Is it OK to use the white wire for Kill Switch?

GoldenMotor.com

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
Just looking at the various ignition threads...

The title explains my question. I have been using the white wire for the kill switch not a parallel connection with the main blue & black wires from the ignition circuit.

Is there anything wrong with using the white wire?

Is there anything to be gained by using the main circuit instead?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
The only problem I see using the white wire is that you can't use it for a light. I ride some after dark and sure enjoy having a good light that works off of the white wire. Lots of guys here using it for a kill wire............................

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
Thanks for the speedy reply mate!

I thought so. I believe that is what the dodgy instructions told me to do but it has been years since I read them.

I am looking into a LED Halogen replacement light it pumps out 40W worth of light and drains only 100mA!

The only problem is that it aparently takes 10V minimum but it does take AC or DC.

Do you know if the Magneto puts out a steady 6V AC?

RLorange

Jun 21, 2008
Australia
Sorry that was meant to be 300mA. For the record you can put a 1/2 Amp or 500mA drain on the white wire before the spark is affected... So I am told by 'My Guy'

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my kill switch is hooked up to the white wire,like my manual saids too.
i have a cordless powertool battery to power my lights.
days of power for lights,1 hour to charge.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
I thought that was what the white wire was for , on my first build I connected one wire that had an electrical connection that looks like a washer to one of my muffler studs and the other kill switch wire to the white wire. it worked so I didnt question it till I got to reading these forums. Personally I dont like the idea of draining the small magneto for use as a generator for lights. I would prefer and outside power source such as batteries. this little engine has to work hard enough with out double duty as a generator ya know.