If you had it to do over again ...

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by bjaspud, Feb 14, 2009.

1. bjaspud

bjaspud New Member

Hi, I'm a newbie here. I've been on-line for a few days soaking up as much knowledge as I can before posting. First let me say that I'm hooked. I can't wait to order a kit and start building.

The first question is .... do I build using a single speed bike or do I start off with 10 speed mountain bike? Which should I choose and why? Pros - Cons?

Thanks,
    Spud

2. brisbane_boy

brisbane_boy New Member

hey spud. Welcome. It all depens on what you want to use ur bike for? My 1st build was a 21 speed mountain bike. And ill admit i never changed gear.
    I think that if you got a old mountain bike the ones with the larger frame they engine should just bolt staigh on and be alot less complicated.

3. Dave31

Dave31 Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us.

Mine is a single speed, I would rather have a multi speed bike. I have a lot of trouble taking off from a dead stop. There are times at higher speeds I would like to pedal and help my motor out but I just do not have the gear to do it.

4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Well-Known Member

I'd find a dual-suspension 21-speed bike with disc brakes that'd accept rack-mount and frame-mount.

5. Rayzor

Rayzor New Member

Im going to build mine as a 21 speed. My bike will be my only transportation anywhere and the gears do help a bunch up hills that your motor cant climb.

6. Laker

Laker New Member

I'm going to use a three speed Shimano Worksman Industrial News Boy as my base . Depends on topograhpy.

7. TexasDav

TexasDav New Member

Always good to start with a heavy duty bike

8. tyrslider

tyrslider New Member

Worksmans Are Great! I have one I'm gonna stuff a 4 stroke into for a very good friend of mine! It's gonna be 8 speed Sturmey Hub w/ 11g spokes, front drum and suspension. Good times! Love the rear dropouts you can run a bmx chain tensioner on your axle!

Brisbanes right the old chromoly mtb's are a good 1st build! They handle well too!

#8 tyrslider, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009