Hybrid research

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm going hybrid with the Lifan 3 hp and Comet CVT, but leaving the straddle tube as is and instead cutting the head tube /bottom bracket tube to gain space for motor mounting. I'll leave the batteries on the carrier rack and use a peanut tank for fuel. I'll probably convert the left side brake lever to use as a throttle for the Lifan.

Rick C.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Great thread!

But I'll confess I know little of electronics or alternators- you might have seen my thread on hoverboard packs or the new 30-40 packs of li-po cells in battery section of forum.

What might work- though not with any regen capacity- is just a two pound pack (about 4 miles range) and a wheel hub- and a good old 50 or 66 China Girl (I've given up hope they'll ever build a 33cc version for a lighter bike) -

so anyway- with minimal weight intrusion 2 pounds battery , 5 extra pounds for hub motor and one pound for controller and cables- Total = 8 lbs-

the electric used in parking lots or crowded places, AND to power the bike up to 10 or 12 or whatever mph, to pop the old China Girl clutch and take off down the road

decent 700c touring bike 26-28 lbs, China kit 15 lbs and electric set 8 lbs Total around 50 lbs- not a bad little machine- I already have a 50 cc cruiser frame with 50 China girl and 700c wheels that's a shade under 40 lbs-, so under 50 quite possible and this could be a lighter frame still

but alas Babylon, batteries charged at home.
2011_0106ank0013.JPG

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Yep read some of your previous posts N. Kat & liked them. Good looking cat by the way. Your last post this forum is a good example of why. You're coming at the use of hybrid setups from quite practical takes & that's refreshing. My fat bike project isn't a lightweight by a long shot, yet your basic premises are still applicable during the daily ride. The use of the China girl that one already has on a bike that you own, coupled to a hub of whatever wattage, makes sense, as does keeping the weight down. Use of what ever it takes to be pedestrian friendly in high foot traffic environments is important to help limit the amount of legislation passed to regulate the use of motorized bicycles regardless of engine type. I have no problem walking my bike with a crowd at festivals etc. It's just good public relations & make new friends as well.

One great advantage of an electric is it's use to get you rolling without clutch slippage and the resulting pad wear, excessive pedaling or super low gearing being involved. Wise use of the pedals when coupled with electric assist takeoffs can extend the batteries as well and the higher gearing improves fuel mileage while allowing decent speeds for commutes, at lower rpm...which will extend engine life.

I'm not an e expert either so I enjoy the technical posts as well, but I am a daily rider year round and what I build has to function in my world & to my expectations...durability, dependability and safety are always high on my list of goals for a successful build.

My son graduated from Vanderbilt University. & I've always thought Nashville a great city

Rick C.