Huffy Davidson

GoldenMotor.com

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
The bike first I built, a 2016 Huffy Classic. It worked until July of that year when all things Bike Berry took a chit. between rag joints and engine mounts.
It worked.
Sort of. Chain line from transfer case to wheel sprocket, was never right.
Two things cause that. Rag joints are fixed, and engine mounts were engineered for late 19th century Safety bicycles.
The off shore manufactures just kept selling engine mounts for that style frame, disregarding the Huffy Beach Cruiser frame dimensions.
Imported 415 chain stretch, Junk and the junk Huasheng stock carb. No Bueno.
I have a NT carb and manifold,
This is a work in progress. A proper engine mount of a 49cc Huasheng engine, will be task #1.
Tom
1619839313021.png

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
The bike first I built, a 2016 Huffy Classic. It worked until July of that year when all things Bike Berry took a chit. between rag joints and engine mounts.
It worked.
Sort of. Chain line from transfer case to wheel sprocket, was never right.
Two things cause that. Rag joints are fixed, and engine mounts were engineered for late 19th century Safety bicycles.
The off shore manufactures just kept selling engine mounts for that style frame, disregarding the Huffy Beach Cruiser frame dimensions.
Imported 415 chain stretch, Junk and the junk Huasheng stock carb. No Bueno.
I have a NT carb and manifold,
This is a work in progress. A proper engine mount of a 49cc Huasheng engine, will be task #1.
Tom
View attachment 107085
I’m in !!!

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Last edited:

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Huffy 26 in. Deluxe Mens Classic Cruiser - Walmart.com - Walmart.com
All stock but the gas tank. I emailed Huffy and got a paint number which I cannot find at present.
Gas tank was done with Krylon Classic Grey/gloss. Somewhere I got the Huffy number.
Classic Gray Krylon ColorMaster Gloss Spray Paint & Primer | Hobby Lobby | 1384
The Huffy number would spec powder coat. Just so ya know.
For the record. Huffy was 149.99 on sale for 119.99 April 2016 at Fleet and Farm. Menomonee Falls, WI
Tom
That’s cool, don’t knock yourself looking out for it I’m a spray can kind of guy for the most part

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Jeez, been over a year since I started this thread.
All our consulting with Nighster on his Huffy build me caused to purchase Husky wheels on Curt's recommendation and Wald mudguard struts which I shared with Danny. And then I stopped. Not a brain fart, just how can one justify improving a POS Huffy? Making a motorized bicycle fundamentally safe has to be #1.
The Huffy is currently powered with a 49cc HuaSheng engine and BBR reduction transmission which works just fine.
I have a fairly fresh 79cc Predi on the bench. A full setup Q-Matic from Lynne of MBrebel for a 79cc engine.
Pondering furiously.

Tom

Reactions: fasteddy

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Using a Dremel I cleaned up the snagy weld joints on the front and rear Husky wheels and I hope the use of clear fingernail polish minimizes such rough spots. May give em a second coat. The stock Huffy inner tubes are junk.
Went to Wally World for Goodyear inner tubes where I got the set that have served My Sportsman Flyer well.
Store has been revamped to come into compliance with all other Super Store footprints. I see shyt canning warm bodies replaced with robots. But I digress. The local store used to stock a ample supply of Goodyear inner tubes.
All gone. Bell junk and some other brand X, are all they are stocking.
So good ol' Amazon to the rescue. I might add that the local pro shop does not carry Goodyear inner tubes.
Guess who did not get my patronage?

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Interesting problem. After my Sportsman Flyer build which had full funding, I have two springer forks still in the box. a Monarch repop and a threadless Sunlite. Both are painted black and just to match the frame and mud guards will have repainted. The Monarch is lighter built. Pondering.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Your safe,Tom. Gas has done me in for another year. To get to Silverbear's and back would cost me around $4,000 in our much depleted coin of the realm.

But there may be a next year. I'll tweak my nit picking to a higher level in anticipation. The bike looks great.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Can you fancy an epic journey Steve? A tent and two Tricar's, lashed atop a flatbed heading East? More mischief than you could have imagined in your Salad Days. With Pitchers for all posterior. :D Youtubes even.
Trudeau pinning the Provincial Crazy Old Fart Medal of Superfluous Expediency upon you puffed up chest.
I'd go for the Flat car even when the Club Car beckoned. You don't get the medal for nuthin.

Tom

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Saturday's recoat with clear nail polish has produced finish to the front wheel rim. While waiting for the Goodyear inner tubes via Amazon arriving 6/15. I dropped the stock wheel from the front fork.

The Husky front wheel is fitted with a Sturmy Archer drum hub brake and comes complete with all fork fittings for proper brake function.

So there comes the plan. A stock Huffy Beach Cruiser is a tolerable ride. Powered to 35mph ? Suffer.

1. I don't intend to keep the machine, so the Law of Diminishing Returns is a factor in sale or gifting.

2. I have a 2016 Monark II NIB that was intended for my Flyer build which would improve riding comfort. But on close examination the fork has no provisions for attaching a fender at all or hub brakes! The stock photos of all Monark builds are fender less.

3. I think regrettably the stock rigid fork will stay and so keeping the stock fender.

4. Rag Joint mounted 31T drive sprocket on the Huffy rear wheel, has been powered by a BBR 49cc HuaSheng engine which has had enough steam to make 35mph in a head wind.

5. Removed the engine for now. Universal BBR engine mount is getting binned in favor of a custom engine mount designed expressly to mount to Cranbrook frame tubes and a perfect chain line from the transfer case to the drive sprocket.

6. Re-machine a existing sprocket adapter to fit a Shimano 110 coaster hub.

Tom