inside the nuvinci hub

GoldenMotor.com

chadlyw1

Nov 28, 2009
Peoria, IL
Locking out the free wheel.. how is that done? Because it is my desire to make one of these work by usuing a sprocket on the disk brake side run by the motor instead of having to use a shift kit. Thanks .....Chadly

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Locking out the free wheel.. how is that done? Because it is my desire to make one of these work by usuing a sprocket on the disk brake side run by the motor instead of having to use a shift kit. Thanks .....Chadly
You should read the top post on the previous page Chandly, but anyway look at what you are proposing...

1. If you directly attach a sprocket to the left side hub of any wheel you make it a single speed direct drive wheel, period. Gears only work from the right side sprocket so it's pretty much a waste of money to add a NuVinci hub just to use it for pedaling only.

2. Part 2 of your plan was to make the pedal side a fixie with no freewheel?
Why would you want your pedals spinning whenever your back wheel turned? Have you ever even rode a fixie bike? The only thing I have ever even seen them on is little BMX stunt bikes so they can pop a wheelie and ride the bike like a unicycle being able to pedal it forwards and backwards to keep balance on just the rear wheel.

In short, if you want to gas motorize a bikes gears you need to power the right side of the wheel and the best way to do that so far is a SickBikes Shift Kit (AKA Jackshaft).

And one other note about even the JS kit, the other crucial part of that kit that few think about is the special Freewheel replacement for all of the bicycles bottom bracket parts except the pedal ends.
I call the Freewheel bearing the Magic piece for good reason.
In short it is the expensive piece and it's price is the sole cost difference between a Standard Kit Freewheel and a Heavy Duty kit Freewheel price.

This part also means a wider sealed bearing cartridge crank axle, the special Freewheel crank bearing and the pedal crank arm that attaches to it and a matching standard crank arm for the left side, and the two new pedal chain ring sprockets that attach to the Freewheel plus a chain guard for it.
Why? Because nobody wants to have no choice but to pedal along with a motor any more than they want to have pedal along on a bicycle like a fixie.

I know you are new and I don't want to leave you thinking I am just being snarky with this post so let me give you a good tip...
Before you start posting about some new way to do something it helps to look and understand how what we use works first and why because if you had read every post in this 11 page topic you have known your idea was impossible ;-}

Last edited: