I'm Legal In Cali!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Just got my bike verified, titled, and license plated in the state of California. It took about 2 hours of talking at the DMV, but its done. No more looking over my shoulder. A few tips.

-Have receipts for your build. Anything is better than nothing.
-When asked what size your engine is, its 49cc.
-There needs to be some type of # on the frame of the bike (anywhere, usually under the crank)
-There needs to be a # on the engine someplace, any # should do
-Bike can not exceed 30mph

Registration, tax/title, and plate all for the low price of $19 in my case.

Good luck gang.

Now where am i gonna mount this sucker? .wee.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you actually went to the DMV and did it?

i've always had to mail them in, the two different DMV's i went to wouldn't accept my money, even though i already had the paperwork from their website filled out and ready to go. both times they told me to send it to sacramento.

49cc doesn't matter. it can be anything under 149cc, otherwise it's a motorcycle. but if the DMV is as uninformed as everyone else is about the mythical "under 50cc" rule, use it if it works for ya.:)

i just got a plate in the mail today for my newest bike. the reg says it was processed Jan 7th, but the check finally cleared today. it normally takes 6 weeks to get it.

mounting them is a hassle 'cause they're so big. i'm making custom brackets to mount them sideways (longways, don't worry, it's legal) near the rear drop outs.

congrats...

mmmmudd

Dec 31, 2010
california
Good times Cory! I"m in CA and slightly dreading dealing with the DMV. . It's very encouraging to see there's folks who've made it through the process.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Any cc is ok. It can be 50cc, 150cc, 250cc, 750cc, etc. as longs as it is 2hp or less.
Well the vehicle inspector said they've turn multiple people away simply because the said it was a 66cc or 80cc, in fact it was the first question they all asked me, so consider yourself warned.

The key to this whole thing is the vehicle verification ( inspection) I didn't even go inside the DMV until this was done. Once they agree it is a motorized vehicle recognized by the state, they MUST provide you with a plate and title/registration.

Lastly this was a one day affair, I left with my plate in hand. I now have a DOT helmet too. Only thing im wondering about is the M2 license? I have an Ohio drivers license so I don't know how they'd issue me such a thing if it's needed?

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
Most states give you a maximum of 90 days to switch your license if you reside there. Here is the fun part, if you are not residing there and have a primary residence in a state that does not require any of the nonsense (north carolina for instance) you could "visit" a state and ride your under 50cc anything (scooter, moped, mB etc) on their roads and pay no attention to the requirements they have for their "residents".

An example of this is if I have no emmissions requirement in Texas on my truck and Alabama does and I drive through on a trip to Florida....I don't have to get emissions testing in all the states that I travel. This being the case, a North Carolina State ID would suffice as having my bike registered in my home state. I happen to have one of those.

So you carrying an Ohio DL, you have to obey the Ohio laws concerning your MB. If you are and you produce that ID then the Cali law is pretty much irrelevant.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Most states give you a maximum of 90 days to switch your license if you reside there. Here is the fun part, if you are not residing there and have a primary residence in a state that does not require any of the nonsense (north carolina for instance) you could "visit" a state and ride your under 50cc anything (scooter, moped, mB etc) on their roads and pay no attention to the requirements they have for their "residents".

An example of this is if I have no emmissions requirement in Texas on my truck and Alabama does and I drive through on a trip to Florida....I don't have to get emissions testing in all the states that I travel. This being the case, a North Carolina State ID would suffice as having my bike registered in my home state. I happen to have one of those.

So you carrying an Ohio DL, you have to obey the Ohio laws concerning your MB. If you are and you produce that ID then the Cali law is pretty much irrelevant.
Great info.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH

so what about NH laws where the law is there is no laws? mite want to change my official residence to NH then for my summer trip if all goes well huh?

since MA needs a drivers license to drive one legally, which i dont have >.>

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
If it came down to it and you got ticketed or whatever you would have to prove that you reside in NH and were just traveling into MA. In that case you are covered under NH law as any citizen in any of the 50 states is afforded the protection of their own state no matter where they are. Most laws are crap but this maxim in the law is pretty good if you are from a less strict state on some things.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
If it came down to it and you got ticketed or whatever you would have to prove that you reside in NH and were just traveling into MA. In that case you are covered under NH law as any citizen in any of the 50 states is afforded the protection of their own state no matter where they are. Most laws are crap but this maxim in the law is pretty good if you are from a less strict state on some things.
my summer trip is planning to go from MA to CA on a 2 stroke, think a NH id would be enough to prove that in the middle of nowhere?

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
There is no guarantee on the side of the road when you meet up with Sheriff Billy Bob, however the law does not change when you get to the court/judge at the end of the day.

That is an ambitious goal on the old 2 strokes, I am going to assume you are going with a Morini engine? I am seriously thinking about going from here to the East coast and back on a china kit (with an entire back up engine kit and other typical bike stuff). It would be a heck of an adventure. I understand that most things mechanical can be fixed with some bailing wire and some duct tape HARHAR

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
this thread makes no sense anymore. ther is no 50cc law in california. and scotchmo says you can have as many cc's as possible, but that's not true either.

a motorized bicycle, as defined by the DMV, is 2hp, and that's it. a motorcycle is defined as a two wheeled vehicle with 150cc displacement or more. so even if you're higher than 150cc's but less than 2 hp (but what kinda crappy motor would that be?) you're still technically a motorcycle.

me and scotchmo keep going round and round about the laws, but it doesn't really matter much. it is what it is.

the main thing is, the thread-starter has his plate, and is on his way to being legal and legit, so anyone not from california, or someone from here with his own interpretation of the law doesn't matter.

so again, congrats. good job.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
There is no guarantee on the side of the road when you meet up with Sheriff Billy Bob, however the law does not change when you get to the court/judge at the end of the day.

