the direction I went with my current build. And that motor looks so authentic! I'm sure a lot of people will be fooled by that patina. Please please post a video when its running and riding. Thank you for the inspiration!

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I should have seen that photo of the monkey as reference to me coming. haha very funny.

I just finished building a fork for a customer today so I though I should up load some photos for you guys to see. It is loosely based on a Thor btr. It is also almost identical to the fork on my old gx200 bike.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hey guys, sorry for my absence on the forum and lack of updates, but I have been very busy this past month or so.

Anyway, I finally finished fabrication on the bike, and everything is test fitted and ready for teardown. I have also started to paint the tank and front wheel as you can see from the photos, but they are far from finished so don’t be too quick to judge.

I also took some photos of the finished transmission system to give you all a better idea of how it looks and works.