Latest Build-Kulana Moon Dog

GoldenMotor.com

Butch K

May 9, 2008
Princeton, MN
This is my latest build. I ran into a few problems during assembly. Had to put a washer behind the motor sprocket to get it to line up with the rear sprocket. Plastic throttle housing broke before it was even tightened and the center hole of the pressure plate was quite a bit off center and was rubbing. I sent defective parts back to the motor kit supplier and am waiting for replacements. I had no issues with the bike itself other than having to true both wheels.

Attachments

KipBurbank

May 27, 2008
I went looking for a good donor bike. I left the Kuluna on the shelf, looked at some Schwinns (not the top quality bikes like in the 60's) and I came back to the Kuluna. I thought the build was easy with no modification except for a washer on the left side rear wheel to push out the frame about 1/4 inch to clear the chain better. Since then, my friend and I have bought 4 of these Kulunas specifically for the light frame, solid feel, white walls, excellent stopping power, stiff fenders. Assembled they look great and the ride is Smoooooth. For $99 at Wal-Mart, these are the deal of the century.

tecker

May 31, 2008
thats one of the bikes I was lookin at was it just me or did you feel like the handle bars were to close or knees hittting them

Gronkster

May 20, 2008
Built mine on the same bike and experienced the same with the engine and throttle. Had the chain rub on the tire so I reversed the sprocket with the cup counter out and got the clearence.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Good looking bike Butch. I notice you are running the fenders on your bike, you want to make sure to reinforce your mounting brackets with L brackets. Bad things tend to happen with the vibration of these things and cheap fenders...Kelly

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
I have a Blue Kulana - looks like maybe an older model (although I just purchased it 2 months ago). I thought the handlebars were too close as well (this is my first cruiser bike), and I just ordered the lay-back seat post from Spooky to let me move the seat back a few inches. For now, I just have the seat taller and that fixed the knee problem...

Sure wish this bike came with some suspension...I also bought the springer forks from Spooky, the 2-sided kickstand, and the bearing chain tensioner and upgraded clutch handle from Dax.

I never changed out forks, so should be fun for me. Anything I need to know about? :)

Thanks,
Mark

Gronkster

May 20, 2008
All the things you mentioned I'm experiencing with my moon dog. Another problem that I have is the seat post lock doesn't seem to hold the seat especially on the big bumps. I'm planing on building another one from a number of used bikes that will be my keeper.

tecker

May 31, 2008
just bought my moon dog from wally world I used to work with the guy and he said that bikes are getting ready to go up in price and where did you get your kit from ..i would like to have a black engine and tank to go with the orange I think it would stand out and look better I was going to go with bo go fast waiting on money to get to paypal later tecker

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
Hi Tecker,
I got my kit from BoyGoFast on eBay. Sweet deal and fast shipping!

You have to paint the motor yourself...they come in unfinished aluminum.
I want to paint mine, too....but everything's running so well that I don't want to take it all apart. I think I'll probably just paint the covers on the block/clutch, and the head.

My current project is making decent headlights...but waiting for my springers to show up!

Gronkster

May 20, 2008
Put the front brake and clutch lever on the same side. Cock each so they can be pull by themselves or two fingers on one lever and two on the other together with the thumb around the handle. I usually use the back break and then the clutch to slow and stop. This is a little better but sometimes I accidently rev the throttle. I'm starting my second bike and it is a 24" with a coaster brake. Still going to try and fit a front brake but it should be more like a motorcycle and easier to use.

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
I have it setup in this order on my left side: Hand grip, Brake flush against it, but lever higher up, then about a 2" gap, then the clutch, which is aligned with how my hand wants to squeeze it. I use 2 fingers on each, and very used to doing it this way after just a ride or two.

I'm not sure if I want to use the dual lever or not yet...because sometimes you don't want too much on the front or you'll go over the bars, and in an emergency situation, you might just pull too hard. Still working on that one...but I bought that stupid clutch/brake lever from Powerkings which I will not use because it's ratcheting on the clutch (because it was for gear shifting) and they said I can swap it. (They were very good on responding and offering my money back or a credit - my choice.)

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
Hey Butch, Sweet Bike!! I plan on getting a moon dog shortly and will be mounting a 70cc engine on it. Any chance of you taking detailed pictures and explain the trouble spots you were having? Did you have to drill at all? Did you have to make any mods to the bike or install kit?

Any information you can give me would be fantastic.

Thanks!

kcviper75

Jun 30, 2008
I already built my first bike 3 weeks ago. I have been eyeing the Moon Dog for quite some time as my next project. I went to order a couple yesterday online and they are no longer there. I went to walmart last night and found out they have discontinued this bike as of a couple of days ago (the orange one). What they have left in the stores is all that will be available according to the manager. So I went on a shopping spree last night getting the last remaining ones in the Kansas City area that I could find. So, if anyone has been thinking about using this bike you better hussle to your local wally world and see if they still have any. Just a tip, ask the manager to clearance the bike out for you if they will. You may save a couple bucks.

Last edited:

Butch K

May 9, 2008
Princeton, MN
It's been over a month and I am still waiting on the parts to replace the defective items that I returned to the supplier. Latest reply from supplier was "We're working on it."

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
Butch - post the NAME of the supplier that's sticking it to you so we know not to buy there. Please.

Wow - discontinued Kulana??? That's like getting rid of the VW Bug!

My guess is that Walmart is saying something like: "Well, the stupid Americans are paying whatever they tell them to at the gas pump, let's raise the prices now on all the alternative transportation choices".... Thanks Walmart - you're truly everything that Sam didn't want you to be!

So what do you all think will replace the Doggie?

Butch K

May 9, 2008
Princeton, MN
The supplier is well respected on this forum so I will not post any names. I have bought several kits from this supplier and never had a problem. But how hard would it be to pull the parts I need from another kit to keep a customer happy.