That is an ambitious goal on the old 2 strokes, I am going to assume you are going with a Morini engine? I am seriously thinking about going from here to the East coast and back on a china kit (with an entire back up engine kit and other typical bike stuff). It would be a heck of an adventure. I understand that most things mechanical can be fixed with some bailing wire and some duct tape HARHAR
ive considered using a plain old china girl but some people say that htose things rarely make it past like 3,000 miles, so robbing all of its life in 1 way of the trip seems lame. i'm considering a GT50R kit from thatsdax. from my understanding the better built 2 strokes have a much longer life expectancy which is good because i'd be going nearly 6,000 miles on it.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This is all well and fine and seeing as how I've always held an M1 licence in THIS state I'll ride any damn thing on two wheels that I please (legally) thank you very much.....drive thru!

Know the laws and git on with yer bad self!dnut

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Which DMV did you go to in what city?
I don't think most CA DMV's have the license plates there on hand.

You could get a motorcycle endorsement on your Ohio drivers license.
Do you have one?
That is a M1 in California which covers all motorcycles, motor assisted
cycles and mopeds/ motorized bicycles.
It is much better to get a M1 and it is no harder to get than a M2.

California moped / motorized bicycle vehicle codes say nothing about 50 cc or engine size.
However they do say 2 HP or less.

Well the vehicle inspector said they've turn multiple people away simply because the said it was a 66cc or 80cc, in fact it was the first question they all asked me, so consider yourself warned.

The key to this whole thing is the vehicle verification ( inspection) I didn't even go inside the DMV until this was done. Once they agree it is a motorized vehicle recognized by the state, they MUST provide you with a plate and title/registration.

Lastly this was a one day affair, I left with my plate in hand. I now have a DOT helmet too. Only thing im wondering about is the M2 license? I have an Ohio drivers license so I don't know how they'd issue me such a thing if it's needed?

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
This is all well and fine and seeing as how I've always held an M1 licence in THIS state I'll ride any damn thing on two wheels that I please (legally) thank you very much.....drive thru!

Know the laws and git on with yer bad self!dnut
Nice! I had one of those M1 endorsements for a spell. Funny thing is 20 years of riding street legal motorcycles it has never once came up as an issue whether I had it or not. They don't have any reason to pull me over to even check. Moving violations on my record=0

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Nice! I had one of those M1 endorsements for a spell. Funny thing is 20 years of riding street legal motorcycles it has never once came up as an issue whether I had it or not. They don't have any reason to pull me over to even check. Moving violations on my record=0
Wow, I am truly not impressed. 30+ years on 2-wheeled everything.....moving violations, the same = 0. Any questions???

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/texas-law-engine-assisted-bicycle-268.html

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I feel so blessed to live (& ride) in Los Angeles... The only thing the police here really want from us is to wear helmets & have front & rear lights at night!
Having a M1 or M2 license, & plates for the bikes has never been a issue. (but we have 'em just in case.) We don't mount the plates on the bikes, we just keep photo copies of them with us. ;)

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
Re: I'm Legal In Oregon too!!!!

I did the whole DMV hoop dance in Oregon. I did it but it was alot more expensive. $144 total for 4 years registration, Title and fee, and VIN inspection fee $5. It took 6 weeks for all the papers and plates to come. (I also have progressive insurance as 49cc PUCH other model not listed, for $6.25 a month). They just really seemed baffled by me, I had all 9 possible forms they could have asked for like the EPA exemption, The NTSI safety equipment conforming form, the assembled vehicle form, etc. Every time they had a question, I had an answer "yep its 49cc, its EPA exempt, Its a Puch frame see the stickers (they've made bikes since 1884), Ive got all required equipment, turns, lights, horn, brake light, I assembled it here's your form for that too. They finally relented, isnpected my frame# then gave me an assigned VIN sticker, took my check, and sent the paperwork to the main office saying "we don't know if they will do it" but the beaurocrat at central just processed it and sent me the title, reg., and plates. I always wear a DOT helmet and carry my insurance card. Then if a cop is nice a chat them up about building it, if they are dicks I show them the papers and tell em' to piss off eh! JUST OBEY TRAFFIC LAWS duh!! I love it, no more hassles, its worth it. I do have to quote them the laws and give the the statute # occasionally but if I am nice and have the answers they want they always let me go.dance1

micro image

Jan 27, 2011
SoCal
This is a great thread, but I'm a newb and a little confused.

For a motorized bicycle in CA with a manual clutch (which according to my reading isn't a scooter or a motorcycle or a moped):

What license am I required to have, if any? M1 or just M2?
What equipment must be on the bike to pass at DMV and get a plate? Is a plate required?

Thanks in advance, I couldn't find a clear explanation.