Large Filipino's bikes

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Let me start with MOOP 2. MOOP 1 was a Diamondback but my rim kept getting bent. It was still ridable but one early morning I looked at my local Craigslist and saw a garage sale ad for a Newspaper Bike. So I rode Cronus over there and she had it way in back behind years of accumulations only a average wife would do to a garage that thinks garages are for their stuff. So after what seemed like tons of stuff moved out of the way there it was. She wanted 60 bucks in the ad. I offered 40. SOLD! :ride: 711.jpg
side view.jpg Because of the graphics,I would say it's early 70's. Could be late 60's. It does ride SMOOTH though and it's been well kepty in storage all these years. It just needed a good greasing and it's absolutely a smooth bike,man. Did I mention this bike rides smooth. Seriously they don't make them quite like this anymore.

Look at this sticker: Reward.jpg
Here's what I think it says:
"REWARD"
For information
leading to the arrest and
(conviction?) of persons taking
papers from this machine for
which they have not paid.
Please contact Rocky Mountain News
893-5370
Then it has those cool wheel guards up front and some old parts by the gooseneck that I believe had something to do with the paper bag.
Man if I had the old paper bags that went on this bike I'd be one happy camper.

So I salvaged my China engine from my Diamond Back and thanked him for a wonderful year. Here's MOOP 2!
1MOOP2.jpg 2MOOP2.jpg

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
The seat came from Zomby Builder. THANK YOU ZOMBY! The tank is salvaged from MOOP1. I used this stuff called water weld I got from Auto Zone to seal up that marine grade cap set up. Then I got a second cap because I had to vent the original cap because it won't run when your tank is sealed.
Here's my vented cap: Gascaprun.jpg
And here's my cap for when I'm storing my bike: GasCapStore.jpg
So right away you can say "well that's neat! Your gas would never evaporate!
True,but here's another benefit: UpSideDown.jpg
Absolutely not a single drop on the ground of gas. Not even from the float bowl!
Another mod that carried over from MOOP1 is my clutch mod. Easy clutch pull. No worries about broken cables.I found an old clamp that worked as a cable holder to the frame. clutch.jpg
My Boost Bottle is upright on purpose. Apparently it needs to be this way. Sure it would look better mounted horizontally but I think this adds a kind of a "mod old" look to it.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Time for the gas station! I keep a small bottle I keep my premix in. Filled to the top is 2 oz good for 1/3 a gallon. So one dollar's worth is about 1/4 of a gallon so I fill up that bottle about 3/4 of the way up. That 3/4 bottle gets poured in my tank:
PreMix.jpg Then my gas GasPour.jpg and I stopped it at 75 cents so people can freak out around me lol!! Sure it's a bit more mix to my gas,but I like to side on the heavy for safety. It's not a whole lot,though. 75cent.jpg HEY! THERE'S ME ON THE REFLECTION!!
So forget your taking your gallon container to mix your gas for your ride. RIDE UP TO THE PUMPS!! And stand PROUD!!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
And here's CRONUS!! I haven't done much to him. Let's see. A truck side swiped me so that knocked my titan kit to the side. Straightened that out. Changed my back wheel thank you Deaf driver in pick up truck.(yes. No lie)
I'll post more of Cronus when I get around. I haven't fiddled with him since I changed the rear sprocket over to a 48 tooth. Oh yes. Top end a bit down but bottom end is teh bomb. I love it set up like this for I don't ride fast anyway.
Chain feels a tad bit loose. I'll give the 1/2 inch nuts a quarter turn all around I guess. I tell you. Get the chain aligned and this bike just doesn't fiddle with you. Oh yea. I just got Cronus a center stand recently. It rules like it was made for the bike. I ride Cronus more than MOOP 2 but man do I love MOOP 2 also!
Two different boys. Two different personalities. Twice the fun!!

Attachments

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Thanks Ilikeabikea!

Here's my future project. My winter warrior. My grocery survivor!
Things are still up in the air for this one for dinero is always tight.
But give it time.
Oh give it time.
bugabike.jpg

Here's two ways I can tackle this.
Photo0260.jpg
Get this chain saw engine up front. I can't weld but I have a drill and access to angle iron and grade 8 hardware. I may need to do away with that centrifugal clutch it looks this way.

Here's the other way.
Free find at Craigslist.
picture 1.jpg

Do you see a trailer pusher in there?

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
The only complaint I have with MOOP2 is the rather narrow handlebar. I guess this is what's popular during this era. I'd LIKE ape hangers but I also like the way these handlebars remind me this is an old bike.
I'm keeping the bars because this is original to the bike.
I'm not changing anything to this bike.
Oh yes,40 bucks I STOLE this bike,man.
Frustrating not finding any real info on it though. I would LOVE to see a picture of these Rocky Mountain News bikes with the way they would have their paper route bags.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Nice bikes, I like MOOP 2.

That little trike is sweet. The frame looks like it would be really easy for anyone that can weld to build. Add some salvaged bike parts, and you've got a cool trike. If it were my trike, I'd try to put a china motor on it behind the seat. That would be awesome.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
With Pablo and Jim's jack shaft kit it would be doable. Getting a big sprocket out back would take MAJOR renovating. Hey! I can change the coaster over to a three speed hub coaster! Then I would have three gears!

Mmmm.. That Jack shaft kit is looking better and better.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Large I do know kind of how to weld. You Live about 6 to 8 hrs away if you want I'd like to build a trike and we might be able to put on hyd rear dics brakes which I think would be very cool and If you want to, do a backwards engine for the sick thing. with the V-stack and a tuned pipe. rotfl
Norman

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I had an EMO moment today and I decided to record it! I was let go of my job of 15 years about a year ago and I'm all EMO about it because I don't have the option of just moving on. I STILL have to go there because my Host Home guy goes to day program there. So as I'm filming that video of me heading to that agency,a cop in a cruiser started rolling down the bike trail towards me. And it's all caught on video! It starts about 3:10.
And I pedal but I keep my engine running and as I pass that cop he just waves at me!
So there you are. Colorado TRULY RULES!!
Just ride SLOW on the trails and enjoy the scenery and let the roadies pass you and you won't become a concern to the cops. Of course there are some exceptions to that rule but that's what I live by.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI4hj9W7ZNc

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Had a bit of a flat on Cronus today. Just a little warning out there. The Wally World bike tubes are too small for any bike tire larger than 26.2.125.
I bought a tire from the bike shop that was a 26.2.200 and the tube I had in there was a slime tube but when inflated the area around the nozzle won't expand like the rest of the tube. So if you get a leak in that area it won't seal.
I ran over to the bike shop(no pics of that) that's right by the trail down town and bought the right tube for that particular tire. It's just a plain Jane tube no slime but it's the right size. So Wal Mart is not always the answer when it comes to bike parts. Sometimes you gotta go to the bike shops.
So with that check out how I change my tube on the road.
I found this rock on the side of the road this goes in my tool pouch. Photo0523.jpg How come? So it will lift my back tire up.(Thank you Niagra bicycles for that center stand!)
Last pic is my wheel off my bike.
I love my center stand.
At the bike shop I couldn't find a big rock so I filled my tool pouch with the colored rocks by the sidewalk.
One trick I like to do when changing a tire that has caliper brakes is to not inflate the tire until it's fully installed. That way it can slide thru your brakes without having to remove the pads. Then once it's installed pump it up. I changed my tube in that pic. I don't mess with patches. Also I don't use tire levers. It's all hands.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thank You for that tube info....I have never patched a tube, I just replace them.

You are soooo lucky to have that stand, I just went threw the same thing and had to do a balancing act with one hand holding the bike up and the other pulling the wheel off. Then once I got the wheel off I had to lean my bike against a bush so it would not fall over.

:ride2:

Last edited: