Looking to buy a spring chain tensioner... need advice

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I've been looking at a lot of them online but most of them seem to get some bad reviews. Can anybody recommend a good one that will work well on a Cruizer frame? Thanks!

Reactions: fasteddy

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
In my opinion, all spring loaded tensioners are junk!!
When you let off the throttle, all the force is transferred to the lower part of the chain (pushing the tensioner down), & that lets the upper part of the chain flop around causing problems like bouncing off the side of the tire & skipping teeth inside the engine cover. :(

The best way is to shim the engine forward a little & eliminate the tensioner all together; or to mount the stock tensioner as firm as you can.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
If ya must use a chain tensioner Use the ARCH chain tensioner as it don't use a spring

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Ok. The problem I'm having is the tensioner over time has damaged the part of the frame it bolts to. Since I saw these chain tensioners mount onto the engine itself it seemed like a better design so I was looking into it. Got a link to the ARCH tensioner so I can check it out? Thanks!

Reactions: Testname111

Testname111

May 20, 2021
I like my heavy duty spring tenshoner as its not maid of plastic, and anything is possible if you believe good or bad!

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
In my opinion, all spring loaded tensioners are junk!!
When you let off the throttle, all the force is transferred to the lower part of the chain (pushing the tensioner down), & that lets the upper part of the chain flop around causing problems like bouncing off the side of the tire & skipping teeth inside the engine cover. :(

The best way is to shim the engine forward a little & eliminate the tensioner all together; or to mount the stock tensioner as firm as you can.
how much in degree's would you tilt your engine forward? and how do you shim it?