I saw a bike

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
today at the thrift store. I have never seen one like it. It had hand brakes on front and rear wheels and a cable that ran to the axle but only had on two positions. Anybody know what it is. Also only had one sprocket on the front and rear

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Since I have had sooo many cruiser bikes with worn out rear wheels, I think i'll stay away from this kind of bike but it is interesting to note.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Deacon
I had a bike like that when I was a kid 3 speed with a twist grip shifter. Made in England. I sold around 60 cased of Christmas cards to get the bike. 12 Boxes of cards in each case. I think they were $2.00 then. I learned to sell stuff by doing that I was scared to talk to people then.
But I got over it and sold all the cards within a year my granddad helped me to get started as he was a good salesman and had worked in stores as a salesman he would tell me what to say and turn me lose he helped me out quite a bit. Man that was along time ago I think I was 10 or 11 then.
Norman.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yeah like i said bike has to be worn out lol...but it had one big butted frame. I never saw the cable going right to the hub before, but I have seen a few three speed bikes with really wimpy frames but they had multiple sprockets on the rear.

You know I have learned enough about chains to know I can use a rear coaster wheel and a front mtb crank by using a coaster chain on it. Now If i were going to build the ideal bike, I would get hold a mountain bike frame. big and strong, then take off the rear wheel since I'm never going to use gears when I can throttle up. Add a new 20" coaster wheel for the stability and braking control. remove the rear brake, but leave the control cable to use on the clutch. Use the shifter as a thumb throttle instead of that plastic thing that comes in the kit. I think that would about do it. In other words the bike I have now but bigger stronger and will all new parts.

Last edited: