Huffy Davidson WLA Build

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Just recently treated myself to one of those 'leccy powerfiles aka mini belt sander. Looked around on eBay and bought the one which came with 40 x different grit belts for the same price some sellers were asking for the file and ONE belt. Fantastic deal. And a real time-saver compared to hand filing. Recommended.

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Two endorsements back to back for a electric version of a Dyna File
Use only Norton abrasives. MSC is a likely source.
Sanding Belt Replacement Belt Size: 1/2" x 18-1/4", or 1/2 x 18 should work.
60grit hogging,120.220 and 320 grit will reduce and produce better grades of finish. The higher grades as the grit breaks down enter the realm of polish.
But, Norton USA gives the best reliable abrasive products. Fifty years in the trade, has made me particular about what I use.
Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
When I was looking the Wen sander over this morning I found out it has an adjustable speed control. Nice to have when your trying to tickle up a spot that you shouldn't be sticking the belt into. With the belt running at a fast rate it can get interesting in a hurry where as a slow speed gives you better control and less chance of kick back or binding.

The belts are Norton. I have always had luck with the brand myself.

Steve.

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Some nice homemade belt sanders have been made powered by air die grinders and such. I can't remember what it's name but there is a conical drill attachment made with overlapping sandpaper that works good for smoothing fillet brazing on tubing, it gets the tight areas and you can lay it down and rotate the conical drum around the joint.

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Just compress the top springs more to balance the height. Upper springs are lighter gage and are just for looks..
Tom
Too late chopped my Harley lower springs. Wasn’t worried about the height as much as width on the lower springs. Looks more balanced now. I can only go so high on the lower springs anyway because of the fake triple tree.

I think it looks good.

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Just compress the top springs more to balance the height. Upper springs are lighter gage and are just for looks..
Tom
You were right Tom. The compressed spring on the left looks much better than the one on the right. Have to cut my tubes off some more and weld new bolts on

Attachments

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
Tilt the saddle 10 to 15 degrees. Nose high. You will get the good of the saddle springs. I bought a sprung seat post from MBrebel. My prostate didn't like it. Rick posted one that looked like a good one.
Tom
Yeah I kind of had it angled where I thought it would probably touch the gas tank or be close to it. It’s all adjustable though

Nightster

Mar 3, 2021
Texas
So today I got my center stand.

also chopped the springer forks more to compress the top springs a bit more. I have some PVC in the center of the springs for alignment. They are painted green and brown. Don’t have a can of black paint in the house lol

Attachments