Huffy Cranbrook or Schwinn Jaguar

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Creative Engineering, Jan 4, 2009.

1. lamarenzo

lamarenzo New Member

huffy i like schwinn but the huffy is basic so it allows me to have more money to upgrade what i want of the bike.

2. AaronF

AaronF New Member

Are these kits for sale yet?:D

3. Creative Engineering

I had originally planned on doing bike specific kits. A better plan was to create parts that can be fitted to a large percentage of the bikes that are readily available. This helps to keep costs down.

The motor mount is finished, and will fit a wide variety of bicycle makes/models.

By ordering the individual components, the builder gets a kit that eliminates 90% of the hassles associated with installing the HT engine.

Manic Mechanic

Jim

4. silverbear

silverbear The Boy Who Never Grew Up

That sounds wise, Jim. You never know if Schwinn or Huffy decides to pull a model anyway. I'll be interested to see how these may apply to older bikes, say Schwinns from the fifties and sixties. Frame designs were the same for many models. We'll learn as we go which bikes use the same mount configuration and a data base will grow. Sounds good.
    SB

5. Greased

Greased New Member

1 vote Schwinn. Make a quality kit for a quality bike. And people will buy it.
    Let me know, **** I might buy it.

6. weekend-fun

weekend-fun New Member

Toatlly want it!!!

7. GeneFiorot

GeneFiorot New Member

Well you better order you Motor Mount now before there ain't no mo. duh hello anyone home?

8. mbneophite

mbneophite New Member

First my vote, Huffy Cranbrook, I just bought one for this project. Second is there a comercially alvil bracket yet for the motor mount?

9. trackfodder

trackfodder Member

I wouldn't hesitate to buy Huffy. The house version is FAR superior to the model they sell Walmart. Huffy will stand behind their product and go the extra mile to be sure you are satisfied.
    I hvn't paid much attention to Schwinn but I'll bet it isn't as good as the origional stuff. It's a shame Arnold, Sam, Col Sanders, and Walt Disney can't come back long enough to kick some major A--.

10. chainmaker

chainmaker New Member

Been Here and Gone ,....hopefully he starts offering them again.

Cheers

11. r00t4rd3d

r00t4rd3d New Member

Couple expensive motor mounts here :

Performance Parts and Accessories

I would like to try one but Im not paying for a mount that cost more then my entire project.

12. Jim C

Jim C New Member

I have a recently completed Jaguar. I think the same frame is used on several Schwinns so the Jag mount might be better. Something to be considered in a kit would be a chain length that would eliminate the dreaded chain tensioner. My experience with my kit was that it reayy was not a turn key build (lotta problems) It is a really good idea and a nice tuned kit that would bolt up would sure be worth it.

Jim C

13. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

Jim,
    Its not chain length that dictates if a tensioner is required but frame design and clearance. A bike equipped with with horizontal drop outs and chain stays wide enough for chain clearance does not require a tensioner. Many have successfully gone that route. Consider using the tensioner on the pedal chain and maintaining engine chain tension by either shimming the engine at the rear mount or, if you have them, use the drop out adjustment and half links. The Jag is a great platform for a motorized bicycle; I have two of them and their only shortcoming is the close coupled seat. A lay-back seat post greatly improves the comfort of the ride.
    Tom