Hybrid research

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
On another thread a pure hybrid has been discussed, using a generator providing power either directly to a hub motor or to charge the batteries. Does anyone have any have any experience of controllers and batteries for such a system?

Reactions: indian22

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
An English discussion:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/electric-petrol-hybrid-bike.184050/

My thoughts are that a 50cc scooter engine, with everything nonessential stripped off it, would have a pulley suitable for driving a car alternator. Now, everyone thinks these days about nicads, but the lead acid lump isn't dead yet. A big motorcycle battery could be a starting point. This is just thinking out loud, I am not going to build it, but if we can produce a file of information and record of the failures as well as success, this thread will be doing it's job.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Just dialogue for now but yes the inquiry & any progress or failures along the way have proven most useful in the past.. Initial thoughts are likely proved insufficient or totally wrong under scrutiny...yet understanding undoubtedly improved during the process. Thanks for all input.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ludwig the Chinese built NiCad motorcycle batteries have also decreased in price, but lead is proven a safe though heavy power storage and supply. This thread started with tandem bikes, yet the thought has occurred to me in the past of an electric wheel on my sidecar. The batteries acting as the ballast load would benefit the handling manners of the rig sans passenger or with the human (dog) cargo.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The batteries used in the sidecar would permit the removal of the bike's item as well. A bike alternator throws out what? 120-150w? It's enough to charge the batteries for the reversing and a little bit more.

CrazyDan

Apr 9, 2018
Yucaipa, CA
I've been wanting to see a series hybrid bike like locomotives and ships use. The gas engine would run at way lower rpms so would be more efficient than having it directly attached to the wheel. It could solely power a battery bank or directly drive an e-hub or center mount motor. This way we can get the range of a gas bike but the instant torque of an electric motor. I think the only problem with it would be size, it would need to be in a sidecar or trailer, otherwise if rack mounted would be too top heavy. Probably best done with a trike.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ludwig I'd guess that you're close on that estimate for wattage. I'd also estimate that a typical outing for me would not involve backing the rig more than 50 feet. I'd think a bmx size electric hub would keep the wheel profile at about the same height I have in mind, 23"or so.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I've been wanting to see a series hybrid bike like locomotives and ships use. The gas engine would run at way lower rpms so would be more efficient than having it directly attached to the wheel. It could solely power a battery bank or directly drive an e-hub or center mount motor. This way we can get the range of a gas bike but the instant torque of an electric motor. I think the only problem with it would be size, it would need to be in a sidecar or trailer, otherwise if rack mounted would be too top heavy. Probably best done with a trike.
Interesting input Dan. We've bounced about some on the platforms that might host hybred setups of various types & trikes are actually good candidates as are trailer supported setups. Some combinations are going to be hard to configure on some platforms. Trikes powered by electric hubs on both rear wheel and running a small gas engine/alt for charging batteries and cap could really benefit from the larger load platform of the trike and the step through frame could easily be used for mounting of a small gas motor. It's a bit like playing with Legos!

Rick C.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
A motor able to deliver 1kw/1.3hp should be able to drive an alternator of 500w; I found it a good rule of thumb with a small 650w generator I had that the load an electronic device pulled was twice it's output. I have met a few people who were disgusted at a 1kw genny cutting out when they plgged a 750 microwave into it. I've given up trying to explain to them.

Honda have made some intriguing generators in the past, including a really small 2 stroke dc job, but I can't remember the model number or description.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
There's a lot of good food for thought in that thread Dan. I'll require some time to digest it all. Actually my current requirements for power on the sidecar application (reversing from a parking spot etc.) are so basic & minimal that charging every week at home wouldn't be a nuisance at all., but for most power applications, totally powering a bike, trike etc. that would be rather impractical or impossible for extended range cycling and of course my plan to use a lot of heavy battery weight for car balance and control would be a huge negative.

Looking at hybrid power in the wider spectrum of cycling is of course the reason for further inquiry and discussion. I'm such a newbie when it comes to the use of electric power that virtually everything discussed is new to me. I'm going into this with very few preconceived notions, but much interest.

Rick C.

Last edited: