Latest Project

GoldenMotor.com

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Okay here is my current project I am working on. Waiting on the motor to arrive (70cc). This is a 1972 Scwhinn Varsity frame with Crossbow monark forks. Not sure if the 26x2.125 will allow for enough clearence (I have 26x1 3/8 on stand-by). I'm going to try and move the Hairpin seat back with a curved seatpost. Mock fitted an old engine to make sure it would fit. Any ideas about the direction of the tank? As it is now the fuel line will be about 2 inches long. Do you think it would look odd with the drop portion of the tank in the front?

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Sweet ride (^) I don't think the tear drop in the front would look bad. But then, I'm the kind of person who doesn't care about looks and more worried about function.

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Wow! Gotta love those tires,hope they work out.I have 2.125 tires.Might want to try installing rear sprocket dished side out,but you probably already know that.What is your tank made out of.Nice bike!Ron

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Wow! Gotta love those tires,hope they work out.I have 2.125 tires.Might want to try installing rear sprocket dished side out,but you probably already know that.What is your tank made out of.Nice bike!Ron
The tank is steel. It had some small indentations on the side but I filled them in with Bondo.

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
As it is now the fuel line will be about 2 inches long.
Wow Red that LOOKS like I want to steal it...but I'll wait till you finish it.rotfl
I had the same problem with the tank when I had one. I used just about the same frame and there was just hardly no room left. On that type of bike that your building to bad you couldnt get a line made in brass and have one loop put in it. THat way at least it would flex and keep with the look your going for, which is damn sharp looking.
Terry

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I vote that the tank is mounted correctly.

You beat me to the punch since I am building a Schwinn Collegiate with the same tank. I am going for the "old motorcycle" look. Very nice!!!!

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
That is one nice looking bike. I bet it will really look sweet with that bicycle motor on it. I'm going to try to finish my airplane saturday if the weather will cooperate. Then I'm going to start my new bike. You got me all inspired......................:D

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ok would you Please tell me where to get the basic bike just like that one 24" no motor,paint,ect. I will build it ground up. 80cc ape hangers ect. Want an Orange Krate
24" BUT they don't exist. Please

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Ok would you Please tell me where to get the basic bike just like that one 24" no motor,paint,ect. I will build it ground up. 80cc ape hangers ect. Want an Orange Krate

Well then as we all do here ...make your own 24 inch sting ray. Do a search on google for a bike called Alien Ray. The 24 inch frame use a 24 inch rear wheel get a 26 inch front springer and put a 20 inch front wheel and of course ape hangers banana seat and you'll be close. If that dont work find a fastback schwinn its a 20 ich stingray type that yu can stick a motor in I believe.
Terry

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
You just have to search and search. Don't settle with "Close". There are deals out there. I bought this frame for a dollar (25 priority shipping)Restored Schwinn Varsity Frame, Red, w/ Head Badge - eBay (item 260227516735 end time Apr-06-08 12:20:14 PDT)

thbailey69

Mar 11, 2008
Okay here is my current project I am working on. Waiting on the motor to arrive (70cc). This is a 1972 Scwhinn Varsity frame with Crossbow monark forks. Not sure if the 26x2.125 will allow for enough clearence (I have 26x1 3/8 on stand-by). I'm going to try and move the Hairpin seat back with a curved seatpost. Mock fitted an old engine to make sure it would fit. Any ideas about the direction of the tank? As it is now the fuel line will be about 2 inches long. Do you think it would look odd with the drop portion of the tank in the front?
where can i get a tank like that?

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
What kind of Rims/Tires are on your bike? I'm assuming you swapped out the original schwinn stuff. I'm trying to figure out what makes sense for the collegiate I'm working on